Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

virginiawoolf
Nominee

Post by virginiawoolf »

Last edited by virginiawoolf on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: 2 Contrasting monologues - please help!

Post by pg »

Don't panic - breathe! :lol:

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to go for one classical and one modern. There isn't a lot of time, so I wouldn't worry at this stage to much about choosing something extra original. What will be useful to you will be the work they do with you on the speeches, though I am sure they will also talk about the choices you make.

You are there to learn - this is not a drama school audition - so you are quite right that you want to get as much out of it as possible. I think that therefore the best thing is to choose a couple - from monologue selections if that's all you can get your hands on - and learn them as well as you can in the time. That way you can make the most of any work you do on them.

I would avoid the West Country one if you can't do the accent - especially if you don't know the play.

If you can't get to any bookshops and you have no modern monologues or plays to hand - then how about choosing two out of copyright plays? Most of these appear on the internet somewhere. Obviously, all Shakespeare's plays are on line - but you can probably find some early 20th century work on line too.

There are quite a few websites where you can download scripts (stagescripts is one - and you can also see selections/snippets for nothing) and amazon or similar deliver very quickly.

I would ask around people you know for recommendations - or go to your library perhaps?

Henna Night by Amy Rosenthal is a two hander one-act play for two young women. Really quick to read and full of great speeches. You may not be able to get hold of it (it's published by French's) but if you can, that's one recommendation :)

Another thing is - don't choose anything too long. If the time limit you've been given is 2 to 3 minutes (for example), then opt for something nearer 2 minutes. It's quite long enough to do useful work on and obviously quicker to learn! Best of luck!
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

DNA by Dennis Kelly has some good contemporary monologues for a young adult female. For a slightly more edgy monologue, check out Mogadishu by Vivienne Franzmann. However, at this stage, I would advise that it's probably best to go with something you know and can perform confidently than trying anything new. The techniques you learn will help you choose and prepare your monologues for your auditions proper! Good luck and enjoy \:D/
virginiawoolf
Nominee

Post by virginiawoolf »

pg, sapphire - thank you both for taking the time to write all the super helpful advice!

I am currently on holiday, not much internet, don't get back until the night before the course... This will be fun :roll: 8)