Auditioning for 2023 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

didancer55
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for 2023 entry

Post by didancer55 »

2littledancers wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:06 pm What a lovely position to be in.
My DC has experience of both schools as an associate and 6th form audition then degree at Urdang only.
Firstly let me say that my DC is very very happy at Urdang , really is all we had hoped for and more . The changes implemented and the extra facilities gained by joining City University have only added to the college in a positive way. This said i will try and be as subjective with my points as possible.

Location - Urdang is obviously in the heart of central London with fantastic facilities including the iconic Finsbury Town Hall , east access into the West End and excellent part time job's within the industry , theatres etc. This though brings massive high rents and outgoings , although this is off set partially by the London maintenance loan, it can cause issues trying to find affordable accommodation . City's accommodation halls are available although very expensive ,many use Chester House in Muswell Hill and also private house shares that can be arranged on FB and snap chat groups these can range from 600-900 per month. Emil dale is based in the lovely market town of Hitchin , this may suit some over the hustle and bustle of London especially young drivers who have their own car. It is also only 35 minutes on the train to Kings cross or St Pancras , but that is also of extra cost. I have been informed that although accommodation is lovely in Hitchin ( either house shares or rooms to let ) it is quite limited and some people end up living outside the town of Hitchin itself. Hitchin would of course be cheaper but qualifies for the normal level of student loan.

Contact hours are huge at Urdang ,35 this includes 1-2-1 singing in 1 st year and this is within your fees. Emil dale state that the hours 18-25 are within student finance there is a private tuition top up of £2500 plus VAT for additional contact hours this is where the 121 singing come in ( these are not compulsory) I'm sure the contact hours would turn out the same if you were to take the top up.

Both schools seem to have ample studio studio space.

Performance , both schools seem to have plenty of opportunities for performances. Emil dale have access to their own theatre and put on several musicals plus they do travel to London ( Bloomsbury theatre) for their graduates showcase , this year it is on the 28th April , may be of use to take a look , tickets are available on the theatre website .
Urdang have a yearly summer show for 1st and 2nd years . 3rd year musicals , you have just missed them . This year they were Kipps , Carrie and Flashdance . I sure you will be able to catch a few clips on Tik Tok or UTube to see the standard. Their summer show is rumoured to be at The Bloomsbury Theatre 6/7-9th July , it would pay to take a look.

Alumni - Urdang grads have great destinations from cruise ships to TV to west end , and I'm sure there are those that change paths and never perform and use their degree in an alternative career. The one thing I would say is , and I believe that someone else has mentioned this further up this thread is that EDA do post success stories from people that have graduated from their 6th form and not trained with then at degree level, do not make tis clear and do not mention where they subsequently went on to train. This of course is wholly truthful , albeit a bit misleading. I'm am sure that the EDA degree grads will start to come through also , they are a relatively new school in comparison and coming off the back of 3 years of COVID.

The last point I would make is the accreditation of the degree , EDA is University of Bedfordshire , Urdang is City of London. Quite a few places between them on the league tables , does this matter with a performance based degree ? may matter to some and not others ?

i'm sure others will have other view points , these are just a few of mine , any other q's please ask.
Thank you so much 2littledancers - this has been so helpful. Lovely to hear that your Dc is loving their Urdang experience & good to see that the change to City University has been positive. I think Dd is going to accept her Urdang offer as it has always been one of her top choices & she has had the opportunity to talk with her college tutors today which has helped settle some of her concerns. Excited to be moving forward onto the next chapter.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

didancer55 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:30 pm
2littledancers wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:06 pm What a lovely position to be in.
My DC has experience of both schools as an associate and 6th form audition then degree at Urdang only.
Firstly let me say that my DC is very very happy at Urdang , really is all we had hoped for and more . The changes implemented and the extra facilities gained by joining City University have only added to the college in a positive way. This said i will try and be as subjective with my points as possible.

Location - Urdang is obviously in the heart of central London with fantastic facilities including the iconic Finsbury Town Hall , east access into the West End and excellent part time job's within the industry , theatres etc. This though brings massive high rents and outgoings , although this is off set partially by the London maintenance loan, it can cause issues trying to find affordable accommodation . City's accommodation halls are available although very expensive ,many use Chester House in Muswell Hill and also private house shares that can be arranged on FB and snap chat groups these can range from 600-900 per month. Emil dale is based in the lovely market town of Hitchin , this may suit some over the hustle and bustle of London especially young drivers who have their own car. It is also only 35 minutes on the train to Kings cross or St Pancras , but that is also of extra cost. I have been informed that although accommodation is lovely in Hitchin ( either house shares or rooms to let ) it is quite limited and some people end up living outside the town of Hitchin itself. Hitchin would of course be cheaper but qualifies for the normal level of student loan.

Contact hours are huge at Urdang ,35 this includes 1-2-1 singing in 1 st year and this is within your fees. Emil dale state that the hours 18-25 are within student finance there is a private tuition top up of £2500 plus VAT for additional contact hours this is where the 121 singing come in ( these are not compulsory) I'm sure the contact hours would turn out the same if you were to take the top up.

Both schools seem to have ample studio studio space.

Performance , both schools seem to have plenty of opportunities for performances. Emil dale have access to their own theatre and put on several musicals plus they do travel to London ( Bloomsbury theatre) for their graduates showcase , this year it is on the 28th April , may be of use to take a look , tickets are available on the theatre website .
Urdang have a yearly summer show for 1st and 2nd years . 3rd year musicals , you have just missed them . This year they were Kipps , Carrie and Flashdance . I sure you will be able to catch a few clips on Tik Tok or UTube to see the standard. Their summer show is rumoured to be at The Bloomsbury Theatre 6/7-9th July , it would pay to take a look.

Alumni - Urdang grads have great destinations from cruise ships to TV to west end , and I'm sure there are those that change paths and never perform and use their degree in an alternative career. The one thing I would say is , and I believe that someone else has mentioned this further up this thread is that EDA do post success stories from people that have graduated from their 6th form and not trained with then at degree level, do not make tis clear and do not mention where they subsequently went on to train. This of course is wholly truthful , albeit a bit misleading. I'm am sure that the EDA degree grads will start to come through also , they are a relatively new school in comparison and coming off the back of 3 years of COVID.

The last point I would make is the accreditation of the degree , EDA is University of Bedfordshire , Urdang is City of London. Quite a few places between them on the league tables , does this matter with a performance based degree ? may matter to some and not others ?

i'm sure others will have other view points , these are just a few of mine , any other q's please ask.
Thank you so much 2littledancers - this has been so helpful. Lovely to hear that your Dc is loving their Urdang experience & good to see that the change to City University has been positive. I think Dd is going to accept her Urdang offer as it has always been one of her top choices & she has had the opportunity to talk with her college tutors today which has helped settle some of her concerns. Excited to be moving forward onto the next chapter.
Congratulations to your dd on her offers, great position to be in. I have no knowledge on Urdang so can’t comment on that. I just wanted to add a few of EDA’s degree graduates destinations, as someone rightly mentioned it previously, they don’t make it clear from their posts: Heartstopper season 2 (main character), Newsies - both current 3rd years. Previous years: Disenchanted (Disney), Kinky Boots, Book of Mormon, BBC Doctors, Annie tour, Rock of Ages, The Pirates of Penzance, Cats, David Walliams Awful Auntie, Zorro The Musical and several other new musicals, Remembering the Oscars Uk Tour, Six The Musical, A Christmas to Remember tour, White Christmas tour, several cruises, pantos, Edinburgh Fringe, commercials, etc. For a relatively new degree course I think their grads are doing amazingly well.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

It’s also worth looking at intake numbers-as I understand it EDA have around 40 in a year and Urdang have around 120. DS was offered degree at EDA and would have been happy to go, I don’t have any personal experience but I have to say from what I’ve experienced so far and heard of them they have a distinctly personal and kind touch. We were looking for somewhere that had a strong pastoral side as well as excellent training and I think EDA definitely ticks that box.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Congratulation on your DD's offers. What about creating a list with pros and cons. Someone further up put how many students to a year in Urdang how many does Emil take? Does a larger/smaller year appeal more? Was it Urdang who used to do the different pathways after yr1, do they still, does your DD like that idea? Once you see in writing what your DD considers a positive and a negative it might be better to work out which to take.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:00 pm
Ditzi wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:08 pm
biscuitsneeded wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:37 pm @ditzi How did you daughter get on at GSA? Hope things are coming together for her!
Hi, her recall is on Wednesday. Has your ds made a decision?
Break a leg to her - hope she enjoys it and it goes really well. My son will accept GSA unless he magically gets a place at Central from the reserve list. He really likes GSA too and would be very happy to go there, but just wants to wait a bit longer and see what happens.
Thanks biscuitneeded, she really enjoyed her audition today, she came out beaming with happiness. She loved the workshop, the facilities, the campus, the course leader and the way she was directed with her monologue, different to how she has been used to. She feels it went well, which is a big statement for her - she usually says it could have gone better. The only issue is that they haven’t kept anyone behind for an interview, the course leader said she doesn’t want to rush into making decisions and that she feels she needs to consult with other senior members. She isn’t sure what to make of it, we both know that if you aren’t offered an interview you didn’t get in, but finds it unusual that nobody was offered one, although she thinks the standard was very high. Perhaps being quiet late in the year, most places have been offered already and none of those auditioning today were what they were looking for. They’ve been told they’ll let them know within 2 weeks. If she doesn’t get in, which is what she’s expecting , it has been an amazing experience, and she’ll definitely audition for GSA again next year, including foundation. She said this has been the most stress free and enjoyable audition she’s ever had, now we understand why everyone loves GSA. Good luck to your ds, wherever he ends up going I’m sure he’ll have a great time 😊
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Ditzi wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:48 pm
Break a leg to her - hope she enjoys it and it goes really well. My son will accept GSA unless he magically gets a place at Central from the reserve list. He really likes GSA too and would be very happy to go there, but just wants to wait a bit longer and see what happens.
Thanks biscuitneeded, she really enjoyed her audition today, she came out beaming with happiness. She loved the workshop, the facilities, the campus, the course leader and the way she was directed with her monologue, different to how she has been used to. She feels it went well, which is a big statement for her - she usually says it could have gone better. The only issue is that they haven’t kept anyone behind for an interview, the course leader said she doesn’t want to rush into making decisions and that she feels she needs to consult with other senior members. She isn’t sure what to make of it, we both know that if you aren’t offered an interview you didn’t get in, but finds it unusual that nobody was offered one, although she thinks the standard was very high. Perhaps being quiet late in the year, most places have been offered already and none of those auditioning today were what they were looking for. They’ve been told they’ll let them know within 2 weeks. If she doesn’t get in, which she’s not really expecting to, it has been an amazing experience, and she’ll definitely audition for GSA again next year, including foundation. She said this has been the most stress free and enjoyable audition she’s ever had, now we understand why everyone loves GSA. Good luck to your ds, wherever he ends up going I’m sure he’ll have a great time 😊
Sounds like your DD had a great audition. Fingers crossed fur her. Not getting an interview is not a definite no - some on my DS course didn’t get an interview.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Harry2003 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:15 pm

Thanks biscuitneeded, she really enjoyed her audition today, she came out beaming with happiness. She loved the workshop, the facilities, the campus, the course leader and the way she was directed with her monologue, different to how she has been used to. She feels it went well, which is a big statement for her - she usually says it could have gone better. The only issue is that they haven’t kept anyone behind for an interview, the course leader said she doesn’t want to rush into making decisions and that she feels she needs to consult with other senior members. She isn’t sure what to make of it, we both know that if you aren’t offered an interview you didn’t get in, but finds it unusual that nobody was offered one, although she thinks the standard was very high. Perhaps being quiet late in the year, most places have been offered already and none of those auditioning today were what they were looking for. They’ve been told they’ll let them know within 2 weeks. If she doesn’t get in, which she’s not really expecting to, it has been an amazing experience, and she’ll definitely audition for GSA again next year, including foundation. She said this has been the most stress free and enjoyable audition she’s ever had, now we understand why everyone loves GSA. Good luck to your ds, wherever he ends up going I’m sure he’ll have a great time 😊
Sounds like your DD had a great audition. Fingers crossed fur her. Not getting an interview is not a definite no - some on my DS course didn’t get an interview.
Thanks Harry2003, that’s good to hear, I didn’t know that! Everyone we know that wasn’t kept for the interview didn’t get it. I know they say (not GSA necessarily, but other schools as well) that not getting an interview doesn’t mean you won’t get a place, but I was always skeptical about it. Oh, it’s going to be a long two weeks! 🤞
didancer55
Nominee

Post by didancer55 »

Thank you Ditzi, Processoplease & lawn for your comments re Emil Dale & Urdang. Appreciate your help x
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

Thanks biscuitneeded, she really enjoyed her audition today, she came out beaming with happiness. She loved the workshop, the facilities, the campus, the course leader and the way she was directed with her monologue, different to how she has been used to. She feels it went well, which is a big statement for her - she usually says it could have gone better. The only issue is that they haven’t kept anyone behind for an interview, the course leader said she doesn’t want to rush into making decisions and that she feels she needs to consult with other senior members. She isn’t sure what to make of it, we both know that if you aren’t offered an interview you didn’t get in, but finds it unusual that nobody was offered one, although she thinks the standard was very high. Perhaps being quiet late in the year, most places have been offered already and none of those auditioning today were what they were looking for. They’ve been told they’ll let them know within 2 weeks. If she doesn’t get in, which is what she’s expecting , it has been an amazing experience, and she’ll definitely audition for GSA again next year, including foundation. She said this has been the most stress free and enjoyable audition she’s ever had, now we understand why everyone loves GSA. Good luck to your ds, wherever he ends up going I’m sure he’ll have a great time 😊
Hi Ditzi, fingers crossed for your DD, but if she doesn't get the result she hopes for I don't think its too late to apply for the foundation this year at GSA. It maybe worth taking a look at if your DD is interested. Wasn't sure if that was something you had thought about :) This is what we did when DD was auditioning, she got rejected by GSA, applied separately for the foundation and got in :) Good luck to your DD!
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

Hi Ditzi, fingers crossed for your DD, but if she doesn't get the result she hopes for I don't think its too late to apply for the foundation this year at GSA. It maybe worth taking a look at if your DD is interested. Wasn't sure if that was something you had thought about :) This is what we did when DD was auditioning, she got rejected by GSA, applied separately for the foundation and got in :) Good luck to your DD!
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

MTDreams wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:46 pm

Thank you MTDreams, I have suggested this to her, she’s thinking about it. She’s not sure if she wants to do a foundation this year, she thinks she would benefit (on a personal level) from taking a year out instead. Knowing how difficult it is to get in first time, this was her plan all along. If she doesn’t get in this year, next year she’ll definitely consider foundations as well. She also has more of an idea which schools she would like to go to, this year has definitely been a learning process for her.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Hi Ditzi. I'm really glad your DD enjoyed her audition. DS also really enjoyed his day at GSA. I wonder if they are having to make some very difficult decisions? A friend of DS' went to her recall about 4 weeks ago and was told then that they only had 4 definite places left for Acting. Possibly they need to just hang on and wait and see who accepts and declines for a bit before they can offer any more places. His friend did get an interview and subsequently an offer, but she might have been one of the very last, at this stage. I will keep fingers firmly crossed for your DD. I wouldn't despair though - not everyone who's been offered a place will accept, so I would anticipate further movement over the next few weeks. And just as not everyone who gets a place has an interview, not everyone who has an interview gets a place (a boy who interviewed on same day as DS got a reserve list offer) - so I don't think it's a hard and fast rule. I hope your DD hears quickly, anyway - fingers crossed for good news.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:08 pm

Hi Ditzi. I'm really glad your DD enjoyed her audition. DS also really enjoyed his day at GSA. I wonder if they are having to make some very difficult decisions? A friend of DS' went to her recall about 4 weeks ago and was told then that they only had 4 definite places left for Acting. Possibly they need to just hang on and wait and see who accepts and declines for a bit before they can offer any more places. His friend did get an interview and subsequently an offer, but she might have been one of the very last, at this stage. I will keep fingers firmly crossed for your DD. I wouldn't despair though - not everyone who's been offered a place will accept, so I would anticipate further movement over the next few weeks. And just as not everyone who gets a place has an interview, not everyone who has an interview gets a place (a boy who interviewed on same day as DS got a reserve list offer) - so I don't think it's a hard and fast rule. I hope your DD hears quickly, anyway - fingers crossed for good news.
Hi biscuitneeded,

I thought it might be something to do with being late and not many places left, but so few, it doesn’t give me much hope. I wonder if they have any more recalls lined up or was this the last one. If they do, they could be waiting until they are all done. Last week a couple of dd’s friends were still waiting to hear back from their self tapes which they submitted around the same time as dd, I’m not sure if they’ve heard back yet. I’m guessing the deadline to accept or decline can’t be too far, so they’ll have more of an idea. The wait is killing me!
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

Started a new thread, but more traffic here.

Is anybody going to London Studio Centre and NOT staying in Chester House (which is full with very long waiting list already).
What other halls would you recommend?
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

Ditzi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:09 am
MTDreams wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:46 pm

Thank you MTDreams, I have suggested this to her, she’s thinking about it. She’s not sure if she wants to do a foundation this year, she thinks she would benefit (on a personal level) from taking a year out instead. Knowing how difficult it is to get in first time, this was her plan all along. If she doesn’t get in this year, next year she’ll definitely consider foundations as well. She also has more of an idea which schools she would like to go to, this year has definitely been a learning process for her.
Good luck to your DD whatever happens and whatever she decides to do. Many people audition 2 or more years before they get in somewhere, so taking a year out is so normal. I was at GSA on Saturday as my youngest takes acting classes at their Saturday school and there were both acting and MT recalls happening so they are still going on. Fingers crossed you hear soon.