Should You Tell Your Agent If...

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

notanaveragejoe
Nominee

Should You Tell Your Agent If...

Post by notanaveragejoe »

I was wondering if you found out a casting director was taking applications for a role that you were sutible for, should you tell your agent to submit you.
What if they decided to submit everybody else on their books with a similar look who happen to have more professional experience than yourself, then wouldn't that ruin your chances.
michbv
GRAMMY Award

Re: Should You Tell Your Agent If...

Post by michbv »

You could always say that you would love this chance. I reckon agents do find out about a lot of "jobs" coming up. Maybe they feel you aren't suitable. You can most definitely prove them wrong. At the end of the day, they are working for you. As they only earn money if you get the job. So defo no harm in asking? Good luck
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

Do you mean that you don't want the agent to submit anyone else from their books incase they get it instead of your dc? Interesting dilemma!
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Post by mouskouri41 »

I also have a similar dilemma I was wondering if anyone could help with?My dc has been suggested for a west end audition some weeks ago by her stage school where she does drama,but she is with an agent who have now contacted me saying they want to suggest her also.I really thought they(the agency) would have already put in their suggestions and was very surprised when they contacted me about this.I thought I would cross the bridge when I came to it and maybe tell the agent that i had done it under my own steam as they hadnt suggested her,but now they have I think maybe I should withdraw the original application.Can anyone advise?
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Hi

Yes this is a tricky one that I have been wondering about, if I see things that suit my dd that are open for anyone I often apply, but should I do that as sometimes doesn't it mean that there have been two submissions one by me and one by the agent ?

But I don't like to keep contacting the agent saying have you put her in for this or that !

I would be happy if dd got anything for it all to go through the agent and I suppose that would be the CDs first port of call ?

Mouskouri41- maybe if they had 2 submissions for your DC they would make contact with the agent first anyway ?

Has anyone got any words of wisdom or advice please ?
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Post by mouskouri41 »

God it's tricky eh?If she got the role it would have to go through the agent,I'm sure,I'm just a bit nervous that they'll find out that I went through other avenues,hence wanting to withdraw the original application!It is a huge audition-there is a rehearsal today with the agency.Think I'll see how that goes first!
michbv
GRAMMY Award

Post by michbv »

I did the same thing last night but wasn't sure if I was wrong doing it! I saw something suitable on a website and applied, and my agent has mentioned it too. Perhaps if the casting place see you are keen then that's a bonus? But obv you don't want to upset or offend. Tricky :shock:
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

There are various strands to this question:

The ideal situation:

You are represented by an agent who is very familiar with your looks, skills and experience. They do not have anyone else on their books with exactly this mix. You trust them to put you up for anything you are suitable for - and accept that sometimes your opinions on your own suitability/relevant experience will differ and their experience of the industry should normally trump your enthusiasm. You have a reasonable line of communication with your agent: your agent knows that you will only contact them when it is urgent in a business sense. You don't contact them every time you spot something, especially if it's something out in the public domain, because you trust that they will know about it and will have submitted you if suitable. If it's something that is absolutely your dream role, the one you fit like a glove, you may not be able to resist checking with the agent that you have been submitted. The agent will probably sigh, but will understand and will reassure you. If you do this all the time, they will get fed up.

The difficulties:
1. You have no idea how many people your agent represents. You don't know how many clashing clients they have. You are frightened to contact them. You have no confidence that they spot opportunities and will submit you when required.
Potential solutions: a) look for work yourself and hope your agent doesn't find out (why have an agent?)
b) look for work yourself and submit yourself with your agent's name as the contact and let your agent know that you have done this
c) chase your agent to ensure that you have been submitted for any roles you are suitable for
d) ask for a breakdown of all roles you have been submitted for over the last 6 months - perhaps then you will be reassured in part that the agent is working for you

2. notanaveragjoe's problem (or what I understand it to be): your agent has lots of clients like you - you are among the least experienced. Your agent will (and should) always put the client forward who is most likely to get the job. That is the agent behaving in a responsible way that the CD will appreciate - and it is good for business. If you have seen the job, the agent is quite likely to have seen it too - if not now, then in the future. They are unlikely to submit you when you "tell" them to IF they think that their own reputation as an agency will be damaged as a result. However, they may say "I will submit you if you are really keen" - so you can certainly ask. If you have the right skills they may already have submitted you - if you don't, is there any point in applying for this one? Wait until one comes up where you do have the right skills. Also, you may wish to look around for another agency where you are not in competition with lots of people like you within the agency.

3. mouskouri41: I don't think you have too much to worry about here. The stage school won't be taking commission (presumably they are not representing your dd?), so any job offer can go to the agent to deal with it. Unless I have misunderstood. In future though, I would always advise letting your agent know about any kind of submission/application for a role. You could be counting yourself out of a much bigger opportunity that your agent is working towards. Your agent should be kept informed at all times.

4.Livvyvicky: I would advise having a "once and for all" conversation with your agent about this. How do they want you to deal with opportunities you spot? If you think it is something your agent hasn't seen, then an email to the agent might be all that is needed, just to check. An agent can tell you how they like to communicate. I trust that anything I see on Spotlight my agent will submit me for if suitable - if she is not sure whether I am suitable she might do a skill check or availability check before submitting me. If I spot something I think she may possibly not have seen - I email her to check. It's rare that I do this - mostly she has already seen it and submitted me. Because I only rarely check, she doesn't get annoyed when I do.

5.michbv: I think it's the same as Livvyvicky's situation above :)

I hope some of that is helpful/makes sense.

All just my opinion - as ever.
michbv
GRAMMY Award

Post by michbv »

Thanks pg. You sound experienced at all this, which is why this website is so useful for the less experienced too. So I appreciate this advice.
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

i've seen casting breakdowns that have been sent to agents, and often they ask that agents only put forward those who meet their breakdown - Agents don't look very professional if they just send anyone...as it wastes casting directors time - and as pg said, agents have a reputation to maintain so good ones will only send clients who fit the casting.
If it's a role you really want to know if you can be put forward for, I'd call the agent and just ask if there's any chance you can be seen, and if you don't meet the casting brief , the agent should tell you.
jollyjelly
GRAMMY Award

Post by jollyjelly »

I personally would always tell the agent first, that I had seen something, and ask whether they had already submitted and/or if not, would they submit. Trust in your agent.... however, if you get a spurious answer or no answer from them, just go for it, and deal with the finer points if/as and when it goes any further :)
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

My DS was put forward for a TVC by the agent as she knew he matched it
He wasn't chosen to cast :shock:

They couldn't find the right boy so it went to open casting, it was posted here by (I think sophiesocks) :D
DS had an inset day so I took him, we were phoned within 2 hours and told he had the job!!

Extreme example and unlikely to repeat itself but combination of self referral AND the agent !! :lol:
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
michbv
GRAMMY Award

Post by michbv »

Nice one Riverdancefan. That made me chuckle! Sometimes I bet ya wanna stick out ya tongue and say ne ne ne nene Hee Hee!
Congrats! =D> =D>
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

michbv wrote:Nice one Riverdancefan. That made me chuckle! Sometimes I bet ya wanna stick out ya tongue and say ne ne ne nene Hee Hee!
Congrats! =D> =D>
I think my smile was a tinsy bit smug heheheh ;)
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
irrelevant
BRIT Award

Post by irrelevant »

Genevieve wrote:i've seen casting breakdowns that have been sent to agents, and often they ask that agents only put forward those who meet their breakdown - Agents don't look very professional if they just send anyone...as it wastes casting directors time - and as pg said, agents have a reputation to maintain so good ones will only send clients who fit the casting.
One recent reaction from one casting professional - https://twitter.com/marksummerscast/sta ... 2878285824 (warning: language!)

I've submitted Tiddler directly to a handful of jobs I've seen (after reading all the information available carefully!), but cv has agency contact details too - I've not yet been in the situation where they've asked to see her to find out what route they would take!