Auditioning for SEPT 2018

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for SEPT 2018

Post by Live_thedream »

Fullmoon wrote:
Robin64 wrote:From what I heard a whole recall group got congratulations you have a place letters from GSA. They then got told it was a mistake and they hadn't got in. They were declined on UCAS. Unbelievably upsetting. I hope they review the process for the future. To actually send out letters with the candidates name on would really make you think you had got in. Horrible.
This is just shocking! Is it just me, or do other people think this whole process is way out of control?! From our experience this year I think I’ve developed quite a cynical view. Most colleges are auditioning far too many DC’s (and making an absolute fortune in the process!!) and as a result some, like GSA, have got themselves in a right mess and haven’t got a clue who they’ve seen, who they want, who’s on what list, and so on. Add in recalls, reserve lists, DADA funding allocation, conditional offers and goodness knows what else and you’re left with many, many DC’s/parents living in a stressful land of limbo for weeks and months on end! Sorry, rant over! Thank goodness for NAPM!! :oops: :roll: :D
Couldn't agree more!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Scarytimes wrote:
Marissa wrote:
lotsolaffs wrote:I really feel for all going through this,I am dreading this post 18. I have a DD on reserve at The Brit school, she is very near the top now but she feels she wants to go somewhere that has chosen her,not a place that wants her as a second or even third choice. It is so hard for anyone to move on if kept dangling on a thread of hope for a place. Do any of your's feel that these places don't deserve them the longer they are kept waiting?
I suppose it's part of the process however that's the main reason DD chose The Hammond in the end. I remember someone here saying that they wanted to invest in her with their time and that's how she felt x I know it's luck on the day but DD felt wanted by The Hammond x I just hope she gets the grades now!!!
What does she need to get for Hammond?
It's not bad BCC but DD is the kind of student who gets 100% on practicals and has all the knowledge. She's always been on the more able and talented lists in schools but never quite gets it right on the written exams lol x She's predicted ABB but got CCCD in her As levels so it's close!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

We are hoping the resits she has just done will bump her up x I'm sure all will be ok just worried that if she doesn't quite get there that's her place at Hammond gone x
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Marissa wrote:We are hoping the resits she has just done will bump her up x I'm sure all will be ok just worried that if she doesn't quite get there that's her place at Hammond gone x
A nervous wait then. Hopefully the promise of the Hammond place will give her the focus in the written exam [-o<
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

lotsolaffs wrote:I really feel for all going through this,I am dreading this post 18. I have a DD on reserve at The Brit school, she is very near the top now but she feels she wants to go somewhere that has chosen her,not a place that wants her as a second or even third choice. It is so hard for anyone to move on if kept dangling on a thread of hope for a place. Do any of your's feel that these places don't deserve them the longer they are kept waiting?
At least you will be going into the process well informed, and you have definitely been doing your research well ahead.

I agree about going to a place where you are wanted, but as Robin64 put it, it might be purely down to the timing of audition. Also, most of these places are offering places based on the make-up of the whole group, so no-one can really take it personally, because it goes down to whether you fill the gap. There are other places who's ethos is about bringing the best out of the individual to go on then and be a success. Other considerations can be will your DD thrive in a large place or small? My DS got through to final stages of ArtsEd, and although as gutted as we were that he didn't get a place, part of me wonders could my DS have handled the environment where dance is strong (and his isn't), and the effect it could have had on his self-esteem. So I really don't think there is a right answer, as what might be right for one, may not be for another and it depends on so many varying factors, which goes down to the individual auditioning and what will work personally for them.

As so many people prior have said, go with your/DC's gut.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Scarytimes wrote:
Marissa wrote:We are hoping the resits she has just done will bump her up x I'm sure all will be ok just worried that if she doesn't quite get there that's her place at Hammond gone x
A nervous wait then. Hopefully the promise of the Hammond place will give her the focus in the written exam [-o<
I really wish she had done a btec but at the time we wanted to keep her options open as this career was a late choice!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

I would suggest
Past papers regularly and time them.
Go and see teachers & explain what grades she needs and ask for specific help to boost her grades including any one to one or small group revision the teacher can give.
Use revision materials specific to her board if possible - so not just generic A level material.
Try different revision techniques such as using mind maps and different colours, flash cards, recording things and listening to them, story- boarding information and putting information into a dance or exercise routine ( do the routine while saying the information).
It depends what kind of learner she is - some people are kinetic learners so movement helps anchor the information. Similarly creating a story or picture can help eg. Go to different rooms in a house and retrieve the facts in each room. Picture the house and the rooms and get what you need from each one.
If school run study leave revision sessions - ask teachers for help with exam technique during those.
She is obviously very able so it could be just exam technique that needs refining. It's important to know which questions are going to get most marks for instance and if a question has 2 parts to it - make sure you answer both.
Good luck to her x
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

As so many people prior have said, go with your/DC's gut.[/quote]

I definitely agree with this. When we went into this ‘we’ (DD/me) thought we knew which were her ‘Top 3’ and, of these, which was her clear favourite. However, despite getting an offer from her favourite she just didn’t feel it was right when she went to the recall...so very last minute she decided to try a couple of late auditions ‘just to see’, with the thought that, if necessary, she might take a gap year and try again next year (not sure my nerves could have taken it though!! #-o :D ) Glad to say, the minute she walked into one of the auditions she got ‘that feeling’, then she got great feedback at the interview and an offer, which she accepted all within 24hrs!! I feel very blessed to be sorted now as we were in that horrible ‘limbo land’ that others still sadly are :( Fingers crosses for each and every one of you still there [-o<
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Fullmoon wrote:As so many people prior have said, go with your/DC's gut.

I definitely agree with this. When we went into this ‘we’ (DD/me) thought we knew which were her ‘Top 3’ and, of these, which was her clear favourite. However, despite getting an offer from her favourite she just didn’t feel it was right when she went to the recall...so very last minute she decided to try a couple of late auditions ‘just to see’, with the thought that, if necessary, she might take a gap year and try again next year (not sure my nerves could have taken it though!! #-o :D ) Glad to say, the minute she walked into one of the auditions she got ‘that feeling’, then she got great feedback at the interview and an offer, which she accepted all within 24hrs!! I feel very blessed to be sorted now as we were in that horrible ‘limbo land’ that others still sadly are :( Fingers crosses for each and every one of you still there
Oooh! I didn't know that you are sorted. Where is she going then?

My DS seems to have that "right" feeling wherever he goes (sigh!) and only one place did not do it for him, so at least he should be happy wherever he ends up!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Thankyou to be honest she does all of this x I'm really proud of her x I think what will be will be x I just came home to find her upset worrying about it all but the worst that will happen is a year in Manchester before auditioning again but touchwood that won't happen xxx everything crossed x
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Scarytimes wrote:
Fullmoon wrote:As so many people prior have said, go with your/DC's gut.

I definitely agree with this. When we went into this ‘we’ (DD/me) thought we knew which were her ‘Top 3’ and, of these, which was her clear favourite. However, despite getting an offer from her favourite she just didn’t feel it was right when she went to the recall...so very last minute she decided to try a couple of late auditions ‘just to see’, with the thought that, if necessary, she might take a gap year and try again next year (not sure my nerves could have taken it though!! #-o :D ) Glad to say, the minute she walked into one of the auditions she got ‘that feeling’, then she got great feedback at the interview and an offer, which she accepted all within 24hrs!! I feel very blessed to be sorted now as we were in that horrible ‘limbo land’ that others still sadly are :( Fingers crosses for each and every one of you still there
Oooh! I didn't know that you are sorted. Where is she going then?

My DS seems to have that "right" feeling wherever he goes (sigh!) and only one place did not do it for him, so at least he should be happy wherever he ends up!
Haha! #-o I’ve pm’d you x
Candafitt
BRIT Award

Post by Candafitt »

I woke up this morning realising, not only was I thinking of the whole GSA stress everytime I woke up but I had even dreamt about it. I don’t think it helped hearing about the group that got told wrongly, feel awful for them too.
Then it crossed my mind, is my DS as stressed as i am? So now I’m worrying about that too. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Candafitt wrote:I woke up this morning realising, not only was I thinking of the whole GSA stress everytime I woke up but I had even dreamt about it. I don’t think it helped hearing about the group that got told wrongly, feel awful for them too.
Then it crossed my mind, is my DS as stressed as i am? So now I’m worrying about that too. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Well I know my daughter is stressed out of her mind so I'm sure they all are xxx All we can do is keep calm on the outside and keep everything crossed x
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Marissa wrote: Well I know my daughter is stressed out of her mind so I'm sure they all are xxx All we can do is keep calm on the outside and keep everything crossed x
Just to lighten the mood. DS was more stressed about the Champions League final yesterday then any audition or exam :D

...and that didn’t end well did it!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Scarytimes wrote:
Marissa wrote: Well I know my daughter is stressed out of her mind so I'm sure they all are xxx All we can do is keep calm on the outside and keep everything crossed x
Just to lighten the mood. DS was more stressed about the Champions League final yesterday then any audition or exam :D

...and that didn’t end well did it!
Lol xxx