Auditioning for 2023 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

K8t
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2023 entry

Post by K8t »

Currently killing time while dd is at Artsed - I’m sure you all know that feeling!

Does anyone know if they have two parts and are either asked to stay on for the afternoon, or is it all day? I forgot to ask her! 🙄

We’ll done to everyone with offers, we’re still waiting on two after this, but on the home straight!

I’m exhausted and broke!
Helenb76
BRIT Award

Post by Helenb76 »

K8t wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:30 am Currently killing time while dd is at Artsed - I’m sure you all know that feeling!

Does anyone know if they have two parts and are either asked to stay on for the afternoon, or is it all day? I forgot to ask her! 🙄

We’ll done to everyone with offers, we’re still waiting on two after this, but on the home straight!

I’m exhausted and broke!
If it’s the same as last year it’s auditions for all in the morning and then recalls are in the afternoon. After speaking to some mums recently some days have had no recalls and everyone rejected at lunchtime. There’s a friendly cafe on the corner near ArtsEd that I hung out in for a long time last year- I think they are really used to waiting parents!
Fingers crossed for your dd, I hope it goes well for her.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

Helenb76 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:55 am
K8t wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:30 am Currently killing time while dd is at Artsed - I’m sure you all know that feeling!

I’m exhausted and broke!
If it’s the same as last year it’s auditions for all in the morning and then recalls are in the afternoon. After speaking to some mums recently some days have had no recalls and everyone rejected at lunchtime. There’s a friendly cafe on the corner near ArtsEd that I hung out in for a long time last year- I think they are really used to waiting parents!
Fingers crossed for your dd, I hope it goes well for her.
Thank you.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Can someone shed some light on me please. Looking on the GSA website for info about the foundation course in acting, it says that student loans are available. Is this something new, as far as I was aware the foundation was not covered by student finance. There’s a link attached but it but it gives you info about the course starting in September 2024. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place? I’m trying to get some info in case dd ends up with a foundation offer after her recall or she falls in love with the school like everyone else did and decides to apply for foundation after. Thank you.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

Ditzi wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:30 pm Can someone shed some light on me please. Looking on the GSA website for info about the foundation course in acting, it says that student loans are available. Is this something new, as far as I was aware the foundation was not covered by student finance. There’s a link attached but it but it gives you info about the course starting in September 2024. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place? I’m trying to get some info in case dd ends up with a foundation offer after her recall or she falls in love with the school like everyone else did and decides to apply for foundation after. Thank you.
I was under the impression that you could apply for student finance for this, although no fees were listed as yet, so have no idea how much it is!

Dd got rejected, but they suggested she apply for foundation. I was under the impression they automatically considered them, but it would seem not. So she’s redoing her tapes.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

K8t wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:44 pm
Ditzi wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:30 pm Can someone shed some light on me please. Looking on the GSA website for info about the foundation course in acting, it says that student loans are available. Is this something new, as far as I was aware the foundation was not covered by student finance. There’s a link attached but it but it gives you info about the course starting in September 2024. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place? I’m trying to get some info in case dd ends up with a foundation offer after her recall or she falls in love with the school like everyone else did and decides to apply for foundation after. Thank you.
I was under the impression that you could apply for student finance for this, although no fees were listed as yet, so have no idea how much it is!

Dd got rejected, but they suggested she apply for foundation. I was under the impression they automatically considered them, but it would seem not. So she’s redoing her tapes.
Thanks K8t, I was looking to see how much the foundation costs and I was pleasantly surprised to see you can apply for finance, as I remember reading on older threads people discussing the financial aspect of this course. DD’s current plan is to take a gap year if she doesn’t get any BA offers, but when it was suggested by Rose Bruford (her top choice) that she has an interview for foundation following her recall for BA, she seemed to like the idea, however, that isn’t funded. The same happened with Rada and Lamda - she didn’t apply to Lamda foundation but is waiting to hear from Rada, although we couldn’t afford the fees anyway, I think it cost over £13 000. So with that in mind, I was curious to see how much the GSA foundation costs in case this happened again. Everyone on here (and outside) speaks highly of GSA so I’m expecting her to like it, I wanted to see if the foundation was at least affordable, in case she had a change of heart and decided to apply rather than take a gap year. I like to be prepared for all eventualities, as I know things can change last minute.

She has 2 more first rounds to do and her GSA recall, and then she’ll have more of an idea of which direction she’ll be going in, although she’s convinced herself that a BA isn’t going to happen for her this year.

Good luck to your dd with the rest of her auditions, I personally can’t wait for it to be over. Whichever way it turns out, it will be good to know so we can start making plans.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Ditzi wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:05 am

Thanks K8t, I was looking to see how much the foundation costs and I was pleasantly surprised to see you can apply for finance, as I remember reading on older threads people discussing the financial aspect of this course. DD’s current plan is to take a gap year if she doesn’t get any BA offers, but when it was suggested by Rose Bruford (her top choice) that she has an interview for foundation following her recall for BA, she seemed to like the idea, however, that isn’t funded. The same happened with Rada and Lamda - she didn’t apply to Lamda foundation but is waiting to hear from Rada, although we couldn’t afford the fees anyway, I think it cost over £13 000. So with that in mind, I was curious to see how much the GSA foundation costs in case this happened again. Everyone on here (and outside) speaks highly of GSA so I’m expecting her to like it, I wanted to see if the foundation was at least affordable, in case she had a change of heart and decided to apply rather than take a gap year. I like to be prepared for all eventualities, as I know things can change last minute.

She has 2 more first rounds to do and her GSA recall, and then she’ll have more of an idea of which direction she’ll be going in, although she’s convinced herself that a BA isn’t going to happen for her this year.

Good luck to your dd with the rest of her auditions, I personally can’t wait for it to be over. Whichever way it turns out, it will be good to know so we can start making plans.
Good luck with GSA. My DS on MT degree 1st year. He’s home for Easter and is just loving GSA. He can’t get over how lovely everyone is and how great the training is. They seem a close knit group and friendly across all years and courses.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Harry2003 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Ditzi wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:05 am

Good luck with GSA. My DS on MT degree 1st year. He’s home for Easter and is just loving GSA. He can’t get over how lovely everyone is and how great the training is. They seem a close knit group and friendly across all years and courses.
Thanks Harry2003,

That’s very reassuring to hear, it sounds like a really lovely school, I’m so glad dd decided to apply for it, she nearly didn’t as she had too many schools on her list originally and was struggling to narrow it down. She just paid her recall fee and is waiting to be sent a date. I’m not sure if they will send one soon or she will have to wait until after the Easter holidays now (to be sent a date, not the audition itself). We are planning to stay in a hotel the night before, is there anywhere within walking distance that you could recommend?
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

The holiday inn is very close - certainly walking distance. It’s right between Stag Hill campus and Manor Park.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Perfect, thanks 😊
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

It might be awaiting creditation - ArtsEd had their MT foundation course done in the year my DD was applying but they weren't sure it was going to happen on time for September.
Funding at ArtsEd was for around £6,500 via SFE and rest had to be privately funded.
My DD is in her final year at GSa, has absolutely loved it and as a parent wondering now about how it will be when she finishes, she will really miss it.
If anyone thinks that applying and auditions are stressful - you have no idea how tough it is in 3rd year!
Sahara
BRIT Award

Post by Sahara »

Here is a link to info on the 2023 Foundation https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/ ... eatre/2023
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

That’s great, thank you Sahara and lotsolaffs 😃
Sahara
BRIT Award

Post by Sahara »

Ditzi wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:41 am That’s great, thank you Sahara and lotsolaffs 😃
Sorry, just realised I posted the MT course not Acting!
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/ ... cting/2023
didancer55
Nominee

Post by didancer55 »

Hi. Anyone know number of places on offer for Urdang degree 2023 intake?