Performing arts 6th form colleges

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Performing arts 6th form colleges

Post by islandofsodor »

It's important to remember that the exact number of UCAS points you will get from the OCR diploma at Urdang depends on what grades you achieve.

112 UCAS points is the maximum you can get if you achieve D*D*

If you were, for example to gain DD that would be 96 points.
2littledancers
BRIT Award

Post by 2littledancers »

Exactly right , as any other qualification, A levels etc .
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Hi, my DS is currently in lower 6th at Arts Ed, doing the Level 3 extended diploma MT Btec and A Levels in Drama and History so will have the UCAS equivalent of 5 A Levels. He also had a place at Emil Dale which looks amazing and he loved it but he wants to keep his academic options open and wasn't ready to give up History yet! Going to Arts Ed was a big commitment for us as he has to live away from home but seeing and hearing about how happy he is has made it so worth it. He is blown away by the standard of the other students and gets to live his dream every day! For him, just having other boys who love MT with him every day has done wonders for his confidence. I would highly highly recommend looking at both Emil Dale and Arts Ed-both have something very different to offer. Although he has a lot to balance it's way easier than spending his evenings and weekends going back and forth to different dance lessons/training which he's been doing for years. Feel free to DM me, believe me we agonised about where he would go for 6th form for ages but it really came down to keeping his university options open whilst getting high quality MT training which was very important to him.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

A lot probably depends on whether you are in the position to pay fees or not.

My dd really wanted to apply to Arts Ed to combine the MT Btec and A levels but it was way out of our reach financially. She did get offered 10% scholarship at another school that offered vocational performing arts training alongside A levels but 10% was not enough. Luckily for us it turned out as the school closed suddenly after a year.

She instead went to Hammond on a Dada (is still there) combining the 3 year MT diploma with A levels in English Lit & RS/Philosophy gaining A* A.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Hilltop wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:25 am
jasmine2 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:35 pm Bodyworks in Cambridge is also worth a look..loads of contact hours and very hard work. Good luck :D
Thanks, on the website it says only 16 hours contact time, is this right?
Oh i don't know.. maybe give them a ring? Gooduck with whatever you decide x
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Gibbo68
Nominee

Post by Gibbo68 »

Yes, true that 112 is d*d* but also that many set the requirement lower. Also from those we spoke to including Performers, Bird and LSC it’s mainly down to audition, entry requirements are a guide.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

My DS just started in 6th form at EDA. He is SO happy, absolutely loving it, just keeps saying it’s all so much fun and all the teachers are just lovely. He’s legs are so sore from all the dance classes (not a dancer) and even that he says is great as he says it just shows he’s working hard.
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

Hilltop wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:24 am
tracyelwell wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:21 pm My daughter has just started at Wilkes Academy of Performing Arts. She received a full scholarship and loves it. She is 16 and is studying the BTEC Level 3 Extended in Performing Arts incorporated with professional training and its over 3 years.

She auditioned for all the top Schools and was offered a place at all the Schools including Urdang (didn't like it though), Bird, Stella Mann, Laines, Performers and Italia Conti, but Wilkes was her top choice and the last audition she did and although she has left home and is living in dorms she is so happy and is loving the training, which is tough!

It was a big decision as she has moved nearly 2 hours away, but we went to see her today and couldn't be prouder, she cooks all her meals from scratch (she has always hated microwave meals) and she unbelievably happy.

Wilkes have housing they use which are like dorms which have single and double rooms for the first year with a house mother, then 2nd year they have share homes and for the 3rd year they encourage you to find your own accommodation.

Highly recommend the Academy and the staff and facilities are amazing with a great ethos and they work with some amazing teachers on a daily basis, i.e. Dane Bates, Sam Salter, Ricky Jinks etc
Thanks, I have looked at Wilkes but was confused by this course. We’re looking for A levels equivalents as the 6th form/degree route works best for us financially rather than the 3 year diploma, plus it also gives her other options (ie university on a different course) and I’m not sure she’ll be ready for diploma level at 16. Is this Wilkes course equivalent to the 3-year diploma? Does it lead to further training ie degree or is it considered final training?
The training is over 3 years which is professional training but for the first 2 years they study Level 3 BTEC Extended in Performing Arts which is 3 A Levels. I was confused as on the structure and I spoke to one of the Principals (Suzanne) and she explained that at the end of the 3 years they are fully trained but alot of the students still stay on or go on and do a degree. My daughter wants to go to the US to study at either Juilliard/NYU or UCLA so she is going on to more training.
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

My dd went to The Big Act in Bristol: http://www.thebigact.com/

It was a few years ago for her now and she did their one year Foundation course. Since then they now offer a variety of different courses at age 16+ and 18+ and have tutors from the top colleges and West End.
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

My Daughter has just started at Read in Reading. I have been really impressed with both the quality of the training and the pastoral care. Before half-term my daughter was tired, tearful and also a bit angry at home.
I phoned and chatted to one of the directors who had also noticed that she was struggling, they checked in with my daughter and reassured her that it was okay to have a time when you struggle. Supported her got her back on track.
Read have gone for social distancing rather than bubbles ( possible due to their small size) and are fully back in the studios. They have rejigged the timetable to cover more academic units this year ( for first years) so that they have more time for physical theatre and ensemble singing next year when hopefully such things will be allowed.
We looked at Read, Emil Dale, Arts1, Arts Ed, ICTT and Italia conti. Read was always my daughters favourite and she is very happy there. Read has access to the arts fund to help with fees.
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

Elle’smom wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:31 am My Daughter has just started at Read in Reading. I have been really impressed with both the quality of the training and the pastoral care. Before half-term my daughter was tired, tearful and also a bit angry at home.
I phoned and chatted to one of the directors who had also noticed that she was struggling, they checked in with my daughter and reassured her that it was okay to have a time when you struggle. Supported her got her back on track.
Read have gone for social distancing rather than bubbles ( possible due to their small size) and are fully back in the studios. They have rejigged the timetable to cover more academic units this year ( for first years) so that they have more time for physical theatre and ensemble singing next year when hopefully such things will be allowed.
We looked at Read, Emil Dale, Arts1, Arts Ed, ICTT and Italia conti. Read was always my daughters favourite and she is very happy there. Read has access to the arts fund to help with fees.
Hi, what does ICTT stand for?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I think its meant to be ICTheatre in Brighton formerly known as BRICTT
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

islandofsodor wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:13 pm I think its meant to be ICTheatre in Brighton formerly known as BRICTT
Thanks
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Post by mouskouri41 »

Can anyone advise on the MT BTEC at LCPA ?(London College of Performing Arts)
Shabby
BRIT Award

Post by Shabby »

I second EDA, excellent but intense training and I’m really impressed with the student support!