PT Performing Arts Schools or Drama Group?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

jnrshenton
BRIT Award

PT Performing Arts Schools or Drama Group?

Post by jnrshenton »

I hope to hear some of your experiences, my DD has been with 2 different Performing Arts Schools in the past 2 years. When I say Perf. Arts Schools, I mean the weekend groups that teach singing, dancing & acting for a premium. However, we have found, in both instances, my DD hasn't really experienced significant acting lessons.

The most recent school is totally amazing, don't get me wrong, but seems to have concentrated wholly on dance and song performances. She has also taken part in several youth musical productions, however, as she is only 10 the more complex and interesting roles (main) are performed by the older children, leaving her as ensemble. :roll:

She has always wanted to be an actress - whether on TV, stage or film - and is with a fantastic agency through which -within 2 months- she was in a feature film, as well as being in several other films that I found through starnow/kidsccp.

So, does she quit PA School and join a junior drama society that concentrates on acting, teaching a smaller group of kids and then giving them the opportunity to audition for parts before performing on stage locally? Or does she carry on with the triple threat lessons and seeming to be one of many and therefore a little insignificant? :-k

At this age, does it really matter? I'm a little concerned that, having had to audition to get in, we are throwing away a good opportunity of a good local school.

If anyone has been through these decisions, it would be great to hear from you and of your experiences. :)
cupcakephoebz
GRAMMY Award

Re: PT Performing Arts Schools or Drama Group?

Post by cupcakephoebz »

Just wondering what does the pt (the school your dd goes to) stabs for? Xx
One day everyone will make it, but for now I'm still waiting http://www.starnow.co.uk/phoebespence1
jnrshenton
BRIT Award

Post by jnrshenton »

Hi Cupcakephoebz

Just stands for Part Time

X
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I agree with jomist.

Some children change their minds many times about what they would like to do (so do some adults!), some stick to the same idea through thick and thin.

Either is fine.

If your dd is thinking about acting as a career then it doesn't matter all that much at this stage about what kind of training she has - all of the experiences she has (artistic and non-artistic) will deepen the well she has to draw upon when acting. This is different if she wants to dance, if she wants to have dance as the focus for her career: in that case early training is likely to be important. Someone who decides aged 18 that they want to dance as a career, having never done any training, is likely to be at a considerable disadvantage!

One of the most charismatic and talented performers in my drama school year had only ever done school plays.

DS - who is now working as an actor - attended a Saturday club, was involved in a few different amateur societies (adult ones - so the opportunites were mostly panto with only very occasional drama) and he co-founded a theatre company with friends in his teens (so they could do more of the things they wanted to do). He also went to see productions (mostly local) whenever he could afford it. He didn't do any professional work as a child performer (apart from a couple of local things that we sort of fell over! :lol: .

I don't think there's ever any kind of guaranteed route to success/work - so you might as well do what you enjoy, especially when you are young.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Hi jnrshenton,

If your dd's performing arts school runs classes up to 16 years or older and put on a main production once a year, then obviously the 'main' roles will go to the older children. As I'm sure you're aware, the younger kids progress to those roles in time if they stay with the school. If your dd wants a meatier role then they would have to go to a place which separates the age groups and puts on a play for each group. I have always felt it good for a child to attend a class if they are enjoying it, progressing steadily and thriving socially. I agree with jomist about asking your dd what she wants. However, I would add that maybe we as adults can possibly see a wider picture. For example, if your dd wants a career in the performing arts, then a core training in ballet would be highly beneficial. Had you thought about talking with the acting teacher to see if they offer LAMDA exams or Guildhall? What about competitions in festivals? If you feel the acting side within the school is not as strong, can she drop those classes and go elsewhere or is it a package deal? For a child that enjoys straight acting more than singing and dancing then I would definitely look around to see what else is on offer but see if the school she attends can help first. Hope this helps :)
jnrshenton
BRIT Award

Post by jnrshenton »

Thank you all so much for your words it really helps to mull these things over with people that have the same experiences.
I have had a very open chat with my DD and we happily agree to drop the school at this time and are going to look for local drama groups.

Thankfully we are at the end of term now so can have a lovely few weeks off to relax and look about in September.

I have always made sure she has made decisions that are right for her, I just try to make sure she has all the information to think about. I'm very grateful that she is extremely grounded about this industry and is just enjoying every amazing opportunity that she has had, as she says "even if that's it and I never get any more work, I have done more than many kids I know".