Pros & cons list to decide which college?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dillydaffy
BRIT Award

Pros & cons list to decide which college?

Post by Dillydaffy »

Hi- just wondered if anyone would be willing to share any insight, nuggets of wisdom, or lesser known info on the things to include in the pros & cons list……. we’re in the fortunate position of having a choice between colleges, but I can imagine there being a lot of fact wrangling in order to come up with ‘the one’, as they all seem amazing!! ……..
Much appreciated! ☺️
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Re: Pros & cons list to decide which college?

Post by lawn »

I'm sure people will add but off the top of my head.
Intake numbers per year group, class sizes, alumni destinations, details of agent showcase, course content -is it listed on the college's websites what they study in yrs 1,2 and 3 and how does that compare to the other one? Have you managed to get a typical timetable from a student already there? I also found the kit list was telling. Daughter turned down an acting degree at a drama school at the last minute, and their kit list included leotards and several dance shoes and not a single book Instead she's doing an Acting foundation at a more well known place and they wanted a complete Shakespeare plus a few other compulsory books and a reading list with suggestions to buy as and when and no leotards or dance shoes required.
Dillydaffy
BRIT Award

Post by Dillydaffy »

Thank you lawn, much appreciated
jacsrab
BRIT Award

Post by jacsrab »

It's both lovey and tricky when you have to choose! The paradox of choice but what a great position to be in.

I think the audition experience is quite important too, how did you feel and how did the auditioners make you feel?

Also, look for 'proper' mental health provision and not just token 'wellbeing' lip service stuff. It's a tough old business out there and our young people may/will need support from time to time. They will flourish in a place where they feel safe, supported and encouraged.
Dillydaffy
BRIT Award

Post by Dillydaffy »

Thank you jacsrab. ☺️
reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

Post by reachforthestars »

Congratulations on the multiple offers! I think you’ve been given some good pointers already. I would definitely check the contact hours on the course. My dd attended Laine and her days were full from 8.30am til around 6pm sometimes later, daily. She had a friend however, who attended another college who had very much less time “on the job” so to speak. They work long and hard at Laine but it was worth it. Also, my dd made her final decision based on what she classed as the discipline where she needed most work, which was dance. She figured that this would benefit her going forward. With her strengths being voice and acting she often found herself being showcased well in these areas, there was always tough competition for the dancers in this regard. Maybe look at how the students are showcased too. My dd was a 2020 grad which was difficult. Due to how Laine showcase their students, she had already been approached by several agents in 1st and 2nd year and had worked with choreographers, directors etc in their summer shows as opposed to friends at other schools who had not yet had a public performance or agent showcase when the pandemic hit. Finally, are they allowed to work? Laine students are auditioned for Crossroads panto (formally Qdos) each year. My dd worked as the leading lady/Princess for Qdos each year whilst at Laine, which was fabulous experience and provided many contacts within the industry. Hope this might help a little and good luck with the decisions to be made!
Dillydaffy
BRIT Award

Post by Dillydaffy »

reachforthestars wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:04 pm Congratulations on the multiple offers! I think you’ve been given some good pointers already. I would definitely check the contact hours on the course. My dd attended Laine and her days were full from 8.30am til around 6pm sometimes later, daily. She had a friend however, who attended another college who had very much less time “on the job” so to speak. They work long and hard at Laine but it was worth it. Also, my dd made her final decision based on what she classed as the discipline where she needed most work, which was dance. She figured that this would benefit her going forward. With her strengths being voice and acting she often found herself being showcased well in these areas, there was always tough competition for the dancers in this regard. Maybe look at how the students are showcased too. My dd was a 2020 grad which was difficult. Due to how Laine showcase their students, she had already been approached by several agents in 1st and 2nd year and had worked with choreographers, directors etc in their summer shows as opposed to friends at other schools who had not yet had a public performance or agent showcase when the pandemic hit. Finally, are they allowed to work? Laine students are auditioned for Crossroads panto (formally Qdos) each year. My dd worked as the leading lady/Princess for Qdos each year whilst at Laine, which was fabulous experience and provided many contacts within the industry. Hope this might help a little and good luck with the decisions to be made!
Ah thank you reachforthestars! Yes, she’s done very well!
One of her offers is for Laine, but the uncertainty over funding is likely to rule it out.
We think we’re getting somewhere with it all!!🤪

Sounds like your Dd has done really well- congratulations!