Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by lawn »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:55 pm Bit of advice needed if poss please. Just booked dd on GSA open day (can’t believe I’m starting this all over again) and wondered how long to give us to look round? Oldest dd’s open days were more or less full days with classes etc but GSA (as it’s part of a ‘normal’ Uni) doesn’t look like it runs the same way, we’ve booked the meeting for 2.30pm which says lasts 50mins but just wondered if anyone knew how much more we’d have to look round.
Also, any other suggestions of less ‘dancey’ colleges? Dd still wants to do musical theatre but wants a more even split between singing/dancing/acting. Eldest dd is at Wilkes which youngest dd has decided is too ‘dancey’ for her, she is a very good dancer but it’s her least favourite of the 3.
Any advice is appreciated thanks.
Has she considered Trinity Laban? We attended an open day there in Dec 19. One of the students said she'd done no formal dancing qualifications before starting there and we know another who is also far more singer/actor who has graduated from there and was recently in Heathers as understudy for one of the main characters.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

She hasn’t so we’ll have a look into that one, thankyou.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:55 pm Bit of advice needed if poss please. Just booked dd on GSA open day (can’t believe I’m starting this all over again) and wondered how long to give us to look round? Oldest dd’s open days were more or less full days with classes etc but GSA (as it’s part of a ‘normal’ Uni) doesn’t look like it runs the same way, we’ve booked the meeting for 2.30pm which says lasts 50mins but just wondered if anyone knew how much more we’d have to look round.
Also, any other suggestions of less ‘dancey’ colleges? Dd still wants to do musical theatre but wants a more even split between singing/dancing/acting. Eldest dd is at Wilkes which youngest dd has decided is too ‘dancey’ for her, she is a very good dancer but it’s her least favourite of the 3.
Mine is helping at the open day,I'll ask her what's involved.
This also might be of interest
https://gsauk.org/courses/summer-conservatoire
Also https://www.cdmt.org.uk/
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

lotsolaffs wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:34 am
That would be amazing thankyou. If your dd is already at GSA, would she say it is less dancey than say Performers, Wilkes, Bird etc? As I said, my dd is a really good dancer, she just doesn’t want to spend 80% of her time dancing,
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:13 am
lotsolaffs wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:34 am
That would be amazing thankyou. If your dd is already at GSA, would she say it is less dancey than say Performers, Wilkes, Bird etc? As I said, my dd is a really good dancer, she just doesn’t want to spend 80% of her time dancing,
They apparently do a tour of the GSA building, Ivy Arts Theatre and some of the campus - which is amazing and there is a Q&A session but she isn't sure who is doing that at what times, she thinks she is doing some.
Dance is a 2hr lesson each day with dance in MT projects and song and dance too. She wasn't a dance lover, started lessons when she was 12, had to work very hard and only really did it as she felt she had to.
She thinks the dance teaching is really good - she did a Level 3 BTEC 6th form previously and she can see the difference is quality not quantity, she is in top sets now and loves it.
It is less dancey - but they study all genres of dance including Latin and ballroom and there are extra curricular classes too.
Hope this helps, she didn't want to go to the open day incase she liked it too much!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Thanks lotsolaffs, dd does love the sound of GSA, the rent/maintenance loan scenario worries me a bit but we’ll have to cross that bridge if/when she comes to it.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:01 pm Thanks lotsolaffs, dd does love the sound of GSA, the rent/maintenance loan scenario worries me a bit but we’ll have to cross that bridge if/when she comes to it.
As GSA is part of the University of Surrey, the first year she'd be able to stay in Uni halls. They have a lot more reasonable starting price and the contract isn't for as long as private halls/rentals usually are. I believe some of the accommodation that's further out requires a bus but this is subsidised. https://www.surrey.ac.uk/sites/default/ ... -22-23.pdf
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

lawn wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:21 pm
MygirlsloveMT wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:01 pm Thanks lotsolaffs, dd does love the sound of GSA, the rent/maintenance loan scenario worries me a bit but we’ll have to cross that bridge if/when she comes to it.
As GSA is part of the University of Surrey, the first year she'd be able to stay in Uni halls. They have a lot more reasonable starting price and the contract isn't for as long as private halls/rentals usually are. I believe some of the accommodation that's further out requires a bus but this is subsidised. https://www.surrey.ac.uk/sites/default/ ... -22-23.pdf
Mine paid £97 per week, really good value, depends if your's is happy to share a shower, there were two on her floor and only 4 students in her flat of 6.

Lawn have you got accommodation sorted?
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

lotsolaffs wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:21 am
lawn wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:21 pm
Mine paid £97 per week, really good value, depends if your's is happy to share a shower, there were two on her floor and only 4 students in her flat of 6.

Lawn have you got accommodation sorted?
Not applied yet but because where she's going is also part of a Uni, she also gets to go in student halls. Not the wide range of rooms to suit all budgets GSA has unfortunately as not as many courses run at her campus. We need DD to log into the portal to apply and she's currently sunning herself on a girls hol. Deadline isn't up for ages yet though.
jacsrab
BRIT Award

Post by jacsrab »

For anyone still on waiting lists or not sorted for MT training to start this year, theMTA hasn't filled all of their 22 spaces yet and will be auditioning in July and possibly August depending on availability. Auditions are free ( deposit returned on attendance). Superb 2 year training. Majority of this year who finish in September have already secured independent agent representation and some already have jobs booked!
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

jacsrab wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:56 pm For anyone still on waiting lists or not sorted for MT training to start this year, theMTA hasn't filled all of their 22 spaces yet and will be auditioning in July and possibly August depending on availability. Auditions are free ( deposit returned on attendance). Superb 2 year training. Majority of this year who finish in September have already secured independent agent representation and some already have jobs booked!
Certainly sounds like a fantastic place and the principal seems really good.
I wonder why they haven’t filled all their places ?
Is it a cost of training issue?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Possibly.

My daughter has had to leave her course which is very similar to that offered by MTA due to the cost.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

MTA always seemed a lovely school and the Principal used to post here but yes I've always thought funding attending there was an issue for many. It used to be suggested that students take a Career Development Loan to help with costs but they ceased a while back. Add in that households are facing a living and energy cost crisis and that makes it more difficult to try and find the funds for 2 years. My daughter did a 6 month privately funded foundation and we found that tough enough. Unless you can absorb some of the costs say you live close enough that child can commute easily and cheaply enough or there's a willing relative/family friend happy for them to live with cheaply, then you're looking at fee + market rent + living costs (depending on whether student can work outside of studies and earn enough to live on).
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

It’s a shame really .
I hadn’t really heard of it before my dc started at another college . It sounds amazing and if we were starting over I would encourage them to audition there
mumofshowgirl
Nominee

Post by mumofshowgirl »

Hi,
Does anyone have any experience with Drama Studio London in Grange Court London W5. My dd has been offered a place on the 1 year course in Acting and wondered how their training is and their productions as well as any work opportunities after the training. Do they easily get agent representation?