Retaking 2nd year?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katyben
BRIT Award

Retaking 2nd year?

Post by Katyben »

Hello,
My daughter is a 2nd year at one of the big colleges and just feels that this year has been up in the air and wants to restart second year again in September- has anyones child ever done this?
jacsrab
BRIT Award

Re: Retaking 2nd year?

Post by jacsrab »

Sad to hear that and can't be easy for you either. I do hope that you get a sympathetic response from your college and can work something out. Could it just be a natural dip in the learning cycle? The last two years have been so messy for everyone.
My DD has several friends who are in their second year of degree courses at a large intake college ( it may be the same one ) who aren't happy. Writing essays and doing presentations wasn't what they thought they'd signed up for when they just want to learn to sing, dance and act.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

2nd year of sixth form or degree or if diploma with Dada or not?

On a 'usual' degree there is a gift year of funding that can be used if student fails a year. I don't know if that would apply in your daughter's case. I believe degrees will have an academic content to them, in addition to their practical performing arts classes.
Katyben
BRIT Award

Post by Katyben »

lawn wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:59 pm 2nd year of sixth form or degree or if diploma with Dada or not?

On a 'usual' degree there is a gift year of funding that can be used if student fails a year. I don't know if that would apply in your daughter's case. I believe degrees will have an academic content to them, in addition to their practical performing arts classes.
It’s a diploma with DADA
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

[/quote]It’s a diploma with DADA[/quote]

I don't know what rules on Dadas are, if you can repeat a year. You'd have to check with the college. Unless the feeling that this year has been up in the air is specific to your daughter (eg if she's missed time due to personal circs or injury) won't the same be true of all the students? Just the college may not agree to re-taking if she's experiencing the same as other students. If she feels she's fallen behind the others for whatever reason then she probably needs to speak to the course tutor about what she can do.

I do sympathise, I feel that 18 months of my daughter's 2 yr sixth form PA course was a waste of time. I had my reservations about mine taking a foundation course, especially in a different part of the UK to where we live whilst covid restrictions were possibly still looming. Thankfully was fine. I follow my daughter's sixth form college on facebook and there's some wistful thinking that they are now getting to do the experiences my DD should have had but didn't.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Unless there are some exceptional circumstances I doubt it would be allowed. My dd had dreadful mental health issues last year which along with covid meant she pretty much wrote the year off as a bad job. But she graduated and was not allowed to re-sit the year. We have had to pay for a postgrad to mitigate the loss of training.
Katyben
BRIT Award

Post by Katyben »

Just to update you all- my daughter is allowed to restart second year in September! I’m still a bit dubious but I guess she gets another year of training and is a lot happier in herself. Said she feels like a weights been lifted x