Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama (RWCMD)

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama (RWCMD)

Post by lawn »

Has anyone had a child train here or even just apply to Royal Welsh? It's been suggested to daughter that's one of the places she applies to. (this would be for acting) but she can't find much info about it beyond their own website.

After last year of self tapes, her taking a last minute foundation offer because she wasn't overly happy with her other offers and having to guess whether she'd like a school and location as lockdowns made it not possible to visit, I'm keen for her to know as much as possible this time round for her applications.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama (RWCMD)

Post by islandofsodor »

Dd applied last year for postgrad Musical Theatre and had a recall.

She didn’t get in but I think ultimately it wouldn’t have suited her. The recall was online and was quite tricky in her halls room. There was a LOT of improvisation, in fact the whole recall was improv from having to improv a dance to music they sent to improvising a vocal line to a set of chords. Dd is autistic, acting was her weakest area and improv her weakest aspect as she needs techniques to use, she doesn’t automatically “feel” things.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

islandofsodor wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:44 pm Dd applied last year for postgrad Musical Theatre and had a recall.

She didn’t get in but I think ultimately it wouldn’t have suited her. The recall was online and was quite tricky in her halls room. There was a LOT of improvisation, in fact the whole recall was improv from having to improv a dance to music they sent to improvising a vocal line to a set of chords. Dd is autistic, acting was her weakest area and improv her weakest aspect as she needs techniques to use, she doesn’t automatically “feel” things.
Thanks for the reply. For my daughter acting is her strongest, hence her reason to stick to that this year. Last year she threw in a handful of MT too, as she was on a MT sixth form course. She now thinks to stick to what she's best at especially as she only ever got 6 months of adequate MT training over two years at college due to the pandemic and staff changes. She is really strong at improv. Your comment has given me food for thought
as it makes me wonder if that's the reason the school has been suggested to her.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

That would make sense.

Whereas dd had 8 years of vocational dance training alongside quite a bit of singing and only a small amount of acting. She wanted to improve her acting (and is doing so where she ended up) but that particular approach was not what she needed for her learning style. Whereas it sounds more suited to your dd from what you say.

It was her acting teacher at college who had suggested RWCMD to her as somewhere he reccomended in general.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

DD had a recall for the degree at Royal Welsh last year - she liked the whole process and got very positive feedback. She wasn't offered a place - they were very complimentary but said the course wasn't right for her. But her friend was. Friend had a lot of professional experience in acting and a great voice. Both she and DD felt there was very little dancing (it was referred to as movement) and she has deferred for a year. The year group is small and quite unique with several Americans allocated places. However I do think it is worth applying as I think your DD would get a lot of individual attention. And it's a super venue for an MT course!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

amo185 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:08 pm DD had a recall for the degree at Royal Welsh last year - she liked the whole process and got very positive feedback. She wasn't offered a place - they were very complimentary but said the course wasn't right for her. But her friend was. Friend had a lot of professional experience in acting and a great voice. Both she and DD felt there was very little dancing (it was referred to as movement) and she has deferred for a year. The year group is small and quite unique with several Americans allocated places. However I do think it is worth applying as I think your DD would get a lot of individual attention. And it's a super venue for an MT course!
Hi. Thanks for response. It's BA Acting that daughter would apply for not MT. Is it MT that your daughter's friend applied for? Quite unusual for somewhere to defer a place too I thought, most places tell you to re-apply.
LizzyBee
BRIT Award

Post by LizzyBee »

Anyone got a child on the MT degree here that can share what it’s like? DD has a recall (no date yet) and liked the panel she met on first round over zoom. She is more singer-actor though has worked hard to pull her dance up to vocational grades so would still want decent training /focus on that too.