Best etiquette for changing agents

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

willywonka
BRIT Award

Best etiquette for changing agents

Post by willywonka »

We are looking to change agents for various reasons. How do you actually do this? Would you tell your present agent that you are leaving once you find a new agent. Do you leave your agent and go unrepresented until you find a new one? Do you contact various agents while with your old agent and hope for offers to be made but inform them not to tell your old agent you are looking? Would a new agent contact your old agent? Sorry for all the questions but DS and DD have been with agent for 4 years and so it is the first time we have changed.
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Re: Best etiquette for changing agents

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

It depends on the reasons for leaving and whether there are any terms and conditions or notice periods that they may want to hold you to.

We have always found the alternative agent first, and then I have explained the situation to the existing one. You can switch Spotlight over almost immediately, so I have explained it as a done deal 'We have new representation, thank you very much, I will be switching Spotlight over...' The original agent will send a list of their submissions to the new one so that if you get any of those jobs they still get their commission. It happens all the time and should be really easy.

Having said that, we have done it twice now, most recently couldn't be easier, or simpler, or more professional. The first time there was much sulking and huffing and it wasn't quite so nice. So just be aware that you can do everything sensibly and it can all still blow up in your face!

Good luck x
willywonka
BRIT Award

Post by willywonka »

Thanks for helpful reply, could I ask another question? I have contacted a few new agents, in the paperwork they want DS spotlight pin. Once they are on spotlught they can see his present agent, is that ok?
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Post by ACookie »

willywonka wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:52 am Thanks for helpful reply, could I ask another question? I have contacted a few new agents, in the paperwork they want DS spotlight pin. Once they are on spotlught they can see his present agent, is that ok?
If they have his name they can look him up on spotlight anyway and so will see his current agent. The pin just makes it quicker to find him.
It's also fine, people change agents all the time, they won't contact your current agent that would be unprofessional of them, they'll just want to see what his credits are and whether he may be a good for their agency.