GCSE drama

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

oscar
GRAMMY Award

GCSE drama

Post by oscar »

DS has just been told that it is compulsory for him to have a gcse in drama to take a performing arts A level at college. His school doesn't teach this. They have said that they may condider grade 5 in drama or dance but would prefer a gcse. He has loads of experience but no piece of paper. Is there anyone who lives in the Southampton area who could suggest anywhere? I seem to be drawing a blank. Thank you :D
obsteve
GRAMMY Award

Re: GCSE drama

Post by obsteve »

Hi Oscar

I have taught GCSE Drama online before. It would depend very much on your DS' school, and some investigation would need doing, but I would be happy to help out if I can

Send me a private message and I would be happy to give you a call and discuss possibilities

Best wishes,

Steve
Click on the image above to go to our website
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

This seems a bit perverse! My dd did A level Theatre Studies without having done GCSE drama (because it wasn't available at her school). Hope you can get it sorted out.
shortguy
GRAMMY Award

Post by shortguy »

My son did both but it certainly wasnt a condition of doing the A level to have the GCSE
"Never look down on anybody else unless you are helping them up"
Coco
GRAMMY Award

Post by Coco »

We've just put in our applications to several sixth form schools/colleges for our dd and none of them said they couldn't take it if they hadn't done it at gcse! They generally asked for English instead (at least grade B) if it hadn't been studied previously. Aren't there any schools with sixth forms or any other colleges you can apply for in striking distance for you ?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I agree that is is a really silly rule and to me speaks of lazy teaching at A level if they can not cope with students who have not done GCSE.

I did A Level theatre studies (years ago) and my school didn't offer GCSE drama. The school dd will go to also only covers it at A level too.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

The thing to remember that if the A level is a popular one, and their results are good, then it's going to be a fairly intensive course, and it may simply be that the school know the GCSE spec very well - and know what every person who took it has already done. So they don't have to start at the bottom. They know the kids will already have been introduced to certain areas, and can happily just start building on a solid foundation. If just one person has not got this knowledge, then they need to devote time starting right at the beginning again. If applications are good, why would they risk it? Beginners at 16 are often set entry hurdles. Some are even more strict - you won't get on an A Level or a Level 3 BTEC without having usually 4 A-C grades at GCSE. Some will want 4 A-C grades in particular subjects, and some might consider anything below a B as not good. Equally, some will happily ignore a stray D if they are really keen on getting them.

It's just the way it works. If they have more applicants than places, then they will take the best - for the rest of the kids in the class, that is better.
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Thank you for your thoughts. I find this so silly that no exceptions can be made. He has so much experience, that you would think that it would count for something, but they say not.There are no other quality colleges locally that offer a peforming Arts A level and even with the right qualifications the competition for places at the college is high. Teaching drama online is a very interesting idea and one that I haven't thought of so thank you & I will Pm you for more details.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Exceptions can indeed be made - but they rarely audition for A Level. it's just not necessary - as pretty well student profiles remain fairly constant. They are more interested in their ability to answer essay style questions, evaluate and analyse. You can be pretty hopeless in the acting department, but the course isn't acting - it's kind of the 'whole' thing. Drama is kind of a season ticket - solves a multitude of their problems - and of course, their concern could be that if somebody loves performing, why didn't they do drama? If his school didn't do it, I assume he got his experience and liking outside? You could be cheeky and put 3 year membership of XYZ theatre company and see if that works!
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Obsteve have sent you a PM, but it's still showing in my outbox. Please let me know if you don't receive it.