Performing arts 6th form colleges

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Performing arts 6th form colleges

Post by Hilltop »

Hi, we’re looking for colleges that offer the BTEC musical theatre equivalent to 3 A levels for my DD who is currently in year 10. We have a couple of local ones that have a good reputation but want to spend the near year and half looking at a few others as well. Am open to my DD leaving home if it’s the right thing to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
musicalmummy123
Nominee

Re: Performing arts 6th form colleges

Post by musicalmummy123 »

Hi there, DS is in his second year on the musical theatre sixth form course at READ College based in Reading. 8 people on course so small class sizes and great 1-2-1 attention from teachers. 100% of their musical theatre graduates last year went on to the top drama schools with offers from ArtsEd to Urdang. He currently studies the OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma in Performing Arts equivalent to 3 A Levels so if students decide not to go onto further drama school training they can go to normal university. Have a look into it!
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

My daughter has just started at Wilkes Academy of Performing Arts. She received a full scholarship and loves it. She is 16 and is studying the BTEC Level 3 Extended in Performing Arts incorporated with professional training and its over 3 years.

She auditioned for all the top Schools and was offered a place at all the Schools including Urdang (didn't like it though), Bird, Stella Mann, Laines, Performers and Italia Conti, but Wilkes was her top choice and the last audition she did and although she has left home and is living in dorms she is so happy and is loving the training, which is tough!

It was a big decision as she has moved nearly 2 hours away, but we went to see her today and couldn't be prouder, she cooks all her meals from scratch (she has always hated microwave meals) and she unbelievably happy.

Wilkes have housing they use which are like dorms which have single and double rooms for the first year with a house mother, then 2nd year they have share homes and for the 3rd year they encourage you to find your own accommodation.

Highly recommend the Academy and the staff and facilities are amazing with a great ethos and they work with some amazing teachers on a daily basis, i.e. Dane Bates, Sam Salter, Ricky Jinks etc
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Hilltop wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:55 pm Hi, we’re looking for colleges that offer the BTEC musical theatre equivalent to 3 A levels for my DD who is currently in year 10. We have a couple of local ones that have a good reputation but want to spend the near year and half looking at a few others as well. Am open to my DD leaving home if it’s the right thing to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
I would definitely consider Emil Dale Academy
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

musicalmummy123 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:23 pm Hi there, DS is in his second year on the musical theatre sixth form course at READ College based in Reading. 8 people on course so small class sizes and great 1-2-1 attention from teachers. 100% of their musical theatre graduates last year went on to the top drama schools with offers from ArtsEd to Urdang. He currently studies the OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma in Performing Arts equivalent to 3 A Levels so if students decide not to go onto further drama school training they can go to normal university. Have a look into it!
Yes, this looks good, thanks!
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

tracyelwell wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:21 pm My daughter has just started at Wilkes Academy of Performing Arts. She received a full scholarship and loves it. She is 16 and is studying the BTEC Level 3 Extended in Performing Arts incorporated with professional training and its over 3 years.

She auditioned for all the top Schools and was offered a place at all the Schools including Urdang (didn't like it though), Bird, Stella Mann, Laines, Performers and Italia Conti, but Wilkes was her top choice and the last audition she did and although she has left home and is living in dorms she is so happy and is loving the training, which is tough!

It was a big decision as she has moved nearly 2 hours away, but we went to see her today and couldn't be prouder, she cooks all her meals from scratch (she has always hated microwave meals) and she unbelievably happy.

Wilkes have housing they use which are like dorms which have single and double rooms for the first year with a house mother, then 2nd year they have share homes and for the 3rd year they encourage you to find your own accommodation.

Highly recommend the Academy and the staff and facilities are amazing with a great ethos and they work with some amazing teachers on a daily basis, i.e. Dane Bates, Sam Salter, Ricky Jinks etc
Thanks, I have looked at Wilkes but was confused by this course. We’re looking for A levels equivalents as the 6th form/degree route works best for us financially rather than the 3 year diploma, plus it also gives her other options (ie university on a different course) and I’m not sure she’ll be ready for diploma level at 16. Is this Wilkes course equivalent to the 3-year diploma? Does it lead to further training ie degree or is it considered final training?
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

Ditzi wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:00 am
Hilltop wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:55 pm Hi, we’re looking for colleges that offer the BTEC musical theatre equivalent to 3 A levels for my DD who is currently in year 10. We have a couple of local ones that have a good reputation but want to spend the near year and half looking at a few others as well. Am open to my DD leaving home if it’s the right thing to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
I would definitely consider Emil Dale Academy
This looks great, thanks.
2littledancers
BRIT Award

Post by 2littledancers »

My daughter has started the AVT 2 year course at Urdang .It is a fully funded Level 3 Cambridge technical diploma, it carries 112 UCAS points. She absolutely loves it although very tiring. There is a mixture of commuters and ones that have moved to London on her course . They study Ballet , Jazz , Tap , Contemporary , Street , Acting , Singing Tech , Singing Rep , Acting through song and a few more that i can't recall . She gained a place here and Emil Dale although Urdang won the day on a few points.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Definitely audition for Emil Dale Academy. Two year intensive 6th form course leading to three A level equivalent extended diploma. Up to 36 hours contact per week - and all back in the studios at the moment. All the subjects you'd expect (Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Commercial, Contemporary, Ensemble Singing, Audition Tech, Performance, Acting, Monologues, Script work, Voice etc etc) Productions and projects throughout the year culminating with West End style show with West End directors and West End band. The BTEC is funded but most people pay a top up fee for the additional provision. We considered Urdang but wanted three A level equivalent. DD was also offered a place at Arts Ed in Chiswick but EDA won! Everyone can sing - and dancing is streamed. This year is trickier due to Bubbles but it's the same everywhere. DD is Advanced 2 tap, modern and ballet but this is not syllabus work and there is plenty to stretch and challenge her. Great pastoral support and care too. Highly recommend.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Bodyworks in Cambridge is also worth a look..loads of contact hours and very hard work. Good luck :D
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

2littledancers wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:32 am My daughter has started the AVT 2 year course at Urdang .It is a fully funded Level 3 Cambridge technical diploma, it carries 112 UCAS points. She absolutely loves it although very tiring. There is a mixture of commuters and ones that have moved to London on her course . They study Ballet , Jazz , Tap , Contemporary , Street , Acting , Singing Tech , Singing Rep , Acting through song and a few more that i can't recall . She gained a place here and Emil Dale although Urdang won the day on a few points.
Thanks, I didn’t know that Urdang did this access course, it looks good. Does being only 2 A level equivalent affect ability to go on to do a degree?
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

amo185 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:11 pm Definitely audition for Emil Dale Academy. Two year intensive 6th form course leading to three A level equivalent extended diploma. Up to 36 hours contact per week - and all back in the studios at the moment. All the subjects you'd expect (Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Commercial, Contemporary, Ensemble Singing, Audition Tech, Performance, Acting, Monologues, Script work, Voice etc etc) Productions and projects throughout the year culminating with West End style show with West End directors and West End band. The BTEC is funded but most people pay a top up fee for the additional provision. We considered Urdang but wanted three A level equivalent. DD was also offered a place at Arts Ed in Chiswick but EDA won! Everyone can sing - and dancing is streamed. This year is trickier due to Bubbles but it's the same everywhere. DD is Advanced 2 tap, modern and ballet but this is not syllabus work and there is plenty to stretch and challenge her. Great pastoral support and care too. Highly recommend.
Yes, Emil Dale definitely looks good!
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

jasmine2 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:35 pm Bodyworks in Cambridge is also worth a look..loads of contact hours and very hard work. Good luck :D
Thanks, on the website it says only 16 hours contact time, is this right?
Gibbo68
Nominee

Post by Gibbo68 »

Hi Hilltop, 112 UCAS points was enough for degree at all the colleges DD applied to. She did the 2year AVT at Urdang and is now at a Performers on the degree course. Hope this helps.
2littledancers
BRIT Award

Post by 2littledancers »

112 UCAS points is equivalent to B B C at A Level ( as far as google tells me ) and will certainly be enough to gain you access to a MT / Dance degree course along with a fare few other courses if they change their minds . One of the factors that my daughter chose this course was that to carry on the training at the level required to apply at 18 , she didn’t feel that she could keep up the hours of training alongside academic A levels . She was , before college dancing 18 hours plus at the local dance school plus associates scheme . She had managed to secure Adv 1 in Ballet , Modern and Tap before leaving along with excellent GCSE results , and we understood and supported her decision .