help needed

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

di47
BRIT Award

help needed

Post by di47 »

Can anyone recommend a London agent for my daughter. she has just moved to London and has a North east based agent but is thinking she will have more luck with a London agent. She has been in a kids drama for the last 3 years and it may run again this year. She has also just done a successful panto run. Apart From this she hasn't had much else in the last 3 years and has had long periods of time without anything. Her agent is a nice women but not very professional she doesnt even audition for the agency she basically takes anyone on the book's. I'm thinking that north east agents are not really recognised so a London agent may be better. I know it might be difficult getting one and they will have a lot more competition but at 20 she can't afford to hang around forever with no work and no auditiona. Any thoughts please.
fizzycandy123
GRAMMY Award

Re: help needed

Post by fizzycandy123 »

Hello,Daisy and Dukes are especially good for younger kids,A and J management and Bonnie and Betty are all really good.xx Good luck
di47
BRIT Award

Post by di47 »

Won't she be looking at an adults agency at 20 !
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Yes, I think adult agency at 20, although some of the 'childrens' do have young adults too. If she has a good TV credit then it is worth trying some of the big London agents - if you google "top london acting agents" you will get a pretty good idea of who is out there - although there are lots of smaller, boutique style, agencies who are really very good. Good luck!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I would recommend a couple of books for your daughter:

"An Actors' Guide to Getting Work" - Simon Dunmore
and "Actors' Yearbook".

There's really nothing to beat her own research into agencies. It can be a long job - and it can take a long time to find the right agent - but she can research agents to see which ones are representing clients who get the sort of work she aspires to get and she can start there. It's worth starting at the top. It's also a good idea to target those (where possible) who do not yet represent someone in her casting bracket if she can.

She is in the most overcrowded bit of the market - and she will be competing with actors who have trained at drama school - so the competition is likely to be fierce.

If she has a showreel, agents may look at that - otherwise she probably needs to get in to a show in London (Fringe/profit share perhaps) that she can invite the agents to. She might also want to consider something like monologue slam which is sometimes attended by agents.

Many good agents who represent adults do not audition actors, but they DO expect to be able see what they can do (via showreel, screen performance or theatre performance) before taking them on.