Amount of jazz dance at 6th form college

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Amount of jazz dance at 6th form college

Post by Hilltop »

My DD has just started at a localish performing arts 6th form college that’s linked to a part time dance school, doing musical theatre. She’s doing 2 lessons of ballet, 2 lessons of tap, 1 lesson commercial, 1 lesson modern, 1 lesson commercial jazz and 1 contemporary, as well as singing and acting. I just wondered if 1 lesson of jazz will be enough considering most auditions include ballet and jazz. My DD wants to give up her current performing arts Saturday classes which includes a lesson of jazz, but we’re not sure if one lesson a week will be enough.
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Re: Amount of jazz dance at 6th form college

Post by Elle’smom »

DD was a Read and just started at Conti.
She did 2.5hours of ballet, 2.5 hours of Jazz, 1.35 hours tap, 1.25 hours contemporary, 1.25 hours commercial, plus 1.25 hours of body con in year 1. In year 2 they added 2.5 hours of audition dance and 1.25 hours of MT dance.
Her cohort are all just starting at Bird, Urdang, Conti, Trinity and PPA.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

I'm by no means a dance expert, but does it perhaps depend whether your DD would consider herself primarily a dancer or more of a triple threat performer? If she's aiming for eg Mountview, GSA etc and is a fantastic actor-singer who can also move well, I doubt a relative lack of experience in one dance discipline would hold her back. However if she's aiming for Conti, Bird etc and is first and foremost a dancer, she may want to keep the Saturday class going to cover all bases.
Someone will probably come along and say the exact opposite now!
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

I would say that: the commercial dance, the modern and commercial jazz all classify as ‘jazz’ and would all be beneficial in an audition scenario. Quantity is not really the issue, it’s more the quality of those lessons that counts.