Auditioning for 2023 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Auditioning for 2023 entry

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Feels like tempting fate, but I'm starting a thread. DS is going into Year 13 and will be auditioning for post-18 acting courses, but all are welcome on the thread, whether MT or acting. In all honesty we are very prepared for the fact that for acting the schools like them to be older, and he may get nothing. But still useful to have a place to log developments and share experiences, questions, advice etc. Good luck to all the DC attempting to navigate the process this year!
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Re: Auditioning for 2023 entry

Post by Ditzi »

Hi biscuitneeded, I’m glad you’ve started this thread. Dd is in the exactly same position as your ds, she’s in the process of making her shortlist of places she’d like to audition for - straight acting as well. Doing the NYT intake course this summer has confirmed this is definitely the path she wants to follow. Like you, we are both prepared for not getting in this year, but straight acting is where her true passion lies and she is going to try and take it as it comes and audition as many times as it takes. Good luck everyone auditioning this year, MT or straight acting, it’s equally exciting and nerve racking!
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Hi Ditzi! I wonder if my DS knows your DD already? Did you go to the sharing of work on the final day of NYT? I really enjoyed that!
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Yes I did, it was great wasn’t it! Dd was in group 4, she absolutely loved the whole experience, the people she met, the supportive environment and the independence. She had the time of her life and feels like she’s learnt a lot not just about acting, but about herself.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

DS too. He was in Group 5 and he absolutely loved it all.
Alro
Nominee

Post by Alro »

Joining in here Dd is starting the process this year but it is MT she has her heart set on. Trying to steady myself for the turbulent year ahead jugging school and auditions. She is pretty focused and has song choices and scene choices narrowed down to a short list and then get the application forms in. I regularly prepare students for this process (I am a vocal coach) but it is so different being a parent. Lovely to meet you Ditzi and hello again Biscuits!
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

So this is pretty painful for me to write! DS didn’t get a degree offer in the end-was offered Foundation at Arts and Mountview and after much much angst and a rollercoaster of emotions has decided to come back home and apply again-this time to a wider range of places and earlier.I really hope that isn’t a mistake but for a range of reasons he decided against the Foundations. It’s been an agonising few months and I feel for anyone who has been in the same boat! I’m sure it will be an agonising year too and I wish everyone the best of luck and keep a bottle of wine in the fridge!!! So here we go again 🤪
Gymmom
Nominee

Post by Gymmom »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:16 am Feels like tempting fate, but I'm starting a thread. DS is going into Year 13 and will be auditioning for post-18 acting courses, but all are welcome on the thread, whether MT or acting. In all honesty we are very prepared for the fact that for acting the schools like them to be older, and he may get nothing. But still useful to have a place to log developments and share experiences, questions, advice etc. Good luck to all the DC attempting to navigate the process this year!
Last edited by Gymmom on Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

Proseccoplease wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:20 pm So this is pretty painful for me to write! DS didn’t get a degree offer in the end-was offered Foundation at Arts and Mountview and after much much angst and a rollercoaster of emotions has decided to come back home and apply again-this time to a wider range of places and earlier.I really hope that isn’t a mistake but for a range of reasons he decided against the Foundations. It’s been an agonising few months and I feel for anyone who has been in the same boat! I’m sure it will be an agonising year too and I wish everyone the best of luck and keep a bottle of wine in the fridge!!! So here we go again 🤪
That must have been a very tough decision for your DS. Getting 2 foundation offers like that though means he is obviously talented and Arts and Mountview saw potential they liked. Sometimes its just one small thing they think makes them not quite ready. So, he must not feel disheartened, he did well. Wishing him all the best for this next year! Ive seen other DC's who have not achieved what they wanted in first year of auditioning but absolutely smash it the next year :) Good Luck x
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Thanks MTDreams, good to hear success stories! He isn’t confident with dance so just got to work on a bit of self belief!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Hi, joining you all on the 3rd and possibly final time and it's nice to see some other straight acting parents too. The straight acting courses are difficult to get into at 18 but not impossible. It's not just they prefer the life experience and more mature thinking but there's also less spaces. I'm glad Mountview has been brought up though, it's the only school I've come across that states it doesn't discriminate on age. If you can afford the top up fees for degree or if a Dada works for you if child was awarded then go for it. We know someone who also got in at 18 for straight acting at Mountview. For us the first year DD auditioned I said that she could apply to those with top up degree fees but in the event she did a private foundation then it wouldn't be possible in subsequent years - the money was only available once. The only other 18yo we know who got in straight from sixth form is someone who has had a lot of professional work from a young age, mostly screen but a small amount of stage. He got 2 BA Acting offers plus reserve list from 3 good schools.

The first year DD was offered foundation year at Read College, a degree offer from Central but not the course she wanted, a foundation offer from a lesser known drama school later changed to degree and she'd accepted when at the last minute an offer came from a more well known school for a foundation which she decided to take instead. We lost our £500 deposit from the other school. DD enjoyed her foundation course, but it doesn't run the whole academic year (it's cheaper as a consequence) so isn't there to guide them through anything but the first auditions. Mine is also in NYT though it was 2020 and online when she was accepted and was unfortunately ill last year when they ran an in-person course

For this year DD got through to 2nd round Central before rejection and was asked again to apply for other courses they run. This year she declined as she didn't want to be put in a dilemma as she'd already received 2 funded foundation offers. It's not ideal to be doing a 2nd foundation but several of her previous course haven't got an outcome so she's pleased to have been offered this.

For straight acting there are 4 funded foundation courses. They are Italia Conti, East 15, Fourth Monkey and Arts Ed. All funded via student loans, it uses up the 'gift year' entitlement to student funding. Arts Ed isn't fully financed, the others are. Arts Ed requires a tuition fee top up of around £3K.

DD is now 19.5 so would be 20 at the start of the 2023 academic year - we'll see if this makes any difference . Her last school gave the students the advice that if they hadn't got in by their 4th attempt look to do something else. DD has said this 3rd attempt is her final one, so we'll see.

She has spent the time since she got back from her foundation course , working as an actor in the Entertainment sector. Part-time, seasonal work that she commutes to, but she has learnt so much more in the role that she's never been told or experienced in the classroom. Her drama school foundation course was sufficient to get her in. Her colleagues have all trained/worked in PA, some when younger but are now students studying something else, others are on PA Uni courses, have been to drama school themselves or have had main roles in UK tours but work there inbetween jobs. If any of your kids find themselves on a gap year, I would recommend applying for something like this, entertainment or leisure connected jobs even if it's just for a few weeks experience such as Halloween or Christmas.
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

](*,)
Proseccoplease wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:30 pm Thanks MTDreams, good to hear success stories! He isn’t confident with dance so just got to work on a bit of self belief!
It is often the technical dance. Find a good dance teacher who runs an adult ballet class to get him a good basic foundation in ballet can really help. Doing the same with technical jazz.
The fact that he got offered foundation really suggests they are potential, but think he is not quite ready.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Thanks Elle’s mum-he actually has a very good grounding in dance and has been doing it for years but for some reason just doubts himself constantly with it! He had a fantastic summer with NYMT and I think it’s bolstered his confidence again ready for the audition onslaught!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

It’s such a confidence booster (well mostly anyway). Which show did he do?
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

islandofsodor Without totally outing him he had a very lovely part in a Kiss for Cinderella 😊