Auditioning for 2023 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Helenb76
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2023 entry

Post by Helenb76 »

Congratulations to those with some offers in! It must be a relief to know that they are guaranteed somewhere at this stage.
I can’t really comment on which might be the best choice @Dancemum007 as I only have experience of Bird where dd is doing her foundation year. She has applied for a variety of places this year for degree (not had any auditions yet), but would most like to go back to Bird if given the chance (although ArtsEd would be a close second I think). She has had great teaching, some good support and I like that physio and emotional well-being are all onsite and included in the fees. Location wise it’s great, she pops into central London fairly often but most weeks for a night out they all stay fairly local. It’s a nice friendly environment and despite feeling a bit nervous about moving so far from home she settled in really quickly. Performers does seem to be a bit out on a limb which might be ok if you drive but not so convenient as bird or lsc. Still it’s a nice dilemma to have.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Proseccoplease wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:41 pm Huge sigh of relief here as DS has just got an offer from Royal Welsh. He already has an offer elsewhere but wasn't really where his heart was. Still in shock and will take a while to sink in as it's been a looooong 14 months of applying/auditioning! He still has RAM and Mountivew recalls but so nice to be able to enjoy the rest of the process! Hope everyone is still hanging in there, it's certainly a marathon not a sprint!
Proseccoplease that’s great news, congratulations to your ds and good luck with the rest of his auditions! We are just about to start our marathon, as dd submitted her first round tapes and has face to face auditions booked (all first round), I’m dreading it.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Thanks Ditzi! It’s been a tough slog and I have so much admiration for these kids coping with all the no’s. Has been terrifying as he turned down Foundations last year but relieved he appeared to make the right decision. Good luck to your DD!
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

Oh dear, DD heading into Bird audition today, with a head cold. She feels ok, but lots of sniffles and sneezing. Singing will be a challenge.
Ah well, she can only try her best.
pinky3
GRAMMY Award

Post by pinky3 »

Good luck to your dd! Bird seemed to be very much into ‘performance’ so my advice would be to go for it and try to put as much expression into everything as she can. X
Helenb76
BRIT Award

Post by Helenb76 »

StartingLate wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:15 am Oh dear, DD heading into Bird audition today, with a head cold. She feels ok, but lots of sniffles and sneezing. Singing will be a challenge.
Similar happened to my dd last year for her Bird audition. We stayed over the night before, she woke up full of cold aching all over and shivering. Not ideal! Covid negative (you had to test routinely for auditions last year) but luckily for her they agreed to rearrange. 2 weeks later audition day came around again and this time there was a massive thunderstorm overnight so not much sleep, she hurt her back and then during one of the dances ripped a huge skin flap on the bottom of her toe but daren’t tell anyone! She came out laughing though and figured she definitely wasn’t getting in. We had to do a patch up of her foot at Charing Cross station after raiding the boots there. 2 days later an offer for foundation came through! Surprised isn’t the word! So I think if she just gives it her all it may well work out.
Last edited by Helenb76 on Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Proseccoplease wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:38 pm Thanks Ditzi! It’s been a tough slog and I have so much admiration for these kids coping with all the no’s. Has been terrifying as he turned down Foundations last year but relieved he appeared to make the right decision. Good luck to your DD!
Thank you, she is planning to take a gap year over foundation (if she gets any offers). Any tips?
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

StartingLate wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:15 am Oh dear, DD heading into Bird audition today, with a head cold. She feels ok, but lots of sniffles and sneezing. Singing will be a challenge.
That’s unfortunate, fingers crossed she gets on ok 🤞
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

Thanks for the good wishes for DD.

She isn’t an experienced singer so she said her singing was horrendous, she had never sang with a cold previously.
But she said it worked as an advantage for her drama 😊

She took it all in her stride. I thought she would be very disappointed as Bird is top of her list.
But she rightly said it was out of her control and she enjoyed the rest of her day. She was quite happy with drama and dance.

In hindsight she should have asked to reschedule, I did suggest it but she wanted to push through.
Helenb76
BRIT Award

Post by Helenb76 »

StartingLate wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:38 pm Thanks for the good wishes for DD.

She isn’t an experienced singer so she said her singing was horrendous, she had never sang with a cold previously.

She took it all in her stride. I thought she would be very disappointed as Bird is top of her list.
But she rightly said it was out of her control and she enjoyed the rest of her day. She was quite happy with drama and dance.

In hindsight she should have asked to reschedule, I did suggest it but she wanted to push through.
Good for her for just cracking on with it, I’m sure some of what they are looking for is resilience and perseverance and some talent they can work with. Actually I think dd got her email the following day as she rang me from college absolutely stunned so hopefully she will hear back soon.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

StartingLate wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:38 pm Thanks for the good wishes for DD.

Best of luck. My dd was poorly for her Trinity Laban last week, but wanted to still go, I think the fact it cost £100 on the train and a night in a hotel (again) swayed it!

Not heard anything yet, but she said she didn’t feel it went great.

It’s a tough time, I’m shattered and don’t then have to go and sing, dance and act for my supper!
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

Wait listed for Bird. Better than a No, but she is not holding out much hope for it. If I remember correctly Bird wait list is very long and moves very slowly.
Helenb76
BRIT Award

Post by Helenb76 »

StartingLate wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:38 pm Wait listed for Bird. Better than a No, but she is not holding out much hope for it. If I remember correctly Bird wait list is very long and moves very slowly.
As I recall from what the principle said each student is scored across each area. Above a certain score (or I guess if they are just really really impressed) they will be offered a place on the day- this is not very common. The rest are either rejected, placed on the list or offered a foundation place. Once all the anuditions are finished they will go through the list and start offering so could be about June time but some are offered later presumably when people reject their offers. She has done really well! I hope this gives her some confidence for any auditions she has got coming up that she hopefully will be back to full health for.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

StartingLate wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:38 pm Wait listed for Bird. Better than a No, but she is not holding out much hope for it. If I remember correctly Bird wait list is very long and moves very slowly.
That sounds positive, until you get rejected there’s still hope! Well done to your dd.

My dd just got her second rejection email, this time from Guildhall. It was exactly what she expected, still disappointing. I reminded her it took Daniel Craig 3 attempts to get into Guildhall haha! A recall would definitely be a confidence booster, hoping she’ll do better in her face to face/zoom first rounds, although she’s not keen on zoom.
NOMI73
Nominee

Post by NOMI73 »

My daughters both offered reserve list for Bird too. More uncertainty, think we'll treat it as a no really, and forget about it until late June.