Auditioning for 2023 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

StartingLate
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2023 entry

Post by StartingLate »

2good2hurry wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:51 pm
StartingLate wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:17 am My DD has good news story about taking time out too.

She auditioned 2 years ago, got several diploma offers from lower level colleges. Decided to stay in school and complete her education and try again this year.

This year she applied to her top 6 colleges. She was thrilled to get 4 great degree offers.
Thankfully all auditions were in person this year and she got a feel for the colleges, which really helped with making her decision. 2 years ago auditions were self tape and zoom.

This time around she knew what was required and worked hard during the 2 years. She was very prepared for auditions. Thought she couldn’t control having a desperate cold in day of Bird audition (got waitlisted there).

I’m delighted all the hard work paid off and that she can follow her dream.
Fantastic news. Has she decided which offer she want to take? X
Yes! Decision made.
She really struggled with making decision between final 2 colleges. In the end it came down to the audition she loved the most. She decided on LSC. It took her 3 weeks to decide. It is a big decision to make, but at least she knew she would love either, which took the pressure off but also made it harder to decide.

She accepted place last weekend and I booked halls this week. Woohoo!!

Now she needs to settle down and work hard for exams in June!
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

So it looks like dd will be taking a gap year. She got a no from GSA, her final BA audition this year. She is still waiting for a couple of interview dates for foundation, which were the outcomes of BA auditions. Neither of them are funded, and whatever the outcome she’s decided not to do a foundation this year. Although disappointing, I can see a huge relief in her, she’s glad it’s all over for now. She is looking forward to taking a year out and having some free time to enjoy herself before the madness of auditions starts again. She has learnt a great deal about the audition process, and definitely has a clearer idea of where she would like to apply next time. She didn’t apply to all schools she originally intended to, and she withdrew an application along the way. Thank you everyone for your support and good luck to all those who got offers or are still waiting to hear.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

Ditzi wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:34 pm So it looks like dd will be taking a gap year. She got a no from GSA, her final BA audition this year. She is still waiting for a couple of interview dates for foundation, which were the outcomes of BA auditions. Neither of them are funded, and whatever the outcome she’s decided not to do a foundation this year. Although disappointing, I can see a huge relief in her, she’s glad it’s all over for now. She is looking forward to taking a year out and having some free time to enjoy herself before the madness of auditions starts again. She has learnt a great deal about the audition process, and definitely has a clearer idea of where she would like to apply next time. She didn’t apply to all schools she originally intended to, and she withdrew an application along the way. Thank you everyone for your support and good luck to all those who got offers or are still waiting to hear.
My DD is thinking now about this, she heard today she didn’t get into LIPA MT, which was one of her favourites.

She has got an offer for Chichester MT (music) and ICT Brighton, the latter of which she doesn’t want to go to. We may go and have another look at Chichester, before her final decision.

It’s scary to think she will have a year out, but Prosecco’ sons and others experience with applying again, makes me feel a little more positive. I just don’t want her to take a place somewhere she’s not totally enthusiastic about.

It doesn’t seem too long before they start again! Is it better to get applications in sooner or later do you think? She left it late this year.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Ditzi wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:34 pm So it looks like dd will be taking a gap year. She got a no from GSA, her final BA audition this year. She is still waiting for a couple of interview dates for foundation, which were the outcomes of BA auditions. Neither of them are funded, and whatever the outcome she’s decided not to do a foundation this year. Although disappointing, I can see a huge relief in her, she’s glad it’s all over for now. She is looking forward to taking a year out and having some free time to enjoy herself before the madness of auditions starts again. She has learnt a great deal about the audition process, and definitely has a clearer idea of where she would like to apply next time. She didn’t apply to all schools she originally intended to, and she withdrew an application along the way. Thank you everyone for your support and good luck to all those who got offers or are still waiting to hear.
Ah, sorry to hear this. I hope she has a nice relaxing summer and has a great audition season next time round.
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

@K8t
I think definitely don’t apply late but also not too early. So perhaps late Dec or early/mid Jan?
I think the later auditions are more challenging. Places will have been handed out all along and perhaps not so many slots remaining, and they may have their fill of particular ‘types’.
Did your DD get any feedback from the auditions that she can work on?
They really do learn so much by going through the process that will be to their advantage second time around. And it really helps them identify which courses are right for them.
Best of luck to your DD!
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

K8t wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:52 pm
My DD is thinking now about this, she heard today she didn’t get into LIPA MT, which was one of her favourites.

She has got an offer for Chichester MT (music) and ICT Brighton, the latter of which she doesn’t want to go to. We may go and have another look at Chichester, before her final decision.

It’s scary to think she will have a year out, but Prosecco’ sons and others experience with applying again, makes me feel a little more positive. I just don’t want her to take a place somewhere she’s not totally enthusiastic about.

It doesn’t seem too long before they start again! Is it better to get applications in sooner or later do you think? She left it late this year.
Ditzi and K8t I absolutely know how scary it is and the first few months can be hard to keep them positive but I genuinely think that having the time to think about the audition process without the pressure of school is a game changer. DS applied to a much different set of degrees this time. Do message me if I can help in any way!
DS has made his decision and he is off to RAM! Somewhere he never thought possible and am sure he wouldn’t have got in without the year out and all the experience it gave.
Exciting times ahead. Good luck everyone-hang on in there!
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

K8t you’re right, I’m sure it will soon come around! Dd will definitely apply earlier next year, she too applied late, just before the deadline for most places. I definitely think it’s harder to get in as most places would have been filled. And I totally agree that they have to want to go to wherever they end up going.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Proseccoplease wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:32 pm

Ditzi and K8t I absolutely know how scary it is and the first few months can be hard to keep them positive but I genuinely think that having the time to think about the audition process without the pressure of school is a game changer. DS applied to a much different set of degrees this time. Do message me if I can help in any way!
DS has made his decision and he is off to RAM! Somewhere he never thought possible and am sure he wouldn’t have got in without the year out and all the experience it gave.
Proseccoplease that’s very reassuring to hear, thank you! It is scary I must admit, but I trust her judgment. Luckily she has friends in a similar situation, so she’s not alone. She has ideas as to how she’s planning to make the most of it - have fun but also keep up her training. Good luck to your ds!
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Harry2003 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:41 pm
Ah, sorry to hear this. I hope she has a nice relaxing summer and has a great audition season next time round.
Thank you Harry2003, I’m sure next time will soon come around.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

Proseccoplease wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:32 pm

Thank you, I do feel too that the application process this year was very much rushed for us, and I felt college didn’t support students as much as I was expecting with audition choices, she said having seen others she would choose different next time and also what colleges.

Good luck to your son, exciting times for him and relief for you!
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Huge congratulations to Proseccoplease's son, who has done spectacularly well.

K8T, it sounds like your DD did well, but if she's not happy with what she got why not spend a year sharpening skills and try again for some colleges she would really want to go to. If she's going for MT just don't let the dance and singing slip, but presumably she could work and pay for good classes.

@Ditzi, sorry to hear it was a no from GSA. I'm sure your DD is really good if she got into NYT, and it just wasn't her year this time - even more normal for Acting than for MT to need to have several goes and be a bit older, I think. If I were her I would try to audition a bit earlier in the year when they haven't already given away so many places. It was really hard this year alongside schoolwork, I'm sure, but next year should be much easier in that respect.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

DD is so torn over a year out and reapplying or accepting Uni of Chichester MT music, she just doesn’t know what to do.

I don’t feel I’m much use! She can defer a year, but then couldn’t apply to any colleges through UCAS unless she rejects Chichester.

Chichester has good ratings, but not necessarily for MT, I think their triple threat is known - which dd went for - but not so much the other courses (Performance, Music, Cabaret)

The head of MT Music course was in charge of TT for years and wanted to set up a MT course concentrating on song delivery/acting through song. They do the same amount of dance and acting, but work more on voice and marks aren’t weighted so much in dance.

Does anyone know anything about Chichester at all? The good bad or ugly? 😳

I thought she had made the decision to take a year, but apparently not!
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

K8t wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:03 pm DD is so torn over a year out and reapplying or accepting Uni of Chichester MT music, she just doesn’t know what to do.

I don’t feel I’m much use! She can defer a year, but then couldn’t apply to any colleges through UCAS unless she rejects Chichester.

Chichester has good ratings, but not necessarily for MT, I think their triple threat is known - which dd went for - but not so much the other courses (Performance, Music, Cabaret)

The head of MT Music course was in charge of TT for years and wanted to set up a MT course concentrating on song delivery/acting through song. They do the same amount of dance and acting, but work more on voice and marks aren’t weighted so much in dance.

Someone’s dd on this forum went to Chichester, I remember there was a discussion on an older thread. I think her forum name was Robin64 but I could be wrong, you’ll find it if you look. Maybe send her a pm? Good luck with the decision making.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

K8t wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:03 pm DD is so torn over a year out and reapplying or accepting Uni of Chichester MT music, she just doesn’t know what to do.

I don’t know what Chichester is like but just wanted to say my dd was in the same situation. She didn’t want a year out and went to Hammond. Then had a year out to live a bit. She did some touring work performing and really loved it. Then she auditioned for Masters (as she felt not quite finished with missing out on so much training because of Covid)

She had a few offers and accepted GSA. She’s almost finished and is loving it. So there are so many options or different ways. So try not to worry. The first time she auditioned for GSA they said she was no good in any area! This time she was offered place at interview so the training definitely helped x Plus she was offered a great agent at Hammond so there’s less pressure with that too this time x Good luck and all the best with her decisions x
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

Marissa wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:55 pm

I don’t know what Chichester is like but just wanted to say my dd was in the same situation. She didn’t want a year out and went to Hammond. Then had a year out to live a bit. She did some touring work performing and really loved it. Then she auditioned for Masters (as she felt not quite finished with missing out on so much training because of Covid)

She had a few offers and accepted GSA. She’s almost finished and is loving it. So there are so many options or different ways. So try not to worry. The first time she auditioned for GSA they said she was no good in any area! This time she was offered place at interview so the training definitely helped x Plus she was offered a great agent at Hammond so there’s less pressure with that too this time x Good luck and all the best with her decisions x
Well done your dd. I think the problem is GSA was her dream and it’s letting go of that. Strange you mention a masters at GSA, because one of the reasons she’s contemplating not having a year out now, is that if she does the BA at a Chichester, she could apply for Masters at GSA!

She’s just had a recall for a part (acting) in a production at a prestigious theatre near home, I think if she gets it, she might take a year to think about things, it would look good in her CV!

So much juggling isn’t it?’