West End Kids

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

38ta
GRAMMY Award

West End Kids

Post by 38ta »

Hi there- does anyone have any experience of West End Kids? I notice they are opening up in Leeds and wondered what people’s thoughts were. Thanks
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Re: West End Kids

Post by amo185 »

DD was with WEK for seven years (six of which were in Troupe). She performed all over the UK at some great gigs, learned much about the MT industry and was very much pushed as a performer. She had to leave during lockdown when she could no longer give it the 100% commitment they demand. Leeds is a new venture and may well run differently to the larger London set up they have but could prevent long journeys into London every week for those living in the north. Training companies range from beginner performers (Blue) to those nearly ready to audition for the Troupe (Purple) but some go straight into Troupe without having been in Training, depending on their previous experience and ability. Dance is core at auditions rather than singing (however at times it's vocalists they're particularly looking for) but the vocal tuition offered, once a part of WEK, is excellent. DD meets regularly with other WEKs and many are very successful at college auditions etc. Go along to the audition and see how you feel! It's probably free and you've nothing to lose and possibly a lot to gain :)
suzcarlaj
Nominee

Post by suzcarlaj »

Does anyone know what happened to the Leeds branch? It seems they're only open for monthly associates?
Bbzoom
BRIT Award

Post by Bbzoom »

I don’t think they are even open for that according to the website. I know someone who went for a few weeks in Leeds and said the numbers were very low. Not sure why it didn’t seem to work out.
suzcarlaj
Nominee

Post by suzcarlaj »

That's ashame. I'm really surprised as thought it would be extremely popular!