agency auditions-chaperones?

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

fizzycandy123
GRAMMY Award

agency auditions-chaperones?

Post by fizzycandy123 »

Hello everyone,could really do with some advice,I have an interview for a acting manager in London,I will not be 16 then however I shall be 16 a few weeks after,I have always emailed agents and cds myself since I started acting a few years back,but I was always told to have a chaperone.I have recently been informed that once you are 16 you should go on your own to interviews/auditions as you are allowed to and it can look unprofessional if you dont.xx any advice thanks
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Re: agency auditions-chaperones?

Post by Flosmom »

Always put safety first. If you don't know the people you are going to see, or it's not a business venue, take someone with you. This applies whatever age you are. But especially for young people.

As an employer, I wouldn't give it a second thought if a visitor or job candidate brought someone along when coming to the office. I'd just offer them a cuppa while they waited!

The Susie Lamplugh Trust gives information on personal safety:

http://www.suzylamplugh.org

Good luck with your interview

Deb x
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

If you don't feel safe, or comfortable in London on your own, then take somebody with you - doesn't have to be a parent, but a good sensible friend works, and the people who audition young people won't worry. If you were 18 and still wanted somebody with you, I'd worry more because it could impact on your ability to work, and travel at horrible hours of the day in less than nice places. At 16 you can't be blamed for being careful. Just be aware that mums in particular are not really nice to have around watching with beady eyes. I've been known to devise crafty ways of getting them out of my hair when they are annoying - but most are almost transparent - only you can tell which yours is! They're interested in you, and not your friend/parent. So make sure whoever you choose is the invisible man!
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

As a mum of 3 young actors, one of whom is now over 16, I have to say that if you aren't yet over 16 I definitely don't think you should be going to see agents etc on your own, and if I was an agent I would insist a child who is of licensing age had an adult with them, so 100% do not worry about having a parent or friend with you. I always went with dd1 until she was over licensing age (which is the last friday in June in the school year you are 16 - so for you that will be June 2015).

Paulears, what a strange comment about mums not being very nice to have around! In the 9 years I have been involved in this business I am certain I have never been indiscreet, and I have probably only met a handful of parents who have - and definitely not just mums!

Basically fizzycandy, if anyone you are going to see objects to a 15 or 16 year old bringing someone with them, then I would advise you don't go there - good luck x
fizzycandy123
GRAMMY Award

Post by fizzycandy123 »

Hi everyone thankyou for all your comments they really helped.xx