MTA college closing

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

daisy1
GRAMMY Award

MTA college closing

Post by daisy1 »

I hope this is okay, but have seen on Twitter and heard from friends that the MTA is closing due to financial issues caused by Brexit and CoVid. It is due to close at the end of this year meaning the current first year students (it’s a two year unfunded course) will not get to complete their training. They are looking to raise funds to try and get at least through the next year and help current students complete their training, and possibly - if they raise enough - to stay open.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-the-mta
jacsrab
BRIT Award

Re: MTA college closing

Post by jacsrab »

It's devastating news. It is a fabulous college, such small numbers, lots of provision for positive mental health ( an industry leader) and one of the best provisions in the industry for preparation for professional life. No stupid waiting lists, audition decisions on the day, proper 100% agent representation ( not fudged ones through the drama school).But hey, that all goes against the industry grain, doesn't it?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

It must be a very difficult time for those students who are half way through their course or were due to start this coming academic year and are now left in limbo.

I did read on social media that the college my dd is about to start has offered to take on students. It is another small, personal college and we have been very impressed with communication and ethos so far which might be re-assuring to those considering it.
daisy1
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisy1 »

Update on the MTA, happily they have raised enough money to allow the 2022 graduates to finish their year, and they are also now offering fully funded places for 10 students who wouldn’t be in a position to go to drama schools. I’m not sure of all the details but it all sounds very promising and exciting.
https://twitter.com/themtaonline/status ... 67712?s=21
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Pleased to hear they've secured some money for their students. The principal used to post on here and it always seemed a lovely college with the way it was ran. The negative (IMO) was always that there was no funding available, I understand the reasons behind this, but in practical terms it meant unless you had the money to pay the fees, the only other option was a career development loan. I saw a while ago that these had been stopped and remember thinking of the MTA at the time and wondered if it would be affected by it.
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

Sad to hear but great they’ve got funding for current students .
The principal used to post on here and she sounded really great . What put me off was the cost and the fact that the courses weren’t accredited by an independent body .
Not necessarily essential once they prepare you to a high standard to be audition ready . However it’s important to have an accredited diploma or degree in case you need to go onto further study or you want to return to further education and want credits towards prior learning to be taken into account
theMTAonline
BRIT Award

Post by theMTAonline »

daisy1 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:48 pm Update on the MTA, happily they have raised enough money to allow the 2022 graduates to finish their year, and they are also now offering fully funded places for 10 students who wouldn’t be in a position to go to drama schools. I’m not sure of all the details but it all sounds very promising and exciting.
https://twitter.com/themtaonline/status ... 67712?s=21
Just catching up with things. Daisy thank you for posting about our fundraiser on here. I put up a post yesterday actually about us now having 10 fully funded places to offer. A miraculous turn around, and certainly not one that we'd anticipated, but hugely grateful to the support shown to us from the industry.