Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by mrs_lovett »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:02 pm
mrs_lovett wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:39 pm Well done lawn's dd! Although it was for MT, my dd loved the vibe of Conti, very relaxed in the interview but the dance call was intense which is what she wanted. All the students were very welcoming and she felt a great atmosphere throughout her recall. The centre in Woking is obviously brand new, in the middle of a new shopping centre which may seem a bit weird but handy for lunch and lots of great restaurants/pubs near by. Really easy for the station. My concern was the lack of student housing in Woking, but there's loads in Guildford and it's so close to the station so would be easy. She says she would be more than happy there though we're still trying to get the money together for GSA! Best of luck to you and your dd for the decision making process!
Sorry to be nosey, but you said “we’re still trying to get the money together for GSA”. My dd wants to audition there next year and I thought it was a straight student loan payment, have I got this wrong and it’s more expensive? Oldest dd is at Wilkes but youngest not wanting such a dance based MT course so GSA was one of her choices, worried now it may not be an option.
It's for the foundation which is not funded. Sorry to confuse!
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

lawn wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:28 pm I *thought* degree courses at drama schools had to have x amount of contact hours (30 rings a bell) because this makes them eligible for something (spotlight??). It's a few years since the discussion came up but I vaguely remember hours being discussed at the time. This is unlike acting/MT courses at Unis where the contact hours do tend to be less.

For many, finances very much come into it and going down the student loan route is the only option available to make it affordable. We live in the North, living at home and commuting isn't a possibility, nor do we have any conveniently located relatives living near any drama school to send DD to. Finding tuition costs, rent and every penny of living costs isn't always manageable. The DC can't always work in term time due to the contact hours. My DD has done a 6 month foundation that we funded, thanks to a windfall, but we couldn't have continued this way and it's had a knock on effect of what she can apply to going forward. Thankfully her latest offer is with finance though we will still have to contribute as the min loan she will receive isn't enough to pay her rent. A friend of mine her DS has recently got an offer at a good school but doesn't offer degree. They're ineligible for support, but he has turned down being on the reserve list at a fully funded thru student loans place. They'll manage even if it's tight, but DD in that position we would have had to say she couldn't take the offer and would have to hope she came off the reserve list.
You are right there are many MT degree courses out there, but not all of them are eligible for spotlight listing.
From what I remember to be eligible for spotlight it needs to be 30 contact hours per week taught in classes of 20 or less.
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

mrs_lovett wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:39 pm Well done lawn's dd! Although it was for MT, my dd loved the vibe of Conti, very relaxed in the interview but the dance call was intense which is what she wanted. All the students were very welcoming and she felt a great atmosphere throughout her recall. The centre in Woking is obviously brand new, in the middle of a new shopping centre which may seem a bit weird but handy for lunch and lots of great restaurants/pubs near by. Really easy for the station. My concern was the lack of student housing in Woking, but there's loads in Guildford and it's so close to the station so would be easy. She says she would be more than happy there though we're still trying to get the money together for GSA! Best of luck to you and your dd for the decision making process!
Having sorted accommodation at Conti for September I would take a close look at costs. We have found it is cheaper to find a friend and rent a flat in Woking than student accommodation due to Conti’s dates in 22/23 requiring a 49 week halls contract. I know there has been lots of making of friends in the Insta group for this purpose.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Elle’smom wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:15 pm
Having sorted accommodation at Conti for September I would take a close look at costs. We have found it is cheaper to find a friend and rent a flat in Woking than student accommodation due to Conti’s dates in 22/23 requiring a 49 week halls contract. I know there has been lots of making of friends in the Insta group for this purpose.
Did you find halls in Woking or did you have to look at Guildford? I've looked at IC dates, they're from early Sept to about 3rd week in July. Understand the pain of paying for halls for weeks not needed, currently doing that with both kids, daughter's course in Scotland finished in March but because she got a last minute offer we needed to find accommodation quick, so the shortest halls contract was till mid July and student son finished his degree last week and because council tax has already caught up with him, now he no longer has student status he's leaving his accommodation next month though it's paid for till end of August.
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

lawn wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:21 pm
Did you find halls in Woking or did you have to look at Guildford? I've looked at IC dates, they're from early Sept to about 3rd week in July. Understand the pain of paying for halls for weeks not needed, currently doing that with both kids, daughter's course in Scotland finished in March but because she got a last minute offer we needed to find accommodation quick, so the shortest halls contract was till mid July and student son finished his degree last week and because council tax has already caught up with him, now he no longer has student status he's leaving his accommodation next month though it's paid for till end of August.
There are halls in Guildford that have made an arrangement with Conti regarding a shuttle bus they were going to be £9261 for a 49 week contract. 2 bed flat in Woking 5 mins walk from Conti £7800 per person for 12 month contract, yes there will be bills, but no transport costs.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Elle’smom wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:48 pm
lawn wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:21 pm

There are halls in Guildford that have made an arrangement with Conti regarding a shuttle bus they were going to be £9261 for a 49 week contract. 2 bed flat in Woking 5 mins walk from Conti £7800 per person for 12 month contract, yes there will be bills, but no transport costs.
Ahhh ok. How much were they charging for the bus do you remember?
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

I don’t remember how much for the bus, but inevitably several times a week travel I certain would not fit around the bus.
Plus DD has relied on trains to get her to college for the last two years and she decided she would rather take her chances with shanks pony at least for this first year.
Pinkstargazer12
BRIT Award

Post by Pinkstargazer12 »

Elle’smom wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:22 pm I don’t remember how much for the bus, but inevitably several times a week travel I certain would not fit around the bus.
Plus DD has relied on trains to get her to college for the last two years and she decided she would rather take her chances with shanks pony at least for this first year.
My daughter is starting on the MT degree at Conti in September. We've signed her up for the halls in Guildford, they are expensive but she's keen to live there for first year to meet people from other courses, not just MT. I believe the halls are now offering the option of a free bus pass, worth over £1000 as there are too many Conti students to accommodate a mini bus.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

That’s borderline central London prices, and I’m presuming as Woking is outside the M25 you don’t get the London maintenance loan rate? IC is another my dd was interested in auditioning at next year but the living costs are really putting me off!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:26 am That’s borderline central London prices, and I’m presuming as Woking is outside the M25 you don’t get the London maintenance loan rate? IC is another my dd was interested in auditioning at next year but the living costs are really putting me off!
I've been thinking same thing. We paid £7k for last minute private halls in Edinburgh 42 week contract, inc bills and I thought that towards the top end of expensive. No transport costs as college was next door - though that was chance! No you won't get London allowance for Woking
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

Sadly no London maintenance as it’s just outside the M25 I have to say I wasn’t surprised as I love 40 miles west in a market town and rent is only a fraction cheaper.
I had in fact thought it might be a bit more. Now her academic course is finished she is frantically working many hours in two jobs to save money.
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

Pinkstargazer12 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:40 am
Elle’smom wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:22 pm I don’t remember how much for the bus, but inevitably several times a week travel I certain would not fit around the bus.
My daughter is starting on the MT degree at Conti in September. We've signed her up for the halls in Guildford, they are expensive but she's keen to live there for first year to meet people from other courses, not just MT. I believe the halls are now offering the option of a free bus pass, worth over £1000 as there are too many Conti students to accommodate a mini bus.
Son just finishing y1 Conti in Guildford in halls & the shuttle bus has been free all year which was a great addition (they did this to Guildford site but looks like the bus pass may be a new thing from previous comment) Glad he did halls but he’s keen to be in his student house next year…bigger room!! Many of the current Guildford students are choosing to rent in Guildford & travel this year but they may change their mind next year.
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

Amf wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:58 pm
Son just finishing y1 Conti in Guildford in halls & the shuttle bus has been free all year which was a great addition (they did this to Guildford site but looks like the bus pass may be a new thing from previous comment) Glad he did halls but he’s keen to be in his student house next year…bigger room!! Many of the current Guildford students are choosing to rent in Guildford & travel from September 22 but they may change their mind next year, Sept 23.
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

Amf wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:59 pm
Amf wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:58 pm

Son just finishing y1 Conti in Guildford in halls & the shuttle bus has been free all year which was a great addition (they did this to Guildford site but looks like the bus pass may be a new thing from previous comment) Glad he did halls but he’s keen to be in his student house next year…bigger room!! Many of the current Guildford students are choosing to rent in Guildford & travel from September 22 but they may change their mind next year, Sept 23. I guess they like Guildford in the evening 🥃😉
Redwire
Nominee

Post by Redwire »

Oh my goodness - what to do?! I know most of you here are MT, but I posted a couple of weeks back that my son had been offered a place at LIPA for BA Acting. He’s just finishing school and has never really done auditions before other than for community theatre. Needless to say he was thrilled to bits with an offer from LIPA.
He auditioned back in January for Royal Birmingham Conservatoire - they said they wouldn’t make decisions until they’d finished their audition workshops at the end of May, but he didn’t really have any expectations as it was his first audition day.
Anyway, their auditions finished on Thursday.
We were up in Liverpool yesterday having a look around his accommodation… and then Birmingham emailed to say they’re offering him a place as well! Obviously we’re thrilled to bits, but totally confused now - LIPA was probably his top choice, but he loved Birmingham too - no idea how to decide… We’ve already paid the deposit on his Liverpool accommodation, but wouldn’t lose too much if we cancelled. We’re so new to all of this - I have no idea how to help him decide between two drama schools that both look to be really good! Help!!