Agency Audition

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

SNN
BAFTA Award

Agency Audition

Post by SNN »

I got asked to send a self tape to A&J Management hopefully it will go well and I'll get in!
Does anybody have any tips for self taping? (what to wear, how to introduce myself........)
Anybody have any experience with them?
Any other tips are welcomed with open arms!

Thanks
Melaniec123
GRAMMY Award

Re: Agency Audition

Post by Melaniec123 »

DD got asked to self tape for A&J, we sent both a shakespere monologe and a modern one, they replied saying that hers was a look theu were currently very strong with and to try again in a few months. I'd suggest depending on how old you are to show your versatility and if you could play older/younger roles then try to show this through your monologues, hope it works out for you, do let us know how you get on :)
Mel x
SNN
BAFTA Award

Post by SNN »

Thanks, that was really helpful! Hopefully I don't have a look that is common in their book!
Hopefully your dd will get in on her next try :D
Melaniec123
GRAMMY Award

Post by Melaniec123 »

Your welcome,thanks DD's represented by another agency now though, but good luck:) x
SNN
BAFTA Award

Post by SNN »

Well done to her, they said to send a monologue to camera, if I did two or three would it be bad or would it be fine?
I want to do a younger monologue, a comedic one and one in an American accent.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Hello there. My two penn'orth:

I would just do one, if that is what they have asked you for. The likelihood is that they will only watch a couple of minutes - if that. It is possible to make up your mind very quickly whether you are interested enough in someone to want to see more of them.

Stick to something modern and something that is as close to you in type, age and accent as you can. They want to see you perform something in your casting bracket. They are interested in whether you can deliver the goods in the type of thing you are most likely to get work in - if you see what I mean. They are not, at this stage, looking to see how versatile you are. I wouldn't bother with an American accent. Most people want the genuine article when it comes to accents.

I wouldn't bother with Shakespeare either - unless you are actually old enough realistically to be cast in a Shakespeare play. Even then, I wouldn't put Shakespeare on a filmed audition/selection tape unless it had been specifically requested.

In terms of what to wear - it doesn't matter all that much. Something that doesn't detract from your performance, and nothing with a very busy pattern. Make sure your hair is out of your eyes.

Hope it goes well :D
SNN
BAFTA Award

Post by SNN »

Thanks! I just learnt a new word (penn'orth) and thanks for the advice.
I'm going to just do the comedic one.
Thanks for all of your advice pg, without you I have no idea where I'd be! (probably paying a scam agency for representation, getting no jobs and being to scared to contact the agents about it :D )
rebekahamy
BRIT Award

Post by rebekahamy »

Hi there, if you don't mind me asking SNN & Melaniec123 how old are you/your dds? I'm just asking as I was also asked to self tape for A&J a few months ago and received the same response of 'mine is a look that is currently very strong and they are not looking to expand on at present but try again in a few months' and so I was just interested to see if either of you were in the same age bracket as me :)
"Remember that girl who gave up?
Neither does anyone else."

http://www.starnow.co.uk/rebekahamy
Melaniec123
GRAMMY Award

Post by Melaniec123 »

My DD's 15 :) i have to say I have heard a few people have recieved this same response! :-k
rebekahamy
BRIT Award

Post by rebekahamy »

Similar kind of age bracket to me then (young looking 19) Hmm yes I have too, I guess they must see a lot of this kind of age/look and give the same response and only take on the very very few. I'd be interested to hear if anyone 'tried again in a few months time' and was then successful..

I'm wondering if its worth re-applying at all :-k Nothing to loose I suppose..
"Remember that girl who gave up?
Neither does anyone else."

http://www.starnow.co.uk/rebekahamy
SNN
BAFTA Award

Post by SNN »

I'm 13 but I look like I'm around 10 if that hels at all
hopesanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by hopesanddreams »

I got that same response too! I'm 11 and 5 ft 0, I haven't sent my video in yet I'm recording it on Wednesday or Thursday, need to find the right monologue though! GL and I wish you all the best! You will get in remember that :)

Hope to be in the same category as you x :)

http://www.starnow.co.uk/tatyanatshiayima
SNN
BAFTA Award

Post by SNN »

Good luck to you too! I'm sure you'll get in as well, I've been wanting to send it but I've been pretty sick lately!
hopesanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by hopesanddreams »

We'll get those videos in soon :P get better soon! :)
SNN
BAFTA Award

Post by SNN »

Thanks! :D