Anyone had experience of scoliosis?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

orangebear4
GRAMMY Award

Anyone had experience of scoliosis?

Post by orangebear4 »

Hi, I haven't been on here for ages, as dd now 15 and moved into that time where she is too tall or old for castings, so she has for the last couple of years concentrated on her music, and is doing very well.
However, she has been dealt a real blow recently, as she has, out of the blue been diagnosed with 'severe' scoliosis (curvature of the spine) - she has three big curves and is facing an operation to straighten it later this year at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore. She has also been suffering from other symptoms, breathlessness, dizziness and exhaustion and has found it difficult to concentrate, which made taking half of her GCSE's this year (a year early) an absolute nightmare. These symptoms may or may not be related to the scoliosis, she is having a lot of tests through our local hospital at the moment. Being a singer and flautist to a high standard, she is understandably worried that the operation may affect her music long term, as it is such a major op. Does anyone have any experience of scoliosis and the outcome of an operation to straighten the spine?
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Re: Anyone had experience of scoliosis?

Post by mouskouri41 »

Hi there,
I have a friend with scoliosis,and had a similar decision to make at a younger age,10 I think(don't quote me!).The next time I speak to her I will get some more detailed info for you.Basically she made the decision not to have an op,and now at the age of 43 is still very happy with her decision.she makes a very good case for not having the op,like I say can't remember the details right now.She still has back problems(not severe though)but she is active,swims and cycles regularly,and does some simple exercises a couple of times a day.Of course everyone is different,and your dds condition may be alot more severe(or not)than my friends,and what's right for one might not be right for another,etc.Let me have a chat with her properly about it and I'll get back to you.
sophiesocks
OSCAR Award

Post by sophiesocks »

Im really sorry your dd is going through this :( you must be very worried x
orangebear4
GRAMMY Award

Post by orangebear4 »

Ok, thank you mouskouri, I await your reply!
Thanks Sophiesocks, good to hear from you again.
SNN
BAFTA Award

Post by SNN »

My sister had a friend with scoliosis who used to dance but had to stop due to the condition. However, with the help of a back brace, not doing any sports or activity that could possibly hurt her back, physiotherapy and surgery her scoliosis got better and I think that it is virtually gone now. I will ask my sister for more information about how the surgery went, the aftermath (etc).
I hope that your daughter gets well soon, know that she is in my thoughts and my prayers :D
orangebear4
GRAMMY Award

Post by orangebear4 »

Thank you, it is so kind of you SNN!
SNN
BAFTA Award

Post by SNN »

orangebear4 wrote:Thank you, it is so kind of you SNN!
Your welcome. I know that she will get better :D
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

orangebear, I don't have any useful experience/advice I'm afraid - but just wanted to say how sorry I am. What a worrying and wearing time for you both.

I do hope for some positive news for you and your dd.
orangebear4
GRAMMY Award

Post by orangebear4 »

That's very kind, thank you.
cupcakephoebz
GRAMMY Award

Post by cupcakephoebz »

I have a friend with v. Severe scoliosis, she have 3 curves and no part of her spine is straight but she is a music and sports scholar and just taken up rowing! She had an operation which really helped and still wears her brace but it has NEVER affected her xx
One day everyone will make it, but for now I'm still waiting http://www.starnow.co.uk/phoebespence1
justafanofmusic
BRIT Award

Post by justafanofmusic »

Hello Orangebear4
Both my sister (now 61) and I have scoliosis. My sister had a complete collapse and had to have a rib resection at the age of 14. At the age of 55 she had Harrington rods inserted at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre in Oxford. Before this latter operation she suffered from breathlessness as her lungs were being squashed. She no longer has this breathlessness. I was lucky enough to have my scoliosis 'spotted' by my mum and sister. I went through years of physiotherapy and exercises undr the care of Professor Duthy at Oxford and managed to build up the muscles either side of my spine which have supported the curvature. I understand that there is a modern operation that supports the spine with rods whilst allowing the spine to grow as the supports are move moveable than in the past. An operation now is likely to prevent your daughter from suffering from more severe back pain in later life. The breathlessness that she is experiencing now may be due to a constriction of her lungs due to the curvature and so is likely to be eased with a stabalisation of the curvature.
Is there a possibility of her going through a strict regime of exercises as I did to build her muscles or is the operation the best option for her?
Whatever happens I wish her all the very best of luck and sincerely hope that she will be able to sing and play the flute as she does now.....
orangebear4
GRAMMY Award

Post by orangebear4 »

I'm not sure about exercises to help. We go back to the hospital at the end of August to discuss her treatment. As I understand it, because of her age and severity of the curves they are not going to bother with bracing or just watching over a period of time to see if it progresses, but go straight to the operation. I know I need to write down all my and my dd's concerns to stop me forgetting what to ask. Dd goes to a junior conservatoire on a Saturday, and the director there advised her not to have the operation as it can be 'disastrous for a musician', and I really need to know if there is any truth in that. I think she may just have had a bad experience, and I know the hospital that dd is under is a world leader in scoliosis, so I'm sure they know what they are doing. The operation takes many hours, and sounds horrendous from what I know already, but many teenagers have it, and they all seem ok!
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

So sorry to hear your DD is having to go through this Orangebear ... such a worrying time for you both. You are in my thoughts and prayers x
emi's mum
BAFTA Award

Post by emi's mum »

Last edited by emi's mum on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
emi's mum
BAFTA Award

Post by emi's mum »

Last edited by emi's mum on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.