Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by anastasia79 »

islandofsodor wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:40 am My daughter has absolutely loved her first two weeks at Associated Studios. It's a small cohort but she feels everything is very industry relevant. After being at vocational dance school sine the age of 11 she finds the dance very simple but she knew that and the teachers are working hard to differentiate for her. She knew she needed teh extra singing and acting training that isn't emphasised so much at dance school. She also loves the atmosphere/ethos. It's been the best decision.
That’s so lovely to hear. After the lengthy audition process, to know she’s in a school that she loves and chose, makes it all worth it. With all the skills and technique she learnt at dance vocational school, they will be ingrained. It’s a good balance for her to now focus on her singing and acting training if that’s what she feels is best. What would she like to do after college: MT or acting/singing?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Musical theatre is her first love but ultimately she says she wants to tell stories.

She did have access to good singing teaching previously but she felt that she was a little too young to make the most of it when she was 16. She need to mature a bit and so now is getting the best out of her vocal training now she is that bit older.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Pleased she's enjoying it islandofsodor. I agree that some dance places don't give enough emphasise on the singing and acting side of things even if their course is called MT. Last year daughter rand friend auditioned somewhere that's often spoken on here positively. It turned out to be the only in-person audition they did due to covid lockdowns. Both girls are strong in acting/singing, but with dance their weakest. Once that was realised the school lost interest, not even looking up once during daughter's monologue and the singing was rushed through. The one place offered on that day was to the strongest dancer in the class...who has since gone to Bird! I felt that it had been a complete waste of money attending and wish I hadn't actually believed the place's website that claimed they were a triple threat (which obviously means all 3!) program.

But you live and learn. Daughter is now enjoying her acting foundation course at a well known drama school that she was offerred a last minute place at and turned down a degree place at a lesser known school for this opportunity.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

lawn wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:37 pm Pleased she's enjoying it islandofsodor. I agree that some dance places don't give enough emphasise on the singing and acting side of things even if their course is called MT. Last year daughter rand friend auditioned somewhere that's often spoken on here positively. It turned out to be the only in-person audition they did due to covid lockdowns. Both girls are strong in acting/singing, but with dance their weakest. Once that was realised the school lost interest, not even looking up once during daughter's monologue and the singing was rushed through. The one place offered on that day was to the strongest dancer in the class...who has since gone to Bird! I felt that it had been a complete waste of money attending and wish I hadn't actually believed the place's website that claimed they were a triple threat (which obviously means all 3!) program.

But you live and learn. Daughter is now enjoying her acting foundation course at a well known drama school that she was offerred a last minute place at and turned down a degree place at a lesser known school for this opportunity.
Sorry to hear your dd had a bad experience auditioning at this college. Could it be that they were more interested in strong dancers at that particular time? Do colleges look for different things at different times? Just curious what people think.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Ditzi wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:56 pm
lawn wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:37 pm Pleased she's enjoying it islandofsodor. I agree that some dance places don't give enough emphasise on the singing and acting side of things even if their course is called MT. Last year daughter rand friend auditioned somewhere that's often spoken on here positively. It turned out to be the only in-person audition they did due to covid lockdowns. Both girls are strong in acting/singing, but with dance their weakest. Once that was realised the school lost interest, not even looking up once during daughter's monologue and the singing was rushed through. The one place offered on that day was to the strongest dancer in the class...who has since gone to Bird! I felt that it had been a complete waste of money attending and wish I hadn't actually believed the place's website that claimed they were a triple threat (which obviously means all 3!) program.

Sorry to hear your dd had a bad experience auditioning at this college. Could it be that they were more interested in strong dancers at that particular time? Do colleges look for different things at different times? Just curious what people think.
Certainly I've read before that places are casting for their final year show when auditioning. This was quite early on in the audition season though (hence it was the only in-person audition the girls did, they went for an early bird offer due to other girls household finances). Later I did hear that many of the places they offered to, those people went elsewhere anyway. Wonder how many they actually missed out on. It was more my issue with wasting my money though which was based on my believing what the school's website claimed about what they looked for. No way would I have ever sent daughter to audition at say Bird or Laine. It was a learning curve certainly.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Like Ditzi, I’m sorry that it wasn’t a positive experience for her. It’s a real shame. As I’ve heard said here by different people over the past year, they all do end up where they should. I’m pleased she’s happy. I did find in our auditioning process last year that each school does have that thing that they are looking for. Some definitely want stronger dancers, others want primarily MT and others actor/singers.
Elysée69
BRIT Award

Post by Elysée69 »

Hello. I hope everyone is happy at their chosen destinations.

Looking for a bit of advice...

Chester House - anyone able to give up to date views on it for Urdang students? Travel time, social side, food etc

Also is anyone able to send a copy of Urdang uniform so I can start buying.

Any information from current Urdang parents much appreciated.

Thank you
stageybekah
Nominee

Post by stageybekah »

Elysée69 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:46 am Hello. I hope everyone is happy at their chosen destinations.

Chester House - anyone able to give up to date views on it for Urdang students? Travel time, social side, food etc

Thank you
This is the 2021 thread- might want to ask this in the 2022 thread :)
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Elysée69 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:46 am Hello. I hope everyone is happy at their chosen destinations.

Thank you
Hiya, I’m happy to send you the current uniform list, my DD is a first year. It’s a file that will need to be attached so it might be best via PM. Send me a PM and I’ll get it to you.
Elysée69
BRIT Award

Post by Elysée69 »

Thank you so much. Pm sent
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Elysée69 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:02 am Thank you so much. Pm sent
You're welcome. Reply sent.