back up

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

sophiesocks
OSCAR Award

back up

Post by sophiesocks »

hi - another back up question! is it normal for the back up to do wardrobe? when my dd was back up she didn't, and when she was featured the back up didn't do wardrobe, so i was wondering what was normal - thank you :)
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Re: back up

Post by lollypop »

Me again! We seem to be going thru similar qs at the moment. We had a wardrobe call for the back-up role we just did. I don't have any other experience tho so no idea if that's normal. Hope you enjoyed filming "fruit bowl"
sophiesocks
OSCAR Award

Post by sophiesocks »

Thanks it went well :) when's your back up job?
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Post by mouskouri41 »

Hi -glad you started this as I couldn't find the other relevant thread,and thought I'd add my experience to the back up discussion!My dd was due to be the back up in a big ad filmed last year(has just come out-involves a girl on a bike with a singing cat)Bit disappointed to have gone so far and learnt a few pop songs for it(she is much more MT!)but at the end of the day quite happy to be back up as it seemed like such a fun ad to be part of,with the possibility of actually doing some stuff in it with shots where the face wasnt shown or where there was just a leg in shot etc.She went as far as doing the wardrobe which involved trying on loads of outfits and helmets and photos of different combinations.However,literally the late avo/early evening before we were meant to be shooting the ad,I had a call from the agent to say that it had all fallen through for dd,as the age of the back up had to be 9 for licensing.The back up needed to be older as they had to be available for more hours or be on set for more hours than the main girl.(DD is 7 and the girl used was 5 and a half!)i don't know how on earth they worked that conundrum out,all I know is that I had a very puzzled and disappointed dd,and exasperated me and angry agent!Time booked off school,license,and childcare sorted etc.It was pretty awful all round,and came right on the back of another disappointment for us,was seriously thinking of just jacking the whole agency thing in at that point.Dd will get wardobe,cancellation and audition fees,though of course these things can take months so not sure what this will be as yet,not that that was really any consolation at the time!
By contrast my dd was the main girl in a similar sort of ad,where there was a lot for one girl to do,and the back up was used quite frequently for shots where dds face wasnt actually in the shot,and there was just a hand or a leg used.4 days filming so there were quite a few occasions where they gave dd a break and used the back up for body shots.The back up girl and dd got on well and they had a great experience,living quite far away and being put up in london for a week.
So yes,I think it would be unusual if back up didnt do wardrobe-they would have to really for continuity.
This made me think about another recent thread about why is everything last minute-what with our recent experience,I wonder how many people working in these production companies actually have kids!!
SM7
BRIT Award

Post by SM7 »

-