Do all agencies offer you the same oppurtunities?

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hippieflowers
BRIT Award

Do all agencies offer you the same oppurtunities?

Post by Hippieflowers »

I know it sounds like a stupid question but when picking an agency you would like to attempt getting into, you have a few things that are fizzing about in your mind, but the one main thing for me is will they all offer the same oppurtunities. I know this may seem far out of reach but I would love to act in films... so if I go with one agency instead of an other will I not get the oppurtunity to audition....
If you don't reach for the moon you can't follow the stars!
don't be second best be number one!

From Jessie J stand up
rebekahamy
BRIT Award

Re: Do all agencies offer you the same oppurtunities?

Post by rebekahamy »

I'm not an expert, but I believe that the majority of agencies will get the same job briefs and opportunities through, however, you may have a slight advantage depending on who your agent is, as some casting directors will trust suggestions from agents they already know well, and therefore may take you more seriously. Having said that though, I think it still mainly comes down to being right for the role/having the right experience/right headshot. :)
"Remember that girl who gave up?
Neither does anyone else."

http://www.starnow.co.uk/rebekahamy
Hippieflowers
BRIT Award

Post by Hippieflowers »

Ok thanks :D
If you don't reach for the moon you can't follow the stars!
don't be second best be number one!

From Jessie J stand up
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Not all agencies have the same information from CDs. CDs do have favoured agencies - however, this is often to do with the agent representing the actors that the CDs want.

Many (most?) acting jobs don't get filled via acting "breakdowns". Certainly not the high profile jobs. Commercials are a bit different, but a heck of a lot of Film and TV roles never go out in a breakdown. There are quite a number of theatre jobs that don't either. The directors and CDs know who they want to see and they go directly to the agent that represents the actors concerned. The shortlist gets drawn up without a casting breakdown even being issued to agents. Getting in through the door of a CD or director is often the hardest thing for an actor - if you have done so, and the CD/director liked what you did, then you stand a good chance of being invited back for something else.

However, where breakdowns are sent out, then a lot of agents will see them. Agents certainly see many more casting opportunities than actors (adult actors can see some Spotlight casting opportunities). Sometimes they will only go to a select list - and that will be the CD and Directors choice, and it won't always be the same list.

Once the agent gets the breakdown then a number of things influence your chances of being seen - not all of these are within an agent's control and not all that many of them are really within an actor's control either!