Auditioning for 2023 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2023 entry

Post by Proseccoplease »

Ditzi wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:47 pm
Proseccoplease wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pm CUCAS is basically how you apply to Conservatoires such as The Royal College of Music, Royal Welsh and Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. It’s through the UCAS website but you apply separately to your UCAS choices but it means you get another 5 choices. It works slightly differently in that it’s not through the school and you have to supply two references, one vocational and one academic. Hope that helps!
For the vocational reference on CUCAS, does the person who’s writing it get contacted by the school directly once you’ve submitted your application or do you have to send it when you apply?
So just to confuse things, DS has applied to RAM through UCAS conservatories and they require everything to be submitted through the Acceptd portal which then asks again for your two references and they are contacted again for their references. No idea why everything has to be done twice-so confusing! To be honest you need a degree just to manage all the different audition/self-tape submission information! Pass the gin!
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

The journey begins, DD submitted UCAS forms this week. Looks like weekend will be spent filling in forms from colleges 😊
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

Hi everyone

DD is thrilled that on her third year of applying she has an early offer to a very good drama school. Having never got this far, we're not sure what to do. She does want to attend all of her outstanding auditions and make an informed choice. What we're not sure of is whether accepting this offer now will invalidate all of her upcoming auditions if you see what I mean.

Any advice gratefully received.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

2good2hurry that is fabulous news for your DD! You must be thrilled and so nice to have an early offer in the bank so she can enjoy the other auditions. I can’t see how accepting the offer will affect her other auditions but then I’m sure someone more experienced than me will know better! Open the champers!😊
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

Proseccoplease wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:30 pm 2good2hurry that is fabulous news for your DD! You must be thrilled and so nice to have an early offer in the bank so she can enjoy the other auditions. I can’t see how accepting the offer will affect her other auditions but then I’m sure someone more experienced than me will know better! Open the champers!😊
Thank you! She has done an amazing foundation this year which has had a huge impact on her. So relieved and happy at the same time! 😊
LizzyBee
BRIT Award

Post by LizzyBee »

2good2hurry wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:41 pm
Proseccoplease wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:30 pm 2good2hurry that is fabulous news for your DD! You must be thrilled and so nice to have an early offer in the bank so she can enjoy the other auditions. I can’t see how accepting the offer will affect her other auditions but then I’m sure someone more experienced than me will know better! Open the champers!😊
Thank you! She has done an amazing foundation this year which has had a huge impact on her. So relieved and happy at the same time! 😊
Great news! We’re just about to start on year 2 applying and will definitely consider foundation if don’t get one of the dream places. Can I ask where she did her foundation?
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

LizzyBee wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:51 pm
2good2hurry wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:41 pm
Great news! We’re just about to start on year 2 applying and will definitely consider foundation if don’t get one of the dream places. Can I ask where she did her foundation?
Hi LizzyBee Yes. Of course. DD was adamant she wanted a 'top' drama school for her degree, so foundation was the way to get there. She is at SOTE (School of Theatre Excellence) in Birmingham. She loved it when she auditioned, and their progression is fantastic - check them out on Instagram if you want to see. They start in August to maximise the training ahead of auditions. Sadly, it's not funded but has been a great investment and she loves it there! Please feel free to pm me if I can tell you more 😊
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

2good2hurry wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:58 pm Hi everyone

DD is thrilled that on her third year of applying she has an early offer to a very good drama school. Having never got this far, we're not sure what to do. She does want to attend all of her outstanding auditions and make an informed choice. What we're not sure of is whether accepting this offer now will invalidate all of her upcoming auditions if you see what I mean.

Hi, congrats to your DD! Thats great news, and shows what perseverance and hard work can do! :). From experience unless the drama school are pushing for a confirmation or rejection, I would just wait. I only have experience from an MT background, but sometimes schools want a holding deposit and a firm acceptance. If this isn't the case then you can just wait. They aren't going to take the offer away unless they are one of those schools that demand a quick yes or no, which I'm guessing this isn't one of those places? You could call the school and just ask if you are not sure. Just tell them your DD loved the audition and is keen but wants to get the full audition experience before weighing up her options. I am sure they will be supportive. Good luck :) x
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Huge congrats to your DD 2good2hurry. That's brilliant.

DS has finally submitted his UCAS and I think plans to apply to a couple more of the independent places over the Christmas break. He's such a last-minute person. But at least he has chosen some monologues and is ready to start videoing/zooming/auditioning. Things seem o be ramping up with lots of friends getting auditions/recalls/offers etc. Exciting times. Good luck to all.
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

MTDreams wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:50 pm
2good2hurry wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:58 pm Hi everyone

Hi, congrats to your DD! Thats great news, and shows what perseverance and hard work can do! :). From experience unless the drama school are pushing for a confirmation or rejection, I would just wait. I only have experience from an MT background, but sometimes schools want a holding deposit and a firm acceptance. If this isn't the case then you can just wait. They aren't going to take the offer away unless they are one of those schools that demand a quick yes or no, which I'm guessing this isn't one of those places? You could call the school and just ask if you are not sure. Just tell them your DD loved the audition and is keen but wants to get the full audition experience before weighing up her options. I am sure they will be supportive. Good luck :) x
Thanks MTDreams. I can’t begin to tell you what a relief it is. Hopefully sharing her story will give hope to others who don’t get the places they hope for first (or second) time around.
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

Happy Christmas everyone!

DD sent off her UCAS a few weeks ago.
She has heard from all except Wilkes.
Has anybody heard back from Wilkes? Should she send email to them directly?

Looks like February will be busy audition month for DD.
Coming immediately in the heels of her mock exams.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Happy 2023 everyone. May it bring all our DC places at good schools and colleges! DS has been very laid back about his applications, but the UCAS finally got submitted and he has some monologues almost ready to upload, and he's done a couple of non-UCAS applications too. Has an in person audition soon and a zoom somewhere else, in addition to the first rounds by self tape. It all feels a bit scary - he'll be fine navigating himself to auditions and dealing with roomfuls of strangers, but I don't know how ready he is for the inevitable knockbacks and rejections. Even one little recall would be a huge boost to the confidence!
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Where has everyone gone?!
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

I was thinking the same. Personally I’m sitting in a Wetherspoons awaiting the outcome of an audition! :)
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

https://www.cdmt.org.uk/
Link above is for the CDMT conference held at Mounview.
I cannot stress how valuable this was to my DD before auditioning.
Great representation, informative, showcases and a chance to try a class from lots of drama schools.
Opportunities to hear what tutors have to say about training.
A great day for finding out what is on offer.