Auditioning and 18th birthday celebrations

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Auditioning and 18th birthday celebrations

Post by lawn »

Daughter will be auditioning for Sept next year 2021. I've recently realised that her 18th birthday will fall in the Easter hols next year. My son will be 21 in the same month.

We'd really like to go away preferably to New York to mark their 21st and 18th birthdays and being able to do this for daughter's 18th when their repective university and college will be closed is fantastic BUT I'm worried that any dates we book may clash with any auditons and she'd have to miss out.

Going earlier ie at Xmas time isn't really an option, for various reasons and including that eldest one wouldn't be able to have a drink as he won't be 21.

Daughter will be looking at degree funded courses, and I'm accepting that we may have to pay for a foundation year if that's all she's offerred.

Courses funded by Dada's are unlikely that we'll look at due to being towards the higher end of the fees that we'd have to pay if daughter was selected for one and paying for all accommodation and living costs. Just in case that makes any difference

Any thoughts about if or when we could go away next year or by Easter is it all over anyway?
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: Auditioning and 18th birthday celebrations

Post by riverdancefan »

It’s not always all over by Easter, so many variables and differences in colleges. Plus you haven’t said which ones you are looking at.
Why don’t you postpone the NYC trip and go and celebrate once offers come in and she can relax properly? We didn’t plan anything when DS was auditioning for college, it’s a headache and you can bet whatever you do it will clash ...I would wait.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

riverdancefan wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:17 pm It’s not always all over by Easter, so many variables and differences in colleges. Plus you haven’t said which ones you are looking at.
Why don’t you postpone the NYC trip and go and celebrate once offers come in and she can relax properly? We didn’t plan anything when DS was auditioning for college, it’s a headache and you can bet whatever you do it will clash ...I would wait.
Totally agree - the whole audition process can be very stressful for students and parents and I'm sure as Riverdancefan suggests - going away after it's all over will mean a more relaxing time for all
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Thanks for the responses. I don't know which ones she'll be applying to this point. At what point is it 'all over?' in the calendar year.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

lawn wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:24 pm Thanks for the responses. I don't know which ones she'll be applying to this point. At what point is it 'all over?' in the calendar year.
My daughter has an audition on her 18th in March this year! Most colleges seem to have given a choice of dates except a couple. As other people have said it is all quite stressful and my daughter is finding that combined with her 3 a levels and dancing too it's full on! Her first audition is 6th feb and last currently 5th march unless she has recall auditions. She's applied to 6.