3rd year support

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

3rd year support

Post by Itsastrangeworld »

Hi all, Are your Colleges prioritising 3rd years? On return in March my DD and fellow 3rd years were told they'd be the priority but there are no plans for the end of year show (no showcase) and still no solid plans for graduation. This means they only had one end of year show experience as first years so unless they were top 3 in the year they hardly featured. I've seen that Performers and Bird have 3rd year final shows, are all others? Is there other support happening i.e. auditions (not just mock), agency meetings etc?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: 3rd year support

Post by islandofsodor »

Hammond Diploma students are currently preparing for Agent Showcase. They are doing a livestream Agent's Day this week and there are plans for a performance with audience next month. They won't get the London showcase unfortunately and there won't be a full musical or dance show. However they did manage to get both in last year just before lockdown.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

I think I know the college you’re discussing as my daughter is in first year. Odd thing is that before they went back in March they were told there would definitely be a show, might not be able to have parents there but they’d definitely have a show. Since their return it has gone quiet to the point where dd asked about it a couple of weeks ago and the course leader said he’d find out, they’ve heard nothing and the theatre it’s usually in is booked up all of June and July!
Now my dd is only in first year and like you said, they don’t appear much in the annual show (dd is NOT one of their ‘favoured’ students) so it’s not too much of a hardship for her but I can really see why you would be concerned, as I would if she was in third year.
She was only in college 2 days a week until this week, the rest was on zoom and college days were shorter but they did say this was because they were prioritising 3rd years. Such a strange situation because they are, and always have been, so amazing with everything else.
Let’s hope it’s just poor communication and they hear something soon x
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

Itsastrangeworld wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:52 am Hi all, Are your Colleges prioritising 3rd years? On return in March my DD and fellow 3rd years were told they'd be the priority but there are no plans for the end of year show (no showcase) and still no solid plans for graduation. This means they only had one end of year show experience as first years so unless they were top 3 in the year they hardly featured. I've seen that Performers and Bird have 3rd year final shows, are all others? Is there other support happening i.e. auditions (not just mock), agency meetings etc?
From what I know via current students at some colleges:

Laine will get a 'graduation' ball or something....but no end year show
Bird have filmed end year shows for potential agency rep
Performers are also doing shows for potential agency rep
Urdang also doing show reels etc...
Stayingcalm
BRIT Award

Post by Stayingcalm »

Urdang have livestreamed 8 shows made up of 3 shows and multiple casts. They are currently working towards an agent showcase.
Tring, where my DD is currently at and doing GCSEs will be both livestreaming a final show as well as a possible limited audience live performance. I believe the older leavers will be doing the same.
Fingers crossed your college has something planned as well as it would be very unfair to not even keep you informed.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I asked my DD this, as really they should be.
GSA have had 3 shows - Titanic, Secret Garden and The Wild Party which have been streamed for free. Two /three showings of each.They are also doing Twelfth Night but this is an outdoor paid performance and I think they had something else?
There is also an agents showcase but not sure if that's online or live.
I wish all grads wherever they are success, it must be tough.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Well LOADS of agents attended the online showcase. Maybe that is one advantage to things being online.

The disadvantage is that several said they probably won't be taking many on this year unless they find something really specific. Dd has been approached by an agency that seems to do more in commercials, modelling & TV. One of the strongest dancers in the year has had several approaches and other dancers have had the odd approach too. I haven't heard about the rest of the MT students.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Bird have had full shows but with tickets limited to 2 per student. And flipping amazing too. 😁 Shame our other children couldn't come along too but it was fantastic to see the professional standard. We were blown away. They've had agents along with some students getting agents although obviously things are not as they used to be.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Hammonds graduate show was supposed to be tonight but someone tested positive earlier in the week so everyone is sadly isolating. The teachers have offered to come in on the Saturday after isolation ends so they can at least perform.

Dd had two agent offers and has now signed with one. It looks like most of the students have now had agent offers, just the odd one or two without now. Hopefully they may get some interest soon.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

PPA have their shows in theatre plus are live streamed. Their acting course show was sent in advance to agents online and they were signed up from it. How much work is available currently though is anyone's guess
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

This is so important for them all so such a shame if they don't get the support at the very end of their 3 years of hard work.
Hopefully they all get to showcase their talent somehow and get the help and representation to take them to the next step.

I think 'housekeeping' side of this profession is sadly overlooked by some colleges as they hopefully should spend some time preparing the students for the next step and how to manage that process of being out there on your own and what that entails/means. I think it is a question I too didn't ask enough when we did various open days.....
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

As currently around 9 of the graduate year are covid positive (including my daughter) the show will unfortunately not go on.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

islandofsodor wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:58 pm As currently around 9 of the graduate year are covid positive (including my daughter) the show will unfortunately not go on.
Ah that's such a shame for them all...and you.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

My daughter has just graduated from The Hammond. Sadly this whole year and a half has been a disaster and my daughter has been heartbroken how her training has gone. Not been in one musical show, no agent panel, had an online showcase. final show cancelled. They just had a short showcase at the school this week and they were all amazing. My daughter has been incredibly lucky and has graduated with a first and had already six offers for agents. One of which she has accepted happily. I know nobody could have helped Covid striking but I do feel things could have been handled better.
However as I say my daughters ending has come out so much better than we had expected and I know some of the teachers did everything they could to support them. I can only say that because of Covid I know she is so ready for this industry, I just hope she has that chance to keep growing x

I wish everyone the best xxxx
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Marissa wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:02 pm My daughter has just graduated from The Hammond. Sadly this whole year and a half has been a disaster and my daughter has been heartbroken how her training has gone. Not been in one musical show, no agent panel, had an online showcase. final show cancelled. They just had a short showcase at the school this week and they were all amazing. My daughter has been incredibly lucky and has graduated with a first and had already six offers for agents. One of which she has accepted happily. I know nobody could have helped Covid striking but I do feel things could have been handled better.
However as I say my daughters ending has come out so much better than we had expected and I know some of the teachers did everything they could to support them. I can only say that because of Covid I know she is so ready for this industry, I just hope she has that chance to keep growing x

I wish everyone the best xxxx
Gosh. I remember her getting the place. Yes, I agree training has taken such a knocking. I feel the same way about my daughter. Just finished a 2 year MT course at college and only really got the first 6 months of training. Didn't even get her last week there as the course went back online due to covid cases. Congratulations on getting her degree and an agent and good luck for the future.