Colleges and their different focuses

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Colleges and their different focuses

Post by Hilltop »

Last edited by Hilltop on Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stayingcalm
BRIT Award

Re: Colleges and their different focuses

Post by Stayingcalm »

Hi Hilltop, I totally understand why youre asking this question at this stage of your journey but there isn’t a simple answer. All of the established musical theatre courses work towards triple threats who will take on leads one day. Many places that once had dance led reputations are now more rounded. Most of the courses try to give a broad curriculum that covers all the bases. The main difference is often place numbers with some colleges taking in excess of 100 and others as low as 25. The competition is obviously much more fierce for the smaller cohorts. My advice is to look at where your DD pitches herself eg West End, cruises, tours etc and then look at alumni careers. Also, the feel of the college is everything. It’s difficult to get the most from your training if your not happy. Location and proximity to London theatre land can also play a part in your choice. WishIng your DD all the success. She will no doubt end up exactly where she’s meant to be and you only recognise this retrospectively.
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

Conti is the only place where there is truly even triple threat everywhere else has a sight bias towards one skill.
Urdang/Bird - slightly more dance. Though Urdang has an actor/singer group from year 2.
Moutview - slightly more acting.
Does your DD have any advice as to what her strengths are?
My DD and her friends definitely almost all ended up where their tutors advised them their strengths lay. DD also would avidly read programs to see where different people stared and who matched her casting type.
Mountview, Arts Ed and the more acting type places like a more mature student. Conti is famous for it’s fresh faced look etc.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

This is not a fool proof plan by any means, but it does give you a feel for the success of students. Make a list of say 10 west end or touring shows that your DC would be interested in doing. Check out their bio’s on cast lists and see where they trained (usually on websites nowadays). Also keep the frame of reference of how many students these colleges turn out each year. For bigger intakes, you would expect to see higher numbers. Every school will have a few star performers but what’s the trend? I believe the most important thing is feeling the college is the right place your your personality. How fragile/strong is your DC’s mental health? And how does the college you are interested in handle that? Some people are as tough as old boots and that won’t enter their thoughts, for others it’s vitally important. Open days are there to market their wares, look past the shinny, glitzy spiel - try and get the real story of that college. Hard to get as the people have been chosen to show it in the best light, what you need is to know it’s worst side so you know what to expect.
jacsrab
BRIT Award

Post by jacsrab »

Let's be honest, most performers will not get roles on the West End stage whether 'leads' or 'ensembles'. There are just not that many roles/ jobs available if you count them up and so I believe it's really important that colleges prepare their students for many types of performing job that the industry has to offer eg puppetry, voiceover work, mo cap ( for gaming) ,cabaret, panto, screen work and stage work techniques. Ask how are they prepared for the industry before they leave college, self tapes, accounting, expectations. It has to be about student strengths for sure but important that employability is considered.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

jacsrab wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:06 pm Let's be honest, most performers will not get roles on the West End stage whether 'leads' or 'ensembles'. There are just not that many roles/ jobs available if you count them up and so I believe it's really important that colleges prepare their students for many types of performing job that the industry has to offer eg puppetry, voiceover work, mo cap ( for gaming) ,cabaret, panto, screen work and stage work techniques. Ask how are they prepared for the industry before they leave college, self tapes, accounting, expectations. It has to be about student strengths for sure but important that employability is considered.
Absolutely this. I think people don’t realise that those that they see on the west end stage or in touring companies are the very top of the pile. Super, super talented people. They all need a side hustle and accept any performing work they can get and start to build a career for themselves where they are self sustaining. I was going through it in my head last night, I think there must be 1,000 + graduates entering the industry every single year! Add those to the professionals already working and you start to get a picture of how hard it is and how talented someone has to be.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

ArtsEd is certainly triple threat (DD is in 2nd year) with approximately a third of the week dedicated to each discipline but with considerable overlap as MT is about integration not separate skills. There are amazing dancers as well as great singers in DD's year. As stated, student destinations is a good indication - are they on cruises as dancers/lead singer (cabaret or roles in a musical ?) or in a West End role, UK tour etc - and how does that match with your DD's aspirations? Browse the cast lists of new musicals (eg Newsies) and google their names to find out where they trained. A good indication might also be the audition requirements and these can change year on year eg Laine no longer require a solo jazz dance - you can opt for a second song instead - an indication of the development of a more diverse course. Also, see if you can get hold of a current timetable.
I would get your DD to keep her options open, audition widely at the top colleges and see where she is successful. Also consider what is afforable. There are SO many performing arts courses now (over 100 institutions offer degrees/diplomas) with close to 10,000 trying to enter the performing arts world each year, so just getting into a reputable college is a major achievement in itself! Good luck!
jacsrab
BRIT Award

Post by jacsrab »

Harry2003 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:25 pm
jacsrab wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:06 pm Let's be honest, most performers will not get roles on the West End stage whether 'leads' or 'ensembles'. There are just not that many roles/ jobs available if you count them up and so I believe it's really important that colleges prepare their students for many types of performing job that the industry has to offer eg puppetry, voiceover work, mo cap ( for gaming) ,cabaret, panto, screen work and stage work techniques. Ask how are they prepared for the industry before they leave college, self tapes, accounting, expectations. It has to be about student strengths for sure but important that employability is considered.
Absolutely this. I think people don’t realise that those that they see on the west end stage or in touring companies are the very top of the pile. Super, super talented people. They all need a side hustle and accept any performing work they can get and start to build a career for themselves where they are self sustaining. I was going through it in my head last night, I think there must be 1,000 + graduates entering the industry every single year! Add those to the professionals already working and you start to get a picture of how hard it is and how talented someone has to be.
For sure the performers need to be very talented, but so much is on casting requirements and their current trends.It's really important that they understand that it's not their talent that is being rejected, it's that they don't fit the 'look' that the CD is looking for. Another reason why you should look closely at the mental health provision in colleges, ideally clinician led.

It's also to note that there a quite a few top performers who didn't even go to MT colleges and who've got where they are by sheer graft.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

jacsrab wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:08 am
Harry2003 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:25 pm
For sure the performers need to be very talented, but so much is on casting requirements and their current trends.It's really important that they understand that it's not their talent that is being rejected, it's that they don't fit the 'look' that the CD is looking for. Another reason why you should look closely at the mental health provision in colleges, ideally clinician led.

It's also to note that there a quite a few top performers who didn't even go to MT colleges and who've got where they are by sheer graft.
Yes CHF arguably being the most prominent at the moment. I love the saying ‘what’s for you, won’t pass you by’. You put in the work, be the best you can be, take any opportunity you are given - I think it was David Bowie that said, unless you know you don’t want it, just say yes. And if it’s your destiny it will happen. It wasn’t my destiny, and I made peace with that many years ago and see very clearly in hindsight life worked out just as it was meant to. Same for my eldest son. He was talented, but it wasn’t his destiny and he is so much more suited to the career he is now following (happier than he ever would have been as a dancer, knowing his personality type) but he had to follow his path and come to that decision himself. As for my youngest son, only time will tell, he’s pursuing his dream but he knows if it isn’t for him there are lots of wonderful opportunities to live the life he wants.