Urdang AVT 2021

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

VB48
Nominee

Urdang AVT 2021

Post by VB48 »

Has anyone’s DD/DS applied for the AVT at Urdang for 2021?
Stayingcalm
BRIT Award

Re: Urdang AVT 2021

Post by Stayingcalm »

This is a very late reply but my daughter has a place on the AVT for Sept 21. Shes very excited but still has many questions. Would love to hear from anyone else who has got a place.
2littledancers
BRIT Award

Post by 2littledancers »

My daughter is currently in the 1st year of AVT . She’s loving it . Any questions , please feel free to ask.
Stayingcalm
BRIT Award

Post by Stayingcalm »

Hi 2littledancers
Thats great to hear, thanks for replying. I guess my main question is how many contact hours but Im guessing this has not been a great year to assess that? Also, are the students taught by the same teachers as the diploma /degree or is it run like a separate faculty? We went to see Urdang yesterday (from the outside) and my daughter Ioved the feel of the location 😊
2littledancers
BRIT Award

Post by 2littledancers »

The contact hours are great and have been throughout this past horrendous year . They have been back in the studio at the earliest opportunity every time ii’s been available . But also when home learning was a must , there was a full timetable on zoom .

The contact hours have been 25 . The teachers are the same throughout the college , the ballet teachers teach on all courses , as do Jazz . I think the Tap teacher teaches foundation and AVT , so they all vary . The curriculum involves Ballet , Jazz , Tap , Street , contemporary, singing , acting through song , acting , singing tech , performance plus 3 academic lessons per week ( I’ve probably missed something off )

They also make use of all the 3 Urdang premises , which is nice .

The course can be tiring , DD has been known to leave the house at 6.45 am , and some nights not walk in the front door till 8.30 pm . But she is loving it . She loved school and did very well
In her GCSE’s but can’t imagine her now doing academic A levels . She is so happy here and made some lovely friends
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

For those DC that are doing the AVT course, did they do any summer courses, etc at Urdang beforehand?
2littledancers
BRIT Award

Post by 2littledancers »

My Dd had previously attended Urdang Summer school and the pre audition course . She also was an Urdang accelerate member and later an associate .
Definitely gave her a flavour and a love for the school .
Stayingcalm
BRIT Award

Post by Stayingcalm »

2littledancers, thank you so much for the info. Its been tricky this year to get a full perspective on things due to not attending the school in person. I feel reassured by your daughters great experience despite the difficulties of the pandemic. It sounds perfect for my DD.
Stayingcalm
BRIT Award

Post by Stayingcalm »

Hilltop, my DD decided not to do the summer course this year as it was online. She did join the online open day though.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Just wanted to share a thought about AVT. Friend whose dd is on AVT currently messaged last night as there's been a lot of upset. She said only two AVT students have been offered the degree, a couple diploma and a few waiting list. Her dd is devastated. No offer at all - despite getting Laine and Performers. I would certainly ask how many move onto their own Level 6 courses. It would appear they prefer people from their Foundation Course...This is only what I've heard from one very upset family.
Gibbo68
Nominee

Post by Gibbo68 »

My DD completed the Urdang AVT last year and initially was disappointed not to be offered a degree place, she loved her time there. From what we’ve seen Urdang does seem to be moving more toward strong actor/singers. Like many others , being a strong dancer she was offered a place at every other college she applied for. So, although Urdang may not be the place they end up doing degree/diploma there’s no doubt it’s a fantastic foundation that opens doors to the next stage of training. 😊
Stayingcalm
BRIT Award

Post by Stayingcalm »

It makes sense for Urdang to want strong actor singers. Their final shows are only as good as their triple threat performers. No amount of great production value and brilliant dancing can mask a weak/off pitch voice. And no amount of training will magically produce this particular gift. It’s down to selection and I’m reassured that the school is less about offering favour places than they are about getting the finest talent to improve their reputation.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

amo185 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:11 pm Just wanted to share a thought about AVT. Friend whose dd is on AVT currently messaged last night as there's been a lot of upset. She said only two AVT students have been offered the degree, a couple diploma and a few waiting list. Her dd is devastated. No offer at all - despite getting Laine and Performers. I would certainly ask how many move onto their own Level 6 courses. It would appear they prefer people from their Foundation Course...This is only what I've heard from one very upset family.
I have heard similar as they don't let their AVT or foundation students audition for the degree/diploma courses until after everyone else so it is quite late on. The reason given was so they are still there to attend show rehearsals as in previous years those that didn't gain places were less inclined to show up and continue with rehearsals. I under stand both points of view...dissapointed students losing motivation and also the college trying to maintain numbers for end of year showcase.
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Urdang have openly said this year that they are looking for strong singers.
We know of 4 people who have a straight yes. 2 are true triple threat and 2 are brilliant singers with very little dance training.
All the dancers we know who applied either got a recall or a straight no.
I suppose it confirms that each of the colleges are looking for slightly different things
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Grace03 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:33 am Urdang have openly said this year that they are looking for strong singers.
We know of 4 people who have a straight yes. 2 are true triple threat and 2 are brilliant singers with very little dance training.
All the dancers we know who applied either got a recall or a straight no.
I suppose it confirms that each of the colleges are looking for slightly different things
Very, very interesting. I’m wondering if the move to give straight offers to strong singers first is a strategic one. Mainly Urdang has been known for their dancing so they potentially lose out on the best singers to other colleges if they offer to dancers mainly at the start. By choosing the singers first they potentially increase the number of acceptances. Then by leaving the majority of the dancers to recalls, they then will have best of both. As lots of dancers who want to go to Urdang will hold out on making a decision on where to go until they’ve had an answer from them. Who knows?