Auditioning for 2023 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

K8t
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2023 entry

Post by K8t »

MTDreams wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:46 pm
Ditzi wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:48 pm
biscuitsneeded wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:00 pm

Break a leg to her - hope she enjoys it and it goes really well. My son will accept GSA unless he magically gets a place at Central from the reserve list. He really likes GSA too and would be very happy to go there, but just wants to wait a bit longer and see what happens.
Thanks biscuitneeded, she really enjoyed her audition today, she came out beaming with happiness. She loved the workshop, the facilities, the campus, the course leader and the way she was directed with her monologue, different to how she has been used to. She feels it went well, which is a big statement for her - she usually says it could have gone better. The only issue is that they haven’t kept anyone behind for an interview, the course leader said she doesn’t want to rush into making decisions and that she feels she needs to consult with other senior members. She isn’t sure what to make of it, we both know that if you aren’t offered an interview you didn’t get in, but finds it unusual that nobody was offered one, although she thinks the standard was very high. Perhaps being quiet late in the year, most places have been offered already and none of those auditioning today were what they were looking for. They’ve been told they’ll let them know within 2 weeks. If she doesn’t get in, which is what she’s expecting , it has been an amazing experience, and she’ll definitely audition for GSA again next year, including foundation. She said this has been the most stress free and enjoyable audition she’s ever had, now we understand why everyone loves GSA. Good luck to your ds, wherever he ends up going I’m sure he’ll have a great time 😊
Hi Ditzi, fingers crossed for your DD, but if she doesn't get the result she hopes for I don't think its too late to apply for the foundation this year at GSA. It maybe worth taking a look at if your DD is interested. Wasn't sure if that was something you had thought about :) This is what we did when DD was auditioning, she got rejected by GSA, applied separately for the foundation and got in :) Good luck to your DD!
That’s really helpful for us too, thank you.

DD is in a similar position, had two, what she thinks are mediocre offers, ICT Brighton and Chichester, applied GSA, Central
arts and didn’t get in, now waiting on GSA foundation. She is also waiting on LIPA, but as it is a new course for MT and the ex head of GSA has taken it over, they are likely to be a tough gig!

She too is looking at a year out and reapplying. I think she’s gained so much experience on what to expect, what places are priority, audition pieces etc from this process, next time will be ‘slightly’ less painful.

The waiting is horrendous though.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

MTDreams wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:31 pm
Ditzi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:09 am
MTDreams wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:46 pm

Hi Ditzi, fingers crossed for your DD, but if she doesn't get the result she hopes for I don't think its too late to apply for the foundation this year at GSA. It maybe worth taking a look at if your DD is interested. Wasn't sure if that was something you had thought about :) This is what we did when DD was auditioning, she got rejected by GSA, applied separately for the foundation and got in :) Good luck to your DD!
Thank you MTDreams, I have suggested this to her, she’s thinking about it. She’s not sure if she wants to do a foundation this year, she thinks she would benefit (on a personal level) from taking a year out instead. Knowing how difficult it is to get in first time, this was her plan all along. If she doesn’t get in this year, next year she’ll definitely consider foundations as well. She also has more of an idea which schools she would like to go to, this year has definitely been a learning process for her.
Good luck to your DD whatever happens and whatever she decides to do. Many people audition 2 or more years before they get in somewhere, so taking a year out is so normal. I was at GSA on Saturday as my youngest takes acting classes at their Saturday school and there were both acting and MT recalls happening so they are still going on. Fingers crossed you hear soon.
That’s good to know, thank you.
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

Just wondering if anyone has insight or experience of the Bird waiting list for MT? DD's friend is on waiting list but is wondering whether this might convert to an offer?

Many thanks. :D
Nic16977
Nominee

Post by Nic16977 »

2good2hurry wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:48 pm Just wondering if anyone has insight or experience of the Bird waiting list for MT? DD's friend is on waiting list but is wondering whether this might convert to an offer?

2019 entry my daughter was on the BA waiting list, was asked if she wanted a place on the DaDA funded diploma waiting list too as she was higher up on that, and was eventually offered a place really late in July & accepted. She graduated early last year as she had a job offer before finishing 😁
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

Nic16977 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:18 pm
2good2hurry wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:48 pm Just wondering if anyone has insight or experience of the Bird waiting list for MT? DD's friend is on waiting list but is wondering whether this might convert to an offer?

2019 entry my daughter was on the BA waiting list, was asked if she wanted a place on the DaDA funded diploma waiting list too as she was higher up on that, and was eventually offered a place really late in July & accepted. She graduated early last year as she had a job offer before finishing 😁
Ooh thank you. We will keep everything crossed for her then :)
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

And we’re finally done! All auditions over and results in. Stupidly proud of DS who having got no degree offers last year has got degree offers from Royal Welsh, RCS, EDA, Mountview and postgrad at RAM. To anyone not getting the results they want this year know that taking a year out is definitely not the end of the world! Good luck to everyone still going through it, I’ve done all the emotions over the last two years! Have certainly learnt a LOT about the auditions process! Didn’t think the tricky thing this year would be choosing where to go.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Proseccoplease wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:53 pm And we’re finally done! All auditions over and results in. Stupidly proud of DS who having got no degree offers last year has got degree offers from Royal Welsh, RCS, EDA, Mountview and postgrad at RAM. To anyone not getting the results they want this year know that taking a year out is definitely not the end of the world! Good luck to everyone still going through it, I’ve done all the emotions over the last two years! Have certainly learnt a LOT about the auditions process! Didn’t think the tricky thing this year would be choosing where to go.
Congratulations to your ds, amazing offers, and well done to you for keeping sane during this time!
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Proseccoplease wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:53 pm And we’re finally done! All auditions over and results in. Stupidly proud of DS who having got no degree offers last year has got degree offers from Royal Welsh, RCS, EDA, Mountview and postgrad at RAM. To anyone not getting the results they want this year know that taking a year out is definitely not the end of the world! Good luck to everyone still going through it, I’ve done all the emotions over the last two years! Have certainly learnt a LOT about the auditions process! Didn’t think the tricky thing this year would be choosing where to go.
Amazing! Fantastic results. Many congratulations to him.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Thanks Ditzi and Harry2003! In happy shock! Has been pretty depressing at times so very happy for it all to be over!
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

Fantastic news. Very well done to your DS.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

Wow, how fantastic. My daughter is thinking of a year out, this makes me feel a lot happier about it.

Did we possibly chat to you at Rose Bruford earlier this year? In the canteen?
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Thanks 2good2hurry and K8t, wasn’t me at Rose Bruford though. I felt sick at thought if DS turning down foundation and taking a year out and the uncertainty is definitely scary but worth it!
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

Proseccoplease wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:38 am Thanks 2good2hurry and K8t, wasn’t me at Rose Bruford though. I felt sick at thought if DS turning down foundation and taking a year out and the uncertainty is definitely scary but worth it!
Completely agree with the feeling. DD turned down foundation at Conti for two years running. She held her nerve whilst I quietly panicked!
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

My DD has good news story about taking time out too.

She auditioned 2 years ago, got several diploma offers from lower level colleges. Decided to stay in school and complete her education and try again this year.

This year she applied to her top 6 colleges. She was thrilled to get 4 great degree offers.
Thankfully all auditions were in person this year and she got a feel for the colleges, which really helped with making her decision. 2 years ago auditions were self tape and zoom.

This time around she knew what was required and worked hard during the 2 years. She was very prepared for auditions. Thought she couldn’t control having a desperate cold in day of Bird audition (got waitlisted there).

I’m delighted all the hard work paid off and that she can follow her dream.
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

StartingLate wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:17 am My DD has good news story about taking time out too.

She auditioned 2 years ago, got several diploma offers from lower level colleges. Decided to stay in school and complete her education and try again this year.

This year she applied to her top 6 colleges. She was thrilled to get 4 great degree offers.
Thankfully all auditions were in person this year and she got a feel for the colleges, which really helped with making her decision. 2 years ago auditions were self tape and zoom.

This time around she knew what was required and worked hard during the 2 years. She was very prepared for auditions. Thought she couldn’t control having a desperate cold in day of Bird audition (got waitlisted there).

I’m delighted all the hard work paid off and that she can follow her dream.
Fantastic news. Has she decided which offer she want to take? X