Daisy and Dukes Books Open

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Proudmum1968
GRAMMY Award

Daisy and Dukes Books Open

Post by Proudmum1968 »

Hi - my DS is currently with an agent but I see that Daisy and Dukes books are now open - auditions on 19th July. Does anyone have any direct experience of them please? Trying to decide whether to send in an application for my DS. He's not particularly interested in commercials, more musical theatre, TV and film. Any advice gratefully received please! Also do they charge to represent your child?
Tiggy
BRIT Award

Re: Daisy and Dukes Books Open

Post by Tiggy »

You only pay for photos to be done & for spotlight.
They have had children in practically every show in the WestEnd, my dd has been in the WestEnd & done television & I'd def recommend them :D
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Michelle, who runs the agency is a mum herself and has first hand experience of being a 'stage mum'. She works hard for the children. There are no agency fees to pay apart from Spotlight and photos for Spotlight. Good luck :)
Last edited by RoseTowers4 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proudmum1968
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proudmum1968 »

Thank you Tiggy and RoseTowers4 - we don't live in or near London - we live in South Wales so not sure if this will go against us but can't hurt to send an application I guess. Do you happen to know how many children they have on their books at any one time and whether they are from all over the UK? Thanks again for your advice :)
GreaseIstheWord
BRIT Award

Post by GreaseIstheWord »

Tiggy wrote:You only pay for photos to be done & for spotlight.
They have had children in practically every show in the WestEnd, my dd has been in the WestEnd & done television & I'd def recommend them :D
Do you know if you have to use their photographer or can your own headshots be used?? Headshots by the agency photographers I find are not that great.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Daisy and Dukes kids come from all, over but obviously if the castings are in central London then Wales might be a bit far to get to quickly! However, the best thing to do is to contact Michelle as there are castings all over the country. I'm not sure how many they have on the books but if you ask, they can always tell you how many kids they have that are your dd/ds's age. They prefer you to use their photographer. If you're coming all the way from South Wales for the audition, then I would definitely contact them first as that's a fair hike. Hope this helps :)
Last edited by RoseTowers4 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proudmum1968
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proudmum1968 »

Thank you so much RoseTowers4 - sorry for the delay have been away with DS performing this weekend at a Festival and have come back to an email offering him an audition next Saturday lunchtime. I think I will reply asking the question about distance and see what they think - alhtough I don't want to come across as negative about traveling to auditions I guess we need to be practical as well with ensuring DS's education isn't compromised either. Thanks again for your advice. :)
Mrs.H13
BRIT Award

Post by Mrs.H13 »

[quote="Proudmum1968"]Thank you so much RoseTowers4 - sorry for the delay have been away with DS performing this weekend at a Festival and have come back to an email offering him an audition next Saturday lunchtime. I think I will reply asking the question about distance and see what they think - alhtough I don't want to come across as negative about traveling to auditions I guess we need to be practical as well with ensuring DS's education isn't compromised either. Thanks again for your advice. :)[/

Hello!
Just to let you know from personal experience d&d will consider children from around the UK. We live near Manchester and my dd auditioned for Daisy & Dukes in February. I phoned and spoke to Michelle first who was so helpful. I was honest with her and just said that we could travel to London for castings if the right opportunity came along. We had to be realistic as with work and family we would not be in a position to be back and to to London every week! Michelle was also very honest and said they would be more than happy to represent my dd if she was accepted after the audition, but with the distance from London things would be a little bit slower and probably less opportunities than a child living around London. For us personally we are happy with that. We took dd along to audition and was absolutely gobsmacked at the amount of children who had applied!! I started to wonder what on earth we were thinking travelling all that way. Anyway, she was lucky enough to get in and our experience with them so far has been nothing but positive. Hope this helps and best of luck to your ds :))
Proudmum1968
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proudmum1968 »

Thank you so much Mrs.H13 that is so helpful. Would you mind if I PM you?
Mrs.H13
BRIT Award

Post by Mrs.H13 »

Proudmum1968 wrote:Thank you so much Mrs.H13 that is so helpful. Would you mind if I PM you?
No I don't mind at all :)
Proudmum1968
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proudmum1968 »

Thank you I'll message you shortly :-)
jesstar
Nominee

Post by jesstar »

Hi Mrs.H13 my dd has been invited to audition on the 31st 4-5 yr olds I was wondering if you had any info/tips that would help plz? She will be turning 4the week after her audition so I would like to prepare her in any way I can as it will be her very first audition. Any help will be gratefully received. TIA
Mel.
Mrs.H13
BRIT Award

Post by Mrs.H13 »

jesstar wrote:Hi Mrs.H13 my dd has been invited to audition on the 31st 4-5 yr olds I was wondering if you had any info/tips that would help plz? She will be turning 4the week after her audition so I would like to prepare her in any way I can as it will be her very first audition. Any help will be gratefully received. TIA
Mel.
Hello,
Good luck to your dd in her audition...my dd was 8 when she applied so I would imagine it is quite a bit different for the younger children. I just know that Dd had to prepare a monologue and song to do not sure if it's the same for your lo? I suppose it can be a bit daunting when it's their first audition but it's all a learning experience for them. In my (not professional or experienced!!) opinion I think it's just best to tell the kids to enjoy themselves! Help her to learn her monologue/poem so that she's as prepared as she can be..but just tell her it's for fun. There were several people in the waiting area when we were there and one mum was constantly saying to her child "you do know your words don't you, make sure you concentrate!" The poor child looked like it was the last place he wanted to be. I think a simple "have fun" before she goes in should settle her nerves. Fingers crossed hope it all goes well for her :)
jesstar
Nominee

Post by jesstar »

Thank you. Yes she has a 30 sec rhyme she already knows didn't want to 'rehearse' something if that makes sense. Wasn't sure if they went in in groups or alone. I'm sure they will make it fun for such young children so we will give it a go see what happens. She is really looking forward to it bless her! :D
Mrs.H13
BRIT Award

Post by Mrs.H13 »

jesstar wrote:Thank you. Yes she has a 30 sec rhyme she already knows didn't want to 'rehearse' something if that makes sense. Wasn't sure if they went in in groups or alone. I'm sure they will make it fun for such young children so we will give it a go see what happens. She is really looking forward to it bless her! :D
Aww good idea to use something she knows. I can't imagine what it must be like for a really young child! They do go in in groups though which I think is less daunting. Not sure on group size but if I remember rightly there were about 20 children in at once with dd and they all did their own individual pieces. Good luck and let us know how she gets on :)