Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

jacsrab
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by jacsrab »

mumofshowgirl wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:30 pm Hi,
Does anyone have any experience with Drama Studio London in Grange Court London W5. My dd has been offered a place on the 1 year course in Acting and wondered how their training is and their productions as well as any work opportunities after the training. Do they easily get agent representation?

If you look on their website under Alumni, you can get an idea of how many have got agent representation.
mumofshowgirl
Nominee

Post by mumofshowgirl »

Thank you. Yes I have done that. Was just wondering if anyone has any personal experiences with this school
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

mumofshowgirl wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:55 pm Thank you. Yes I have done that. Was just wondering if anyone has any personal experiences with this school
Hi, can't give you any personal experience but there aren't that many of us on here with DC who do straight asking, most are MT which is why you may lack answers.

Is this like a foundation course she'd be doing or does she already have a degree?

Mine did an Acting foundation last year at a school probably better known than Drama Studio. I'm not naming it here though you'll find it on my old posts. Out of 19 who completed the course, only 2 have had offers of BA Acting, 2 offers of other courses ran at a the drama school, 2 funded foundations (1 of these is my daughter who also had a 2nd funded offer) and the other day I heard of an offer of a Masters at the same place my DD has accepted. The rest have no outcome though there's a couple on reserve lists. I've looked up the price of the 1 year diploma, would you be happy paying the fees (plus rent and living costs if applicable) if the end result was how I've described?

My DD is also fortunate that she has managed to find acting work off the back of her foundation. It's part time and seasonal at a tourist attraction but has given her experience that you can't get in a classroom setting, with different live audiences every half hour or so, doing her own stage make up, being responsible for the special effects in the shows, she's the only one from her course doing this type of work though, the others are working in bars or retail.
mumofshowgirl
Nominee

Post by mumofshowgirl »

Thanks for your response. Yes she has already done a 3 year Diploma in Musical Theatre at a London Drama School. She wants to pursue acting though. Their 1 year diploma is changing into a Masters in Professional Acting so it gives an ideal qualification and we would get funding. She would not have to live out as she can commute. But as you say, going to a drama school that is a little less well known, even though it gives a Masters, is worrying as not sure if at all worth it. It's ultimately her decision but I think that it what's causing her to 'not yet' accept the offer. We just don't know what the training is like. Very hard decision!!
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

mumofshowgirl wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:16 am Thanks for your response. Yes she has already done a 3 year Diploma in Musical Theatre at a London Drama School. She wants to pursue acting though. Their 1 year diploma is changing into a Masters in Professional Acting so it gives an ideal qualification and we would get funding. She would not have to live out as she can commute. But as you say, going to a drama school that is a little less well known, even though it gives a Masters, is worrying as not sure if at all worth it. It's ultimately her decision but I think that it what's causing her to 'not yet' accept the offer. We just don't know what the training is like. Very hard decision!!
I just had a look at their alumni, some established actors are listed on there. Surely that must suggest their training is good - or am I missing something?
mumofshowgirl
Nominee

Post by mumofshowgirl »

Yes maybe, however, I am being told by my DD that she is looking at their graduates from the last 8 years and is not fully impressed with the work most have done up to now so I guess that's why she's contemplating possibly declining the offer. She's not looking just to fill the time but actually getting onto a course that will get her great work, as I'm sure all our DC are. I am trying to help my DD but apparently I don't understand! Thanks for your input though, really appreciate it.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

mumofshowgirl wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:16 am Thanks for your response. Yes she has already done a 3 year Diploma in Musical Theatre at a London Drama School. She wants to pursue acting though. Their 1 year diploma is changing into a Masters in Professional Acting so it gives an ideal qualification and we would get funding. She would not have to live out as she can commute. But as you say, going to a drama school that is a little less well known, even though it gives a Masters, is worrying as not sure if at all worth it. It's ultimately her decision but I think that it what's causing her to 'not yet' accept the offer. We just don't know what the training is like. Very hard decision!!
Has she applied anywhere else or got other offers to consider? It's been mentioned on here before that only certain places would accept the diploma as a qualification for moving onto a masters. A combination of the qualification and age I believe. I know when I was noseying around some drama school websites last year that I came across a couple of drama schools that said their masters students had to be 21+. I believe one was Arts Ed, I can't remember the other. Is your DD under 21 as that might affect places offerred elsewhere?

The 3 students that already had degrees on my daughter's foundation, 2 were late 20s, 1 male, 1 intenational female and neither have offers. The 3rd with a music degree from Royal Holloway I believe is the one that's been offerred recently and has some more auditions. I think these were schools with spaces left advertising recently. Has she had a look to see if any others still have spaces. It's not that I think the offer she has won't be good, just that she might as well explore all options availab le before making a decision.

Has she tried speaking to current/former students of the course? That's what my DD did when she ended up with 2 offers. Found people on-line and asked their views.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

mumofshowgirl wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:41 pm Yes maybe, however, I am being told by my DD that she is looking at their graduates from the last 8 years and is not fully impressed with the work most have done up to now so I guess that's why she's contemplating possibly declining the offer. She's not looking just to fill the time but actually getting onto a course that will get her great work, as I'm sure all our DC are. I am trying to help my DD but apparently I don't understand! Thanks for your input though, really appreciate it.
Did she not get an agent from her showcase when she finished her diploma who is putting her forward for work?

Straight acting courses tend to prefer the mature student with 'life experience'. That is possibly some of the reason why my DD at 19 still hasn't got on a degree course. I do know that Mountview says they do not discrimate on age and know someone who got onto their degree at 18 and my DD did turn down a degree last year at a lesser known drama school (and I've questioned to myself several times if it was the right decision though from her POV it was). I'm just thinking if your daughter studied from 16-19 for the diploma and will find herself at 20 with both diploma and masters when many the same age haven't even been accepted onto a straight acting degree at that point, it *might* have an impact on the roles available, or who she's up against in castings.
mumofshowgirl
Nominee

Post by mumofshowgirl »

Do you mean with a Diploma and Masters at 20 that it will work in her favour or not?
She did do a showcase and they had agents there but apparently only about 20% of the whole year group got offers. She is still with the agent linked to the school but it's not ideal
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

mumofshowgirl wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:52 pm Do you mean with a Diploma and Masters at 20 that it will work in her favour or not?
She did do a showcase and they had agents there but apparently only about 20% of the whole year group got offers. She is still with the agent linked to the school but it's not ideal
Yes, I'm wondering how this would be perceived at auditions, when she'd be against the older, more life experienced person. It might not make the slightest bit of difference though, depending on her casting age. Even where DD works they've told her she's doing really well and they don't normally take people of her age on. She was 18 when she had her audition/interview and turned 19 shortly afterwards. As there's people there who came afterwards already 19 with birthdays that fall after hers she thinks they haven't realised she's had a birthday since joining.

That's poor about the agent representation.
MimisMum
Nominee

Post by MimisMum »

Thanks for the comments and support, especially amo185 and lawn....sorry, still haven't figured out how to continue a thread of conversation on this site!!
All the advice regarding reserve lists and funding has given me clarity and what's what, I have to admit to being a bag of nerves!....DD has now received an offer at Arts Ed for the BA course from the reserve list and she has just accepted!!!!!...all her Christmas's have come at once!
Hopefully, someone else out there will be celebrating a place too that she has given up and its their dream destination too!
mumofshowgirl
Nominee

Post by mumofshowgirl »

Yes it's very poor about the agent representation, especially from such a well known top musical theatre/drama school. Didn't expect, after attending there, to come out of it still having to look for agent representation. It is what it is and she will keep trying. But yes I understand your point about being young, with a Masters degree. Although it could also show great skills at an early age, who knows. You never know what a casting director is looking for. But, saying that, she has to decide this week and that will be her hardest decision.

Well done MinisMum with ArtsEd!!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

That's great news Mimismum! My dd has really grown during her first year at ArtsEd. At times she has felt quite young compared to the majority of the course but has learned SO much and knows it was the right choice for her. She can't wait to start Year 2. Good luck to your dd and congratulations!
MimisMum
Nominee

Post by MimisMum »

Accommodation available for ARTS ED student - looking for flatmate M/F
Room available for the new term in a lovely 2 bedroom flat walking distance to School and Chiswick High Street, sharing with one other - contact jotjott@hotmail.com

Posting on behalf of overseas Mum who cannot log on to this site and would appreciate an ask around!! thank you
Dillydaffy
BRIT Award

Post by Dillydaffy »

Just hopping on now, (as likely won’t be able to tomorrow) to wish everyone luck for A level results on Thursday-hope everything works out for everyone!!

With that in mind, what would be likely to happen if someone *wasn’t* to quite get the required grades……..

Asking for a friend………🫣🥴🤞🏻
♥️