Auditioning for 2023 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Re: Auditioning for 2023 entry

Post by Ditzi »

amo185 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:48 pm Maintenance loans are only for first degrees. DADAs can be awarded for the Trinity Diploma. Not everyone however is awarded one and for the majority of people, a student loan with a maintenance loan is far more desirable - hence people opting for student finance at places like Mountview and ArtsEd (which offer both the diploma and the degree qualification) rather than accepting DADAs, or students choosing degree courses over diploma courses. Funding remains a minefield so it's worth checking all the additional costs at each college separately. Some now charge top up fees. Other colleges give access to the Advanced Learner Loan - the criteria and college list changes but it's another one to check. Good luck!
Hi amo185, it was the Oxford school of drama I was looking at, dd will be auditioning for straight acting courses. It says on their website that all students on their course who are eligible for a dada will be awarded one. Dd is definitely eligible for one but she wouldn’t qualify for the dada maintenance rate. They do offer advanced learner loans, I just wasn’t sure if she could apply for a student maintenance loan if she was on the diploma. It all makes sense now, thank you 😊
LizzyBee
BRIT Award

Post by LizzyBee »

Does anyone know if you can have more than 5 choices on UCAS if want to apply to foundations at same time as applying for the degrees?
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

I dont think it’s possible to have more than 5 UCAS applications but you can also have 5 CUCAS applications if that helps. But most Foundations as far as I’m aware aren’t through UCAS? Many also consider you for Foundation when you audition for degree.
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

You can have 5 UCAS, 5CUCAS, their also the direct application (non UCAS) courses (foundation, diplomas and some degrees).
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

Can anyone tell me if applying for musical theatre/dance degree if separate application is needed if also interested in diploma or foundation?
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

It is different for each college, you're best to ask the individual colleges, from memory Artsed automatically considers students who have applied for their degree for the foundation. GSA accepts seperate applications for their foundation but will also offer some people a foundation audition at the end of the degree interview (my dd didn't get a recall for GSA but was successful for her seperate foundation course application). Italia Conti she applied for the cert ed only and at the recall most people who were there were people who hadn't been offered degree but a cert ed recall. Mountview I think is different again! So it's worth contacting the different colleges to see what they do but I personally I wouldn't use up a UCAS place on both a degree course and a cert ed unless you have space spare! My dd only applied to independent foundations at the end of her auditions when she had heard back from everywhere so as not to waste time and money! Hope that helps!
Bbzoom
BRIT Award

Post by Bbzoom »

Can I ask what CUCAS is? Have googled it but I don’t think I got it right! Thanks
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

CUCAS is basically how you apply to Conservatoires such as The Royal College of Music, Royal Welsh and Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. It’s through the UCAS website but you apply separately to your UCAS choices but it means you get another 5 choices. It works slightly differently in that it’s not through the school and you have to supply two references, one vocational and one academic. Hope that helps!
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of performing a devised piece for Royal Central School of Speech and Drama audition. Its a new one for DD, so trying to gather any hints please.

biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Also, CUCAS is now called UCAS Conservatoires, I think. It's all ridiculously confusing!
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

2good2hurry wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:28 pm Just wondering if anyone has any experience of performing a devised piece for Royal Central School of Speech and Drama audition. Its a new one for DD, so trying to gather any hints please.

I think you are free to respond anyway you like. So you could do a song, spoken word, movement etc. I suppose they want to see your creativity.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Proseccoplease wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pm CUCAS is basically how you apply to Conservatoires such as The Royal College of Music, Royal Welsh and Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. It’s through the UCAS website but you apply separately to your UCAS choices but it means you get another 5 choices. It works slightly differently in that it’s not through the school and you have to supply two references, one vocational and one academic. Hope that helps!
For the vocational reference on CUCAS, does the person who’s writing it get contacted by the school directly once you’ve submitted your application or do you have to send it when you apply?
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

I think you provide an email address of the referee, they then get told how to submit their reference, and then when it's submitted you can complete and submit the full application. So it is worth contacting the referee separately and asking them to do it as quickly as they can so as not to miss any deadlines.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

mrs_lovett wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:28 am I think you provide an email address of the referee, they then get told how to submit their reference, and then when it's submitted you can complete and submit the full application. So it is worth contacting the referee separately and asking them to do it as quickly as they can so as not to miss any deadlines.
Perfect, thanks mrs_lovett.
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:31 am Hello to those who have joined us!

@Alro, I am sure your DD has the right idea to get organised and audition early. Sadly DS, although very keen, does not really do 'early'. He's in a show in half term, and juggling rehearsals and schoolwork, so every time I suggest maybe looking at some monologues or researching some colleges he says he will do that in November! He may regret that later but I expect it's all part of the learning process. We managed to have a conversation about strategy; whether he should use this year to go all out for the 'big hitter' colleges like RADA, Guildhall etc, just to see what happens, since a place is unlikely at 18 anyway. I think he would take even a recall as an encouraging sign that it was worth another go in the future. Or he might choose purely on the strength of the course, which could put some lesser known but very interesting possibilities into the mix. But that's a risk when you don't know the track record for graduates because the schools are recent, or small.

How many colleges are people applying to? It makes sense to use the 5(?) UCAS places and then any conservatoires can be applied for separately, and then there are a couple that you apply to direct who have their own systems. But I don't want DS to feel completely overloaded, and although the audition fees seem reasonable-ish in isolation, you could very quickly end up spending £500 before you factor in any travel for any possible in person auditions. We've already discounted any schools where he wouldn't be eligible for full tuition fees paid by student finance, because we wouldn't be able to afford them anyway.
DD applied for 4 through UCAS, 2 conservatoire and 1 direct application. I did feel very all consuming betwee November and March.