Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by dancelifemum »

anastasia79 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:57 pm
icantdance wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:29 pm How did all your DCs get on with their A level results? My DS was fine - no surprises and definitely into Bird. I hope you've all had good days and that all your DC's places have been confirmed :D
Fab!!! DD did well and is all sorted and off to Urdang on the degree programme. A few weeks ago she was given the option to switch from a funded diploma place to the degree. All uniform has now been bought except the T-shirt which were unavailable before today. Roll on 31st August when she starts. What journey they’ve all had.
That's excellent news - good luck!

Sadly we have heard of a couple that have had the reverse and didn't make enough ucas points for the degree and are now being asked to consider the diploma - this obv causes massive funding issues if you had student finance in place and really wanted the degree option. The alternative is they have to re-audition for next year!
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

dancelifemum wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:34 am
anastasia79 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:57 pm
icantdance wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:29 pm How did all your DCs get on with their A level results? My DS was fine - no surprises and definitely into Bird. I hope you've all had good days and that all your DC's places have been confirmed :D
Fab!!! DD did well and is all sorted and off to Urdang on the degree programme. A few weeks ago she was given the option to switch from a funded diploma place to the degree. All uniform has now been bought except the T-shirt which were unavailable before today. Roll on 31st August when she starts. What journey they’ve all had.
That's excellent news - good luck!

Sadly we have heard of a couple that have had the reverse and didn't make enough ucas points for the degree and are now being asked to consider the diploma - this obv causes massive funding issues if you had student finance in place and really wanted the degree option. The alternative is they have to re-audition for next year!
Thank you! Yes, DD mentioned on Tuesday when results came out there were a few in her group chat who mentioned that they had sadly failed their A'levels and were looking into ways to possibly top up their UCAS points. Hopefully those that need it will be able to get a funded place on the diploma but if they are not London based travel and living expenses will make things really difficult. Reaudition, that will be stressful? I heard they would be guaranteed a place on the degree for next year if they could meet the UCAS points through resits, etc.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I have to say that is one advantage of auditioning a year later than sixth form you know your grades and UCAS points ahead of your audition.

Which fetches me to my next question. Daughter got a Merit for her UAL L3 extended diploma. If we've done this correctly on the UCAS site that equals 120 UCAS points.

Now I know that some places don't accept UCAS points from their LAMDA, LCM Trinity exams but how do you work it out if they do? I've seen the table but don't know if a higher grade results supersedes a lower grade or you can add them all together? Eg let's say you've got MT LCM exam grade 6 - merit, grade 7 - merit, grade 8 distinction.
Do you add the UCAS points all 3 exams have given you or just the end one the uCAS points from grade 8?

I'm just trying to work out for daughter that she has a minimum of x and a maximum of y UCAS points for when she auditions next year.
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

lawn wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:56 pm I have to say that is one advantage of auditioning a year later than sixth form you know your grades and UCAS points ahead of your audition.

Which fetches me to my next question. Daughter got a Merit for her UAL L3 extended diploma. If we've done this correctly on the UCAS site that equals 120 UCAS points.

Now I know that some places don't accept UCAS points from their LAMDA, LCM Trinity exams but how do you work it out if they do? I've seen the table but don't know if a higher grade results supersedes a lower grade or you can add them all together? Eg let's say you've got MT LCM exam grade 6 - merit, grade 7 - merit, grade 8 distinction.
Do you add the UCAS points all 3 exams have given you or just the end one the uCAS points from grade 8?

I'm just trying to work out for daughter that she has a minimum of x and a maximum of y UCAS points for when she auditions next year.
It will only be grade 8 that counts - it's the highest qualification in a specific subject. So if you did AS maths and then passed A level maths, the AS maths wouldn't count as UCAS points any more. DS has grade 7 piano but when he finally takes grade 8 (all delayed by Covid) the UCAS points from grade 7 will be superseded. I would email the institution and ask if they accept UCAS points from these places - I guess most will as they are in the same performing arts field.
Moonfaery8
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery8 »

anastasia79 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:13 pm
Moonfaery8 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:08 pm
anastasia79 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:49 pm

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ exciting times ahead! I can’t believe you have to do things all again with your other DD. I think most of the schools will open their applications in September. I think many schools will be doing online auditions for the first stage, hopefully recalls will then be in person. All the best of luck to your DD starting at Urdang in a few weeks and your younger DD with all her upcoming applications and auditions.
Thanks Anastasia79!
Hope all goes well for your DD at Urdang too! No doubt they will cross paths. We’re just sorting out the skirt from the uniform list. Bought the wrong one by mistake 😩 it was too short. She’s going to go in and get the T shirts next week when she gets to London.
I’m sure they will. On the list it didn’t mention a specific brand or style for the skirt, just a long practice black skirt. Which one did you get? I hope the one I got will be okay?
She said it has to be longer- ankle length and she bought calf length by mistake. Not sure where from. She’s ordered a longer one from capezio I think.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Moonfaery8 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:25 pm
anastasia79 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:13 pm
Moonfaery8 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:08 pm
Thanks Anastasia79!
Hope all goes well for your DD at Urdang too! No doubt they will cross paths. We’re just sorting out the skirt from the uniform list. Bought the wrong one by mistake 😩 it was too short. She’s going to go in and get the T shirts next week when she gets to London.
I’m sure they will. On the list it didn’t mention a specific brand or style for the skirt, just a long practice black skirt. Which one did you get? I hope the one I got will be okay?
She said it has to be longer- ankle length and she bought calf length by mistake. Not sure where from. She’s ordered a longer one from capezio I think.
Thank you, I’ll have a look.
Excitingtimes
Nominee

Post by Excitingtimes »

Hi, my DD is starting a degree at Mountview, but having difficulty getting a student bank account with Nationwide because Mountview does not have a UCAS reference. Anyone else come across this and found away round it? She chose Nationwide because she already banks with them. TIA
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Excitingtimes wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:42 pm Hi, my DD is starting a degree at Mountview, but having difficulty getting a student bank account with Nationwide because Mountview does not have a UCAS reference. Anyone else come across this and found away round it? She chose Nationwide because she already banks with them. TIA
Do you put the ucas number for the uni that awards the degree? Eg bird is Greenwich
Lakeviewp
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lakeviewp »

Excitingtimes wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:42 pm Hi, my DD is starting a degree at Mountview, but having difficulty getting a student bank account with Nationwide because Mountview does not have a UCAS reference. Anyone else come across this and found away round it? She chose Nationwide because she already banks with them. TIA
When my DS started at Laine he wanted to change his Santander account to the student one. Our local Santander wouldn’t because of the same problems you are having. However the Santander in Epsom (where Laine is located) were happy to do the account because they knew the college. If you are local it might be worth checking with the Nationwide in Peckham.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

My dd did diploma at Bird and just used her code on UCAS to get the Santander bank account even though she never got accepted for her degree and they accepted it fine. She earns a fair bit in the holidays so don’t feel too bad that she is using it and she is a student on a dada after all.
Mumto3girls
Nominee

Post by Mumto3girls »

DogWalker wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:23 pm
dancelifemum wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:10 pm All fab results here too - definitely off to performers but we did have a call from Bird also offering a place just now!! So there is definitely some movement.

Hope everyone got what they needed....we were on UCAS at 8.30am sharp then off to collect results.
Where were you on the Bird reserve list out of interest please?
Well after all these weeks of waiting DD has finally heard from Bird offering her a place on the degree ☺️ (she was top third on the list) she's decided not to take it as she has already sorted out accomodation for Performers finally! seems she's made a few friends on the chat too so Hopefully be the right choice for her 🤞
Hope everyone's DC is happy with there chosen colleges and here's to a fab few yrs ahead for them all 👍☺️
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Mumto3girls wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:26 pm
dancelifemum wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:10 pm All fab results here too - definitely off to performers but we did have a call from Bird also offering a place just now!! So there is definitely some movement.

Hope everyone got what they needed....we were on UCAS at 8.30am sharp then off to collect results.
Well after all these weeks of waiting DD has finally heard from Bird offering her a place on the degree ☺️ (she was top third on the list) she's decided not to take it as she has already sorted out accomodation for Performers finally! seems she's made a few friends on the chat too so Hopefully be the right choice for her 🤞
Hope everyone's DC is happy with there chosen colleges and here's to a fab few yrs ahead for them all 👍☺️
You see this is what I don’t get about Bird, how many amazing performers must they miss out on because of their famous reserve list, because they’ve already accepted and arranged accommodation elsewhere? I’m sure your dd has made the right decision, she’ll love it at Performers (dd did Pre-Voc there) and they obviously wanted her more than Bird anyway. Always nice to hear confirmation of more than one offer too though x
DogWalker
Nominee

Post by DogWalker »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:24 pm
Mumto3girls wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:26 pm

You see this is what I don’t get about Bird, how many amazing performers must they miss out on because of their famous reserve list, because they’ve already accepted and arranged accommodation elsewhere? I’m sure your dd has made the right decision, she’ll love it at Performers (dd did Pre-Voc there) and they obviously wanted her more than Bird anyway. Always nice to hear confirmation of more than one offer too though x
Oh wow - congratulations to her. My daughter also going to Performers, also got accomodation sorted and also on reserve list for Bird (still waiting). She is feeling happy about her decision - but I dont know what it will feel like if we suddenly get a Bird offer at the very last minute (in september is this even possible??). It would just have been really nice to have all offers/rejections behind us at this stage and not still slightly on edge!
Moonfaery8
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery8 »

Wishing all the new Urdang students good luck for starting next week 🙂
My dd happily settled into her new flat and looking forward to freshers week! Looks like it will be lots of fun.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Moonfaery8 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:20 pm Wishing all the new Urdang students good luck for starting next week 🙂
My dd happily settled into her new flat and looking forward to freshers week! Looks like it will be lots of fun.
Same to your DD, it’s very exciting! My daughter met up with a few students last night in London for drinks before tomorrow’s first freshers event. It looks really exciting!