Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Amf
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by Amf »

Amf wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:11 pm
Hilltop wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:42 pm Hi, thanks for the replies to my interview question. Sorry, I have another question! We’re applying for musical theatre 6th form at Emil Dale and we’re trying to fill out the ‘what makes you unique?’ question. We’re really struggling with this and wondered if anyone could give us some tips on how to answer/what they’re looking for. It’s a really tricky question to answer.
No idea tbh but they’ll want honesty, warmth & an insight into personality I’d guess. Everyone has something which is why we’re all different, hone in on that as a positive trait & sell it to them. Good luck xx
They are a lovely bunch there & want lovely talented driven people. My DS loved every minute & we were all really pleased with the course in its entirety
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Hilltop wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:42 pm Hi, thanks for the replies to my interview question. Sorry, I have another question! We’re applying for musical theatre 6th form at Emil Dale and we’re trying to fill out the ‘what makes you unique?’ question. We’re really struggling with this and wondered if anyone could give us some tips on how to answer/what they’re looking for. It’s a really tricky question to answer.
Not the answer to your question, but I just wanted to add dd was asked if she (we) could fund the course or would she need help with the fees and how is she planning to raise the money. Something to think about. Good luck with the audition.
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

For this question DD wrote ‘I am short and look young’ even at 18 she still meets the casting requirements for school of rock so 12 year olds a casting directors dream someone who looks 12, but doesn’t need a chaperone.
She has repeatably been told that this is one of her USPs.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

mrs_lovett wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:18 pm Hi all, My dd is trying to finish her ucas application and she is trying to put in her dance exams. Does anyone know for ISTD vocational whether it is National Tap or Stage Branch tap as she has to pick one of these! Any ideas, her certificate just says Tap Dance! Thanks all :)
I see someone has replied but the actual main ucas points to be eligible for the degree courses have to come from your academic studies eg btec/ A'levels as we have recently found out when applying last year. It doesn't hurt to include them though as 2 people we know at Urdang didn't reach the criteria of 80 points and they had to appeal and were allowed to 'top up' with dance exams as it is a performing arts course. This really then makes a mockery of the whole thing then as if you can get in on 60 'main' points it seems silly asking for 80!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

dancelifemum wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:06 am
mrs_lovett wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:18 pm Hi all, My dd is trying to finish her ucas application and she is trying to put in her dance exams. Does anyone know for ISTD vocational whether it is National Tap or Stage Branch tap as she has to pick one of these! Any ideas, her certificate just says Tap Dance! Thanks all :)
I see someone has replied but the actual main ucas points to be eligible for the degree courses have to come from your academic studies eg btec/ A'levels as we have recently found out when applying last year. It doesn't hurt to include them though as 2 people we know at Urdang didn't reach the criteria of 80 points and they had to appeal and were allowed to 'top up' with dance exams as it is a performing arts course. This really then makes a mockery of the whole thing then as if you can get in on 60 'main' points it seems silly asking for 80!
Hi, are you able to expand on 'as we recently found out' about the UCAS points? This time last year my DD hadn't taken her exams (UAL qualification) so could only put down what she had already got from performing arts exams as UCAS points already gained, plus put down the subject she was studying. She got a couple of conditional degree offers - that she would have met the requirement for through her college course, but chose at the last minute to do a foundation instead. This year because she's already gained the qualification I *think* she has 120 UCAS from her 6th form college (I found UAL difficult to work out) plus at least another 30 as she got distinction at grade 8 MT (singing) and also has a handful from the last level 6 drama exam she did before the pandemic hit.

I'd always thought that the UCAS points required would come from A level/level 3 study but in the event of falling short some places (possibly not all) would allow any gained via different route.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Each institution has their own policy on whether ucas points have to come solely from academic qualifications or whether dance and music exams can be included.
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

dancelifemum wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:06 am
Thank you very much for replying, we just thought it was good to include qualifications such as these in an MT application, she is doing 4 A levels so hopefully should have enough UCAS points from these anyway. Weird system though as we've found that Advanced 1 carries no ucas points but Advanced Foundation does!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

That’s because only Level 3 qualifications carry UCAS points. Adv 1 is Level 4 so equivalent to first year degree standard.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Very happy to announce my DS has just been offered Degree course at Urdang. Thrilled for him and it’s lovely to have an offer so early on.
Moonfaery8
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery8 »

Harry2003 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:18 pm Very happy to announce my DS has just been offered Degree course at Urdang. Thrilled for him and it’s lovely to have an offer so early on.
Congratulations to your DS 🎉 I am sure he will love it if that’s where he chooses to go. My eldest DD started her degree there this year and is loving it. My youngest DD has her audition there next month!
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Moonfaery8 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:24 pm
Congratulations to your DS 🎉 I am sure he will love it if that’s where he chooses to go. My eldest DD started her degree there this year and is loving it. My youngest DD has her audition there next month!
[/quote]

Thank you. Oh that’s very good to hear. All the best to your your youngest DD.
Dancersmum1
Nominee

Post by Dancersmum1 »

:D
Harry2003 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:18 pm Very happy to announce my DS has just been offered Degree course at Urdang. Thrilled for him and it’s lovely to have an offer so early on.
Ah congratulations!! DD has had performers offer confirmed this evening for 3 year Diploma
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Dancersmum1 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:55 pm :D
Ah congratulations!! DD has had performers offer confirmed this evening for 3 year Diploma
Fantastic! Many congratulations to her. 💕
Moonfaery8
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery8 »

Dancersmum1 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:55 pm :D
Congratulations to your DD 🎉 great to hear of these offers coming in!
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

That is brilliant, congratulations to your DS 😁! An early offer definitely helps to take the pressure off. I hope your DS enjoys the rest of his auditions. Well done again!

My DD is in her first year at Urdang on the degree course and loves it there.
Last edited by anastasia79 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.