Mandy, backstage....etc.

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mumoffive
BRIT Award

Mandy, backstage....etc.

Post by Mumoffive »

My DD is 16 and just finishing her GCSE's. She was hoping to find some acting work over the long summer holiday, maybe even extra work. Has anyone used Mandy or Backstage for castings? Are there any better ones? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Re: Mandy, backstage....etc.

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

We have used Mandy, backstage, casting network and starnow over the years. DS is only 10 though, so others may have suggestions for 16+. Have you looked at extras work too as she is 16, that might be an option?

We have had paid work through Mandy and Starnow, some low key local stuff and some much bigger things including international work. As long as you filter out the rubbish listings I think they are great for filling in gaps.

Good luck
Mumoffive
BRIT Award

Post by Mumoffive »

Thank you for replying
I think I'll let her try and just monitor what comes up.
x
Matildaisthedream
Nominee

Post by Matildaisthedream »

Hi there, new to the site and just reading through posts. My DD is 10 and desperate to get into the acting scene, do people regularly use star now and find its worth paying for? Im not sure about websites and which are legit etc. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

Mandy and Starnow are legit. Mandy only has paid castings. Starnow also has unpaid work which can include student films or Time for Prints photo shoots.

As I mentioned above, some element of caution is advisable when deciding whether to apply. If the individual listing doesn't feel very professional then it almost certainly isn't.

How much you get out of it, and whether it is worth the money also depends a bit on where you are in the country. Lots of the jobs are London based. Having said that we are in yorkshire and have had steady bits of fairly small scale film and tv commercial work through both sites which keep the showreel fresh and up to date. We have also had some occasional bigger stuff too, including theatre, so you just never know.

I think some people pay monthly, only if they see something they want to apply for, rather than pay for the year. So maybe keep an eye on it for a while and see if things are coming up that are of interest before you take the plunge?

Good luck and let us know how you get on x
DankyDoodle
Nominee

Post by DankyDoodle »

https://www.castingcollective.co.uk/bec ... ting-calls

Could try extra agencies now she's `16?
Fizz
Nominee

Post by Fizz »

I know its probably in terms and conditions if I can find it, but can you get jobs via this if already with an agency?
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Post by ACookie »

Most agencies would be fine with it, but just let them know what you are applying for so the dates don't clash with submissions they are making. Worth checking with your agent first though as sometimes they may also be submitting for the same job - not all agencies would, but some of them definitely submit clients for mandy jobs.