Auditioning for 2023 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2023 entry

Post by lawn »

K8t wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:03 pm DD is so torn over a year out and reapplying or accepting Uni of Chichester MT music, she just doesn’t know what to do.

I don’t feel I’m much use! She can defer a year, but then couldn’t apply to any colleges through UCAS unless she rejects Chichester.

Chichester has good ratings, but not necessarily for MT, I think their triple threat is known - which dd went for - but not so much the other courses (Performance, Music, Cabaret)

The head of MT Music course was in charge of TT for years and wanted to set up a MT course concentrating on song delivery/acting through song. They do the same amount of dance and acting, but work more on voice and marks aren’t weighted so much in dance.

Does anyone know anything about Chichester at all? The good bad or ugly? 😳

I thought she had made the decision to take a year, but apparently not!
It's hard. 2 years ago mine had an offer for BA acting (changed from foundation) at a smaller drama school. She'd also had an offer from a dream school but not the course she wanted, so had rejected that. She was all set to do the degree when at the last minute she took a private foundation at a more well-known school having come last minute off a reserve list, I wasn't even aware she was on! We lost a £500 deposit and it's just as well that nothing had been signed for her accommodation, as I don't think we could have afforded for her to change her mind. A year on she tries again but only gets 2 offers again for foundation, though both funded this time and takes one. This year is her 3rd time trying and though she's got further than ever before, currently she has no outcome. It's highly possible that she's looking at a year out and trying again. I've questioned myself several times if she should have just took one of the offers she had the first year, DD believes she made the right decision though.

What's your daughter's gut feeling over it? I think when my DD was doing MT at sixth form (she's now 20) her then course leader predicted that Chichester would be one to watch in the future - I don't know whether they're there yet though. There was someone on her with a daughter studying there, that I think was in the early days of them having thr courses. I can't remember her name but I don't think it was Robin. Older threads might tell you.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

lawn wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:42 am
K8t wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:03 pm DD is so torn over a year out and reapplying or accepting Uni of Chichester MT music, she just doesn’t know what to do.

I don’t feel I’m much use! She can defer a year, but then couldn’t apply to any colleges through UCAS unless she rejects Chichester.

Chichester has good ratings, but not necessarily for MT, I think their triple threat is known - which dd went for - but not so much the other courses (Performance, Music, Cabaret)

The head of MT Music course was in charge of TT for years and wanted to set up a MT course concentrating on song delivery/acting through song. They do the same amount of dance and acting, but work more on voice and marks aren’t weighted so much in dance.

It's hard. 2 years ago mine had an offer for BA acting (changed from foundation) at a smaller drama school. She'd also had an offer from a dream school but not the course she wanted, so had rejected that. She was all set to do the degree when at the last minute she took a private foundation at a more well-known school having come last minute off a reserve list, I wasn't even aware she was on! We lost a £500 deposit and it's just as well that nothing had been signed for her accommodation, as I don't think we could have afforded for her to change her mind. A year on she tries again but only gets 2 offers again for foundation, though both funded this time and takes one. This year is her 3rd time trying and though she's got further than ever before, currently she has no outcome. It's highly possible that she's looking at a year out and trying again. I've questioned myself several times if she should have just took one of the offers she had the first year, DD believes she made the right decision though.

What's your daughter's gut feeling over it? I think when my DD was doing MT at sixth form (she's now 20) her then course leader predicted that Chichester would be one to watch in the future - I don't know whether they're there yet though. There was someone on her with a daughter studying there, that I think was in the early days of them having thr courses. I can't remember her name but I don't think it was Robin. Older threads might tell you.
Thank you for the reply. That’s my concern, that next year there may be no other better offers. She could defer snd just apply to those that don’t go through UCAS, but to reapply to GSA she has to let Chi go.

I do know when she was on a GSA pre audition course, they rated Chi highly and it is now a Conservatoire, so it’s definitely in the way up still. Her gut feeling, I think she’s tempted, she didn’t go for foundations except GSA as she was at. Performing Arts College, so felt like it would be a repeat, her tutors seemed to think it would be a waste of time.

I did a search. Thank you and have PM’d two people whose dd’s have gone, no reply yet.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

K8t wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:54 am
lawn wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:42 am

Thank you for the reply. That’s my concern, that next year there may be no other better offers. She could defer snd just apply to those that don’t go through UCAS, but to reapply to GSA she has to let Chi go.

I do know when she was on a GSA pre audition course, they rated Chi highly and it is now a Conservatoire, so it’s definitely in the way up still. Her gut feeling, I think she’s tempted, she didn’t go for foundations except GSA as she was at. Performing Arts College, so felt like it would be a repeat, her tutors seemed to think it would be a waste of time.

I did a search. Thank you and have PM’d two people whose dd’s have gone, no reply yet.
Another thing she should maybe ask herself, if another drama school she applied to had offered (other than her GSA dream) would she have taken that over Chichester? If she would have then that suggests to me she wants to hold out for somewhere different to Chichester.

If she would have turned everywhere else (other than GSA) down and taken Chichester then she has to decide whether she wants to turn down the offer on the table down in the hope of catching the dream in another year.

Some soul searching to do, I don't envy you.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

[/quote]Another thing she should maybe ask herself, if another drama school she applied to had offered (other than her GSA dream) would she have taken that over Chichester? If she would have then that suggests to me she wants to hold out for somewhere different to Chichester.

If she would have turned everywhere else (other than GSA) down and taken Chichester then she has to decide whether she wants to turn down the offer on the table down in the hope of catching the dream in another year.

Some soul searching to do, I don't envy you.
[/quote]

If it had been Arts Ed, or CSSD, she would have taken it I think, even foundation.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

@K8T presumably if your DD declines Chichester this year and reapplies to GSA next year through UCAS, she can also reapply to Chichester? I mean people must withdraw for all kinds of reasons, and she can just say this year wasn't the right time to go in the end, but next year could be. Of course there's the risk they don't make her an offer a second time, but if her heart isn't in going there now and she still wants to see where else she can get into, no harm at all in taking a gap year and trying again. Just keep the MT going in the meantime.
I think you said (and sorry if wasn't you!) that she didn't apply to very many places this year and also applied later on, because of the pressures of schoolwork. Next year she could get a clear run at it, apply to some colleges she didn't try for this year as well as GSA - she may end up with some very different outcomes next time around.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Be brave - don't accept a place that your DD isn't 100% confident in.
It's incredibly tough out there with agents now - you will think this part was easy in a few years time.
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

Proseccoplease wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:45 am Hi, anyone on here know anything about the IAB? It's been recommended to DS by a couple of teachers and intrigued to know of anyone's experiences.
Hi, did you get any response to this? Or does anyone else have any experience or knowledge of IAB? My DD is thinking of doing the summer course with a friend this summer and I just wanted to see what the general opinion was.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Hilltop wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:01 pm
Proseccoplease wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:45 am Hi, anyone on here know anything about the IAB? It's been recommended to DS by a couple of teachers and intrigued to know of anyone's experiences.
Hi, did you get any response to this? Or does anyone else have any experience or knowledge of IAB? My DD is thinking of doing the summer course with a friend this summer and I just wanted to see what the general opinion was.
Hi, My DD is also thinking of doing the summer school (acting). She was set to go in 2020 but pandemic changed plans We do know someone who did the foundation there (MT) and used to watch some of her videos. I didn't get the impression that the standard of dancing was very high though. Said girl is now at the same drama on a degree course school where DD is (she's on foundation). The girl loved the experience at IAB there's no funding for a degree there though from student finance which makes it a No from us.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

Thank you everyone for your help and experience. DD decided on a gap year and to defer her place for the time being.

However, today she was asked by a college that she didn’t get in on the BA course, if she would like to audition for their foundation! It is something she would take too if she was successful, so has thrown a spanner in the works.

Because it’s a re-audition, she says she wants to change her modern monologue and we’ve been looking through so many we’re lost! Can I ask those of you with daughters that have been successful, what theirs was. Obviously it’s all about delivery and talent, but it might be a useful exercise and throw up some other options.

Here we go again!!!

Many thanks.

2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

K8t wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:12 am Thank you everyone for your help and experience. DD decided on a gap year and to defer her place for the time being.

However, today she was asked by a college that she didn’t get in on the BA course, if she would like to audition for their foundation! It is something she would take too if she was successful, so has thrown a spanner in the works.

Because it’s a re-audition, she says she wants to change her modern monologue and we’ve been looking through so many we’re lost! Can I ask those of you with daughters that have been successful, what theirs was. Obviously it’s all about delivery and talent, but it might be a useful exercise and throw up some other options.

Here we go again!!!

Many thanks.

Hi K8T. I’ve asked DD what her monologue was and will update when she gets back to me. I wonder though if it is wise to change when she has probably invested so much time and energy in characterisation etc and whether she’d be able to do a new one justice in such a short time? Just a thought. I wonder what others think?
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Hmm K8t I think as 2good2hurry says choosing a new monologue at this time may be dicey. Does she have time to read and fully absorb a whole new play? In order to really deliver on a new monologue she would have to give it time to understand the context of the piece not just learn the words. I would say the biggest difference in DS's monologues second time round was that he really connected with them so it's important she feels that as she may well be asked what drew her to them. I think that is honestly more important that the monologue itself, but then I am definitely no drama expert!
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

2good2hurry wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:24 am
K8t wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:12 am Thank you everyone for your help and experience. DD decided on a gap year and to defer her place for the time being.

Here we go again!!!

Many thanks.

Hi K8T. I’ve asked DD what her monologue was and will update when she gets back to me. I wonder though if it is wise to change when she has probably invested so much time and energy in characterisation etc and whether she’d be able to do a new one justice in such a short time? Just a thought. I wonder what others think?
Update. She did Floss’s monologue from BU21
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

Proseccoplease wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:45 am Hmm K8t I think as 2good2hurry says choosing a new monologue at this time may be dicey. Does she have time to read and fully absorb a whole new play? In order to really deliver on a new monologue she would have to give it time to understand the context of the piece not just learn the words. I would say the biggest difference in DS's monologues second time round was that he really connected with them so it's important she feels that as she may well be asked what drew her to them. I think that is honestly more important that the monologue itself, but then I am definitely no drama expert!

Yes that’s my worry too. She did a brilliant one she knows well for a LAMDA exam, but she’s says college have told her not to do that, as it was on their syllabus, I say surely she could have found it on her own, without knowledge it was one of theirs?

Thank you @2good2hurry, I’ll pass that on.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

What Grade was it?

The concern might be that if it is a set LAMDA monologue that it might not be complex etc enough for degree level auditions.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

islandofsodor wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:04 am What Grade was it?

The concern might be that if it is a set LAMDA monologue that it might not be complex etc enough for degree level auditions.
Ahh yes, I hadn’t thought about that!

I think it was Grade 7.