Moving from Modelling to Acting

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

hove actually1
Nominee

Moving from Modelling to Acting

Post by hove actually1 »

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year all

Hello , Just looking for some advice as new to the acting side of things. My 12 year old son has modelled for a few years and is with a really good agency in that field - they are big but we are happy with the work he has had and I think he feels he has reached his ambitions in this field.

Interestingly, they have started putting him forward for some acting auditions - Mainly film roles - had about 4 come in since this August 2020. All big projects -NDAs signed. So... We thought we would just go with the flow and to our surprise he was shortlisted for one of these. A real surprise and he got some lovely feedback from the director - 'Mr Hollywood'. So we had lots of fun doing it and suddenly my son is now really motivated and wants to do more screen acting.

And so now I'm slightly torn - on the one hand I'm thinking that the agency has done so well to put him forward for such high profile work and maybe we should just continue with them as they are actively putting him forward and he is being selected to audition but...at the same time I wonder if a dedicated acting agency might somehow offer him better representation? I guess I'm thinking that he is new to this - and an acting agency might might concentrate more on developing talent: building a career?

thank you for any suggestions here
Pandora II
GRAMMY Award

Re: Moving from Modelling to Acting

Post by Pandora II »

If he's getting castings like that then I would stay.

My DD has been with an acting agency from the start and has theatre and screen credits. Agent and I have a rough plan of sorts, but it's down to me to find the right training, and we only get castings if she is picked from the submissions.

If your agency is currently set up for Spotlight submissions then I can't see what extra you will get at this point. You also risk ending up in an agency with internal competition with kids of a similar type with strong cvs.

There are some agencies that have training attached. Personally I like to hand pick who DD trains with, and not be tied into using who any particular school goes with.
Shenks
Nominee

Post by Shenks »

Agree with Pandora II. Your current agency seems to be able and willing to submit your kid for work (I assume they asked first and he isn't the only one they have ever done this for!), and on the limited info it seems good work. You should be able to talk to them about training and mapping out how to build a career - or at least point you in the right direction to someone who can.

Couple of other things to throw in the mix.
Speaking with my DCs agent, it seems that a few agencies have gone under and they have seen a consequent increase in applications for representation as a result (40 a week I was quoted). Just getting a hearing may be difficult, or will take time. They are focusing on existing clients, I suspect they will not be alone.

Also in terms of setting your son's expectations you may want to consider the following.
The number of roles available for 12-16 year olds are fewer generally than under 12. A lot will depend on how small and young looking your son is at the moment, and unfortunately this will inevitably change:-) Though there will always be always opportunities available, it is a fact that many teen roles available are performed by young adults who look very young, or come from the performing arts schools.(licensing/training/experience all play into this)

Also, as anyone involved with Equity will already know, Brexit unfortunately will mean a reduction in opportunities across the board for UK only passport holders. At least 25% of UK CD sourced roles (Ad/TV/Film) were shot in the EU last year (pre COVID) and the new deal as expected does not cover working visas for creative industries. The Prince William casting in Germany that hit the papers last month is unfortunately just the tip of the iceberg for both kids and adults. Of course the opposite is true if you have an EU passport, 25% of jobs from a narrower pool after 1st Jan if this work doesn't go elsewhere:-)

Good luck with whatever you decide and hopefully the opportunities keep coming for him.
hove actually1
Nominee

Post by hove actually1 »

Thank you so much for your replies. That really helps!
lots of food for thought there.
And yes, perhaps I should be grateful for the fact they are putting him forward (along with others from the agency) and that the casting directors are asking for submissions from him.
I didn't read the "prince William' article - but my son did audition for that part - the film Spencer - if thats the one you are referring to.
And son unfortunately looks older - 5 ft 5. Which can also be a problem with modelling - we have been sent home from Next because they didn't have big enough clothes!! but.. we got paid!

Thank you again!