drama school reserve list

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

drama school reserve list

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Has anybody got any experience of being on a reserve list for an Acting place at drama school? I don't mean for MT where the cohorts are large, and lists move a lot, but in this case for a drama school with 16 places? DS has a place at a very good school (in my opinion) but he has heard he is on the reserve list at one he would really love. He will have to accept or decline the firm offer by mid-May. I have no idea how likely it is that a place might come through for him at his preferred choice - I suspect it's fairly unlikely - and how he should play this. Having had a sniff of the one he really wants, he's saying he will decline his other offer and audition again next year. He's only 17, so he has time, but I am worried it's a big gamble. Anyone with experience of this sort of situation got any advice?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Re: drama school reserve list

Post by lotsolaffs »

There is lots of juggling going on, many don't accept places,can't afford offered places and some do have a limited number on waiting lists.
Only experience on a waiting list was for my DD who was on Brit School reserve list- had a call 2 nights before the start of term.
It might be worth just waiting until the last moment possible, or call and ask about the list a week or so before making a final decision.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Re: drama school reserve list

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Thanks @lotsolaffs, he will definitely contact them again before he needs to accept or decline the other offer. Unfortunately they don't rank the waiting llist so he won't be told he's No 3 or whatever. They only take 16 and they want to balance the cohort, so it would be a case of somebody similar in looks and/or what they personally bring declining their place. It probably makes sense to accept the other place in the meantime, but I don't like messing people around and I also don't want to start paying accommodation deposits etc if DS isn't totally committed to going - he's thinking he might decline and try again next year as he got so close to one of the dream schools. It feels like a massive gamble, but it's his life!