Wilkes Academy

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Wilkes Academy

Post by tracyelwell »

Hi

After receiving lots of offers, it looks like my daughter is going to be heading off to Wilkes Academy (her first choice school) on a 50% scholarship. She is pleased to get a scholarship when she did video audition a couple of days before the closing date.

Is there anyone else who is heading off to Wilkes this year, my daughter knows one person, but always willing to speak with others.
Ib111
Nominee

Re: Wilkes Academy

Post by Ib111 »

Congratulations to your daughter she must be very talented! 🎉
My youngest DD is interested in Wilkes for a couple of years time. We've seen them a few times at Move-it and we saw their summer show a couple of years ago as it's about an hour from where we live..it was amazing just like a West end show!
I'm very confused about the funding at Wilkes, is it a 3 yr diploma with a Btec included?
Do they give scholarships to a few most talented then the rest pay the full fees?
I know they are doing a degree this year, is this from 18?
I would be grateful if you could reply or pm me 😁
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Not all get scholarships but I know 5 of my daughters friends auditioned and 4 got scholarship offers and they would be of varying degrees of standard so not very sure how they are allocated I'm sure it's based on talent like most other colleges. They all travelled over from Ireland - 4 did audition in person and 1 did a video audition and 4 out of the 5 either got full or partial scholarships - the other girl didn't get in. I do see they have the degree this year alright not sure on age.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

tracyelwell wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:51 pm Hi

After receiving lots of offers, it looks like my daughter is going to be heading off to Wilkes Academy (her first choice school) on a 50% scholarship. She is pleased to get a scholarship when she did video audition a couple of days before the closing date.

Is there anyone else who is heading off to Wilkes this year, my daughter knows one person, but always willing to speak with others.
My daughter is doing the degree at Wilkes from Sept, they have a group chat, is your daughter in that?
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

Tess50 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:02 pm Not all get scholarships but I know 5 of my daughters friends auditioned and 4 got scholarship offers and they would be of varying degrees of standard so not very sure how they are allocated I'm sure it's based on talent like most other colleges. They all travelled over from Ireland - 4 did audition in person and 1 did a video audition and 4 out of the 5 either got full or partial scholarships - the other girl didn't get in. I do see they have the degree this year alright not sure on age.
My daughter has just turned 16 and we know 1 girl who was given a full scholarship and my daughter got a partial scholarship
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:22 pm

My daughter is doing the degree at Wilkes from Sept, they have a group chat, is your daughter in that?
Not sure, I will have to find out, is it on Instagram, Snapchat or Facebook? I know she has connected some students
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

Tess50 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:02 pm Not all get scholarships but I know 5 of my daughters friends auditioned and 4 got scholarship offers and they would be of varying degrees of standard so not very sure how they are allocated I'm sure it's based on talent like most other colleges. They all travelled over from Ireland - 4 did audition in person and 1 did a video audition and 4 out of the 5 either got full or partial scholarships - the other girl didn't get in. I do see they have the degree this year alright not sure on age.
I think my daughter has been talking to one of the lads, Nathan who is coming over from Ireland
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

tracyelwell wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:03 pm
MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Not sure, I will have to find out, is it on Instagram, Snapchat or Facebook? I know she has connected some students
I would guess snapchat, or instagram, it’s quite a big chat x
Kendie76
Nominee

Post by Kendie76 »

This is going to sound strange lol but when my dd had her audition yesterday it went amazing! Feedback in interview was nothing but positive. Does this sound hopeful? After 2 no’s dd really needs a boost
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

My dd is in the second year at Wilkes on degree and I have to say we couldn’t be more impressed. She did pre-voc at Performers and was offered degree at Performers and Wilkes, would have been so much easier to stay at Performers but she got such a good vibe from Wilkes she decided to move and hasn’t regretted it, she loves it there. The teaching is fantastic, everyone is so friendly and even down to small things like today their heating broke in their house so they contacted Wilkes who told them to come in and collect 5 heaters to use, they look after them so much, your sons/daughters will love it too I’m sure x
Kendie76
Nominee

Post by Kendie76 »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:50 pm My dd is in the second year at Wilkes on degree and I have to say we couldn’t be more impressed. She did pre-voc at Performers and was offered degree at Performers and Wilkes, would have been so much easier to stay at Performers but she got such a good vibe from Wilkes she decided to move and hasn’t regretted it, she loves it there. The teaching is fantastic, everyone is so friendly and even down to small things like today their heating broke in their house so they contacted Wilkes who told them to come in and collect 5 heaters to use, they look after them so much, your sons/daughters will love it too I’m sure x
My daughter done her audition on Friday and loved it!! She has everything crossed for an acceptance so really hoping after 2 no’s it’s a yes. The interview went amazing with so many positive comments so I’m swaying towards a positive but you never know.
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

My DD is a 2nd student at Wilkes Academy and is transferring to her degree. She is so happy there, the training is outstanding and so is the standard of teachers they have. She auditioned for Mountview, Arts Ed, Italia Conti, Bird and Dance and Drama Conservatoire in London for her degree this year and was offered places at all. The only one she said she gave consideration to after Wilkes was Mountview, but in the end, she said her training at Wilkes is so well rounded she doesn't need to move as they are coming on leaps and bounds every year and she is right where she needs to be for world-class training.

They really look after the students as well and for the first term this year my daughter had a back injury and her brother was hospitalised and they were amazing and very supportive of her. She is fine now but were brilliant.

The accommodation company associated with the Academy are great too, my DD needed a new bed and they had it replaced in 48 hours and are always doing welfare checks on the students. The staff of the Academy also do unannounced checks to ensure no problems established with the under 18s in the halls they will turn up in the evening to ensure no parties etc.
Clairecm1076
Nominee

Post by Clairecm1076 »

Do wilkes take under 18 in halls?
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Clairecm1076 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:19 am Do wilkes take under 18 in halls?
Hi, my dd is in 2nd year at Wilkes (degree). As far as I know it all changed Sept 2021 as prior to this the under 18s were in Halls but now they have to be with a host family and the over 18s go in houses/halls, Halls are monitored though now as I think a few parties were going on! Couldn’t recommend Wilkes more though, a fab college to go to, daughter loves it x
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

My DD is 2nd-year RSL and you are right, they changed it last year. My daughter was in halls last year and she was 16 but now you have to be 18 and over or have a host family. My daughter now shares a property with 2 x 18 years old, one is first-year degree and one in her third year.

My DD said they do regular checks within halls for parties etc.