Audition Songs

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

hedgehogqueen
Nominee

Audition Songs

Post by hedgehogqueen »

My DD is auditioning for GSA and Urdang, and I am not sure if her choice of songs is suitable. With no professional singing coach to ask, and no advice from anyone (she is a dancer and actor really), just wondered what peoples thoughts are on:- Come out of the Dumpster from Wedding Singer (This is what she is doing for GSA first round and Balled for Urdang) and Some People from Gypsy (Upbeat for Urdang). Hope someone can help. Thanks
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Re: Audition Songs

Post by bop2thetop »

Gosh this is such a personal thing. It depends on her vocal range and what suits her. What I did for my daughter was google Mezzo Soprano Musical Theatre songs. Printed a list off and then went through you tube looking up the songs we didn't know. Good old You Tube can come in very handy. Once you've chosen one or two, you can usually get the sheet music off the internet. Somewhere like Music Notes or Sheet Music Direct. My advice on choosing a song is a. Avoid any really popular current shows like Wicked or Les Mis. Apparently auditioning panels get bored of listening to them. Try and pick songs from a less well known show maybe if you can. Also, b. try and pick song she can act. I think they are looking for acting and singing skills.
You will need someone who can play the piano go through the sheet music with her. The backing tracks can be quite different to the sheet music and can confuse them if they haven't practised with a pianist. Also you need to check its in the right key for her voice.
I hope this helps and good luck :) :D
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

for auditions as important and as competitive as this - you really could do with the advice and input from a singing coach if possible, even as a one-off, it would be a good investment.
They see so much that we wouldn't with pitch, clarity, projection, diction, choice of song etc etc.
I know they can be expensive but it would be a very valuable consideration?
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

I'm so sorry I obviously skimmed your question and answered it wrong. You have already found songs!!! Sorry. I will have a look/listen to them later and let you know what I think. Not that I'm an expert or anything. Haha
hedgehogqueen
Nominee

Post by hedgehogqueen »

Thanks for your comments, I know it is a hard choice, I guess iam just worried if she gets it wrong. I am sure she will be fine. We have the sheet music.
suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

I have no background to offer advice on song choices - but would say the choice of song is probably more important for GSA and whilst Urdang ask for 2 songs I have not heard of anyone who has had to perform 2 songs at first audition, although may be asked to at recall. I guess its useful to have more than one though just in case they do ask :lol: Good luck
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

You should really go to an audition with more than the required songs. You should have alternatives to sing if asked - especially for recalls. In my DDs GA recall she was asked to sing "Something else you've got". She offered about 4 more and they chose. If you are going into MT you should build up a portfolio of songs (ideally contrasting and more than one eg of a particular "type") with the sheet music ready taped together etc. The courses which emphasise singing rather tan dance will often ask to hear more. I agree that the singing coach - even for one lesson - would be a good idea.

I asked my DD about the songs and she says they are good choices, not overdone.

Good luck!!
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
carriecrafts
GRAMMY Award

Post by carriecrafts »

Hi hedgehogqueen, I have no idea about song choice or anything to do with singing :-s but at my DDs Urdang audition a few weeks ago she sang one of her 2 prepared songs and was then asked to sing legit scales.
Good luck