Auditioning for 2023 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Helenb76
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2023 entry

Post by Helenb76 »

[/quote]It's not that far from Rose Bruford is it? My daughter is going there and we've found same thing. Mine tried applying for private housing but she also wasn't helped that she got a late offer so couldn't look earlier and the student houses seem a bit reluctant to take on an unknown first year (understandable). We've just decided to suck it up and take the offer of halls instead. Though I think they're expensive (compared to what we've paid past 2 years and including in Edinburgh which is not the cheapest of places to live!) that is balanced by it only being for 40 weeks, rather than a full year some of which DD might not use.

I'm guessing you've already looked at this? https://www.torontostudentlets.co.uk/ Don't forget if they're walking distance you don't have to account for any commuting costs.
[/quote]

Yes thanks, Toronto house is already full as are the other student alternatives. Bird use halls at Avery hill which belong to the university of Greenwich but unfortunately they are all full too- much earlier than last year.
Nic16977
Nominee

Post by Nic16977 »

Are Avery Hill definitely full? My dd went in to halls (albeit 4 years ago) and you couldn’t even apply for halls until August
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Helenb76 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:19 pm
It's not that far from Rose Bruford is it? My daughter is going there and we've found same thing. Mine tried applying for private housing but she also wasn't helped that she got a late offer so couldn't look earlier and the student houses seem a bit reluctant to take on an unknown first year (understandable). We've just decided to suck it up and take the offer of halls instead. Though I think they're expensive (compared to what we've paid past 2 years and including in Edinburgh which is not the cheapest of places to live!) that is balanced by it only being for 40 weeks, rather than a full year some of which DD might not use.

I'm guessing you've already looked at this? https://www.torontostudentlets.co.uk/ Don't forget if they're walking distance you don't have to account for any commuting costs.
[/quote]

Yes thanks, Toronto house is already full as are the other student alternatives. Bird use halls at Avery hill which belong to the university of Greenwich but unfortunately they are all full too- much earlier than last year.
[/quote]

Have you asked the college for the accredited landlords / landladies list - there might still be some spaces on that if you're struggling
Helenb76
BRIT Award

Post by Helenb76 »

Nic16977 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:48 pm Are Avery Hill definitely full? My dd went in to halls (albeit 4 years ago) and you couldn’t even apply for halls until August
Yep definitely full. Dd stayed there last year when on foundation and they didn’t open til July but they released them in April this year.
No accredited landlords either so just contacting the local estate agents. I’m sure we will get something, it just takes a bit of time.
Alro
Nominee

Post by Alro »

I’m late to this , congrats to all with offers. My DD is also off to Bird in September and staying in Avery hill.
Helenb76 is your daughter on the Snapchat group for incoming first years- she might have some luck there. We know of at least one person who got a late offer for another college who has now given up her place in Bird and she passed her accommodation to someone else she found through the Snapchat group.
Helenb76
BRIT Award

Post by Helenb76 »

Alro wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:55 pm I’m late to this , congrats to all with offers. My DD is also off to Bird in September and staying in Avery hill.
Helenb76 is your daughter on the Snapchat group for incoming first years- she might have some luck there. We know of at least one person who got a late offer for another college who has now given up her place in Bird and she passed her accommodation to someone else she found through the Snapchat group.
Oh, I’m not sure about that- I know she is on the Facebook group but I’ll ask her about Snapchat group. My daughter really enjoyed her time at Avery last year, her room was tiny but she made it her own and felt really settled there from the very first day, I hope your daughter has the same experience!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Helenb76 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:18 am
Alro wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:55 pm I’m late to this , congrats to all with offers. My DD is also off to Bird in September and staying in Avery hill.
Oh, I’m not sure about that- I know she is on the Facebook group but I’ll ask her about Snapchat group. My daughter really enjoyed her time at Avery last year, her room was tiny but she made it her own and felt really settled there from the very first day, I hope your daughter has the same experience!
I'd just say be very careful that anywhere any of them find is legit. 2 years ago my daughter got a last minute offer for foundation at RB in Edinburgh and almost signed herself up to to a non -existent flat and would have lost us £1K in the process. Fortunately it was spotted as a scam by my DH in the nick of time. Is it for properties already approved by the college as that should be fine but please double check before parting with any cash.
Helenb76
BRIT Award

Post by Helenb76 »

[/quote]I'd just say be very careful that anywhere any of them find is legit. 2 years ago my daughter got a last minute offer for foundation at RB in Edinburgh and almost signed herself up to to a non -existent flat and would have lost us £1K in the process. Fortunately it was spotted as a scam by my DH in the nick of time. Is it for properties already approved by the college as that should be fine but please double check before parting with any cash.
[/quote]

Oh goodness, that’s dreadful, thank goodness your husband realised before money had changed hands.
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

lawn wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:19 am
2good2hurry wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:55 am
Proseccoplease wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:17 am
Sorry to be barer of bad news but yes £700-800 around Chiswick is probably optimistic. DS lived in a shared 4 bed flat in Chiswick Village-it was £800 pcm 2021-2022 but when they left the landlady put it up to £1000 and that seems to be about the going rate now. Have you looked at Acton? It is much cheaper and has some nice areas. DS lived there with family for a year and cycled to Arts. It has definitely got harder and his friends really struggled to get accommodation, affordable or not. Very relieved DS has halls this September!
Sorry again for sounding negative! Connections on social media with students about to leave their accommodation is definitely the way to go.
Thanks for your honesty, I really appreciate it. I think I've come to accept that we will need to find closer to £1000 pcm. I'm hoping that even a tiny bursary may help, but we will see and somehow find a way. DD knows she has to work, but we'd hoped that it wouldn't be too much. She really wants to house share, but I think a few are opting for halls for the stability too.

I will look at Acton, being from the midlands means we have no idea of what is an ok area or not, so this helps. I hadn't even thought of a bike though - great idea :)

Thanks again!
Is she on degree or DADA and if DADA does she get any finance at all for living costs? Up till now we've always paid full rent for our kids when doing degrees and left them their student loan to live on. Nearly 10K for DD's halls is just too expensive for us to do this way. We're taking all her student loan and topping it to pay rent then will send her money to live on. She's got some seasonal work lined up that should give her money to live on and hopefully will find a job down there too.
No DADA sadly, so we will be topping up the fees ourselves. She’s got student finance but not enough to pay the rent since the change in student finance and expectation of parental contribution a few years ago. It’s so tough when there are fees to pay as well. She will have to work too. It’s a good idea about taking the student finance and topping up to make sure the rent gets paid. I have to confess DD needs to learn to budget!
sotebirmingham
BRIT Award

Post by sotebirmingham »

Is anyone struggling with accommodation for Performers Birmingham? We have one room available in a 2 bed flat walking distance to Performers college
bankofmumma
Nominee

Post by bankofmumma »

my DD has just finished her 3 year BA degree at Chichester doing MT Triple threat. She would not recommended it at all. she loves acting but only received 2 hours a week and voice coaching was limited. lots of dance if thats your thing but but its not triple threat. contact hours are low and the quality of some of the teaching staff not great, there has recently been a dismissal which was long needed. She had high hopes for Chichester three years ago now she only sees it as a waste of time and a 55k debt. Choice wisely, it will make or break you
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

bankofmumma wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:45 am my DD has just finished her 3 year BA degree at Chichester doing MT Triple threat. She would not recommended it at all. she loves acting but only received 2 hours a week and voice coaching was limited. lots of dance if thats your thing but but its not triple threat. contact hours are low and the quality of some of the teaching staff not great, there has recently been a dismissal which was long needed. She had high hopes for Chichester three years ago now she only sees it as a waste of time and a 55k debt. Choice wisely, it will make or break you
I am so sorry this has been your DD experience. Has she considered doing a masters at one of the top schools? I do hope she can find a happy resolution to her poor experience - it’s so sad that some courses/unis don’t take their responsibility seriously.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

[/quote]
bankofmumma wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:45 am my DD has just finished her 3 year BA degree at Chichester doing MT Triple threat. She would not recommended it at all. she loves acting but only received 2 hours a week and voice coaching was limited. lots of dance if thats your thing but but its not triple threat. contact hours are low and the quality of some of the teaching staff not great, there has recently been a dismissal which was long needed. She had high hopes for Chichester three years ago now she only sees it as a waste of time and a 55k debt. Choice wisely, it will make or break you
I'm sorry to hear. When my DD was at sixth form Chichester was being recommended as 'one to watch' for the future. I think you make a very good point though, most MT/triple threat courses do not give equal weighting to all 3 disciplines and usually acting is the lowest contact hours. My suggestion for those with children auditioning is that if you child has a particular leaning towards one discipline but wishes to do MT then ask at an open day/at interview or to the other students how the classes are divided up time wise. This will give you an idea of what the college's particular focus is.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

That's a real shame - sorry to hear it. Triple threat seems to mean a lot of different things at different colleges. Does your daughter definitely want to be a MT performer above all, or an actor? If there's anyway she could fund an Acting Masters that might be a way forward.
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

2good2hurry wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:18 pm
lawn wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:19 am
2good2hurry wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:55 am

Thanks for your honesty, I really appreciate it. I think I've come to accept that we will need to find closer to £1000 pcm. I'm hoping that even a tiny bursary may help, but we will see and somehow find a way. DD knows she has to work, but we'd hoped that it wouldn't be too much. She really wants to house share, but I think a few are opting for halls for the stability too.

I will look at Acton, being from the midlands means we have no idea of what is an ok area or not, so this helps. I hadn't even thought of a bike though - great idea :)

Thanks again!
Is she on degree or DADA and if DADA does she get any finance at all for living costs? Up till now we've always paid full rent for our kids when doing degrees and left them their student loan to live on. Nearly 10K for DD's halls is just too expensive for us to do this way. We're taking all her student loan and topping it to pay rent then will send her money to live on. She's got some seasonal work lined up that should give her money to live on and hopefully will find a job down there too.
No DADA sadly, so we will be topping up the fees ourselves. She’s got student finance but not enough to pay the rent since the change in student finance and expectation of parental contribution a few years ago. It’s so tough when there are fees to pay as well. She will have to work too. It’s a good idea about taking the student finance and topping up to make sure the rent gets paid. I have to confess DD needs to learn to budget!
Good luck with finding accommodation for Arts - it’s tough but something will turn up. If she knows people that are there already get them to go an look at properties for you - my son has just sone that for someone who was looking and they got the flat. As someone said local landlords like Arts students and that helps in the current climate with several viewings on properties before they even go on the market. If you speak with Agents always ask them if they have anything else coming on the market to get ahead of the game.