AGENCY REPRESENTATION AT COLLEGE

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

AGENCY REPRESENTATION AT COLLEGE

Post by dancelifemum »

Hi

My daughter has an agent/ spotlight etc....however we are led to believe that she cannot maintain that and will instead have to sign to the college agency for the 3 years. Is that the same for all/most MT places or do some allow/encourage outside work? It is not a deal breaker and they have said she can most likely re-sign with her agency after college if she wants to but I have noticed some students working during their course and wondered if the arrangement is different at some colleges? It looks as if Urdang do allow it? Although I thought they had their own agency. Maybe it depends on the type of job and how much time would be needed off studies.
bro1234
BRIT Award

Re: AGENCY REPRESENTATION AT COLLEGE

Post by bro1234 »

Most/all colleges I would imagine would say this. They want their students to fully train with them and take no time off/or least possible. My daughter also had to give up her agent (bird). Some jobs they can get through the college in 2nd and 3rd years
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

My daughter’s college do not have their own agency but any work gained whether performing or not must not ordinarily affect college hours.

Permission to miss class must he sought and would not be given lightly. In previous years some students were allowed to miss the very end of the Christmas term for panto.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

My dd kept her agent while at The Hammond and finished with them last summer ready to look for a different agent and to be on spotlight.The school were happy as long as it didn’t interfere with lessons.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

ok as I have noticed one college has some students working in west end shows...and Urdang has had dancers working on fashion week with Dane Bates Collective so I was curious why some seem to work yet others don't.....I know some arrange panto contracts but these are definitely outside arrangements so maybe those colleges are ok with it.
evie03
Nominee

Post by evie03 »

Most colleges don't like their students to work professionally whilst in training as they would be using the school's name (in programmes, etc) without completing the full 3 years of training (from what I've heard). Obviously school's want their reputation to be good so wouldn't want their name to be used if the person isn't fully trained yet. However a lot of schools have in-house agencies for 3rd years, and I know that Laine lets students audition for panto in 2nd year as well.
Stayingcalm
BRIT Award

Post by Stayingcalm »

Some colleges allow students to perform in an unpaid capacity for professional productions (eg fashion show) as part of their training.