New to this

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

New to this

Post by Hilltop »

Hi, my DD is 15 and has wanted me to look into signing her up to an agency for a long time, however, I know nothing about it so have put it off. I know she’s not at the right age for musical theatre but maybe odd acting work and modelling would be something that she’s like to do. Where do I start and what do I need to know and do? We’re based in Berkshire, so anything local or London would be good. I have no background in this so know nothing!
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Re: New to this

Post by ACookie »

OK so first of all just so you know, 15 is a really slow age for castings of any kind. At the end of year 11 or when the child turns 16 if it's in August, they no longer require their LEA's permission to perform and are what is known as out of licence. Most roles for 14-15 Yr olds will be taken by those over licencing age because its less hassle for production and less people on set which because of covid is also really important.

That said there is nothing wrong with getting an agent lined up because in 12 months time she will be in a better position to get castings.

Where your agent is located really doesn't matter. You would very rarely actually go to their offices as everything is done via email or phone. So don't worry about the precise location. Most in person castings used to be in London or possibly Manchester but now the majority of first round auditions are all done via self tape.

Research the agencies. I would suggest you look at those which cater for teens and maybe at least up to 21...If they have an adult division that may be good as your daughter will be able to stay for a while and gain experience. Some of them will only accept experienced actors who already have a CV of professional work. This is held on Spotlight which the tool all agencies use to submit clients for potential roles to casting directors. Have a look at agencies existing clients if you can see them.. Not all show their under 16's though, can you spot a gap your daughter could fill in any of them... They would be a good place to start.

They will all have information on their websites as to how to approach for representation. You're daughter will need to have some examples of what she is capable of... So a monologue, maybe a scene from a TV/show filmed, along with a CV outlining her experience, qualifications if she's done any in the arts, training, plus a good clear headshot photo of her in colour.

In the meanwhile look out on twitter in particular for open auditions, for student film that may help to get her some experience. If she hasn't done self taping of auditions before I'd also book onto a course to help as this is a huge part of casting now.
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Re: New to this

Post by Hilltop »

Thanks for the reply ACookie, that’s really useful. I did wonder if she was at an awkward age now. Will look into it a bit more.