Assets Casting agency

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

iluvacting123
Nominee

Assets Casting agency

Post by iluvacting123 »

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Assets Casting Agency

I was thinking of applying for them and just wanted to know if they were any good :) Need some feedback :P

Thanks a lot guys
xxx :D
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Assets Casting agency

Post by pg »

It depends what you want. If you want an acting agency then I would say this is not the right agency for you. I'm happy to expand on that, but I've said the same things so many times on these boards that I'm sure everyone is fed up with it!
iluvacting123
Nominee

Post by iluvacting123 »

Ah well to save everyone else from hearing it again could you send ny a private message with what you.know about then please? Thanks so much x
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Don't mind writing it again - it's just the same advice as usual: :D

If you want an acting agency you need to find an agency that insists on seeing what you are like as an actor, either by seeing you in a show or on screen, auditioning you or watching a showreel. An agent cannot represent you properly as an actor if they don't know whether you are any good as an actor and Directors and CDs won't take an agency seriously if the agency doesn't know what their actors are like.

This agency looks like a model agency first and foremost (I couldn't find any actors, in fact). Their models may well get work in commercials etc or possibly as walk-ons/supporting artistes but are unlikely to be considered for anything else. To be honest I can't see many CDs using this agency as the only way you appear to be able to book models is by filling in a form - without knowing whether or not someone is available. Do you know any CDs who would book someone in for an audition like this? I certainly don't. It makes me think the whole thing is just automated and that there isn't really an "agent" at all.

I don't know anything specifically about this agency - I'm just going from what I see on their website. I am always wary of on-line agencies that don't have a telephone number where you can talk to someone directly. If I wanted to book a model I certainly wouldn't want to be talking to an answerphone. The address also doesn't say whereabouts on Jermyn Street it is either and it doesn't have a full postcode, which also makes me a bit wary.

I wouldn't sign up to any agency unless I could have a face to face meeting with the agent and found that they were able to answer all my questions.
spidermouse71
Nominee

Post by spidermouse71 »

My daughter has just been asked to go for a test shoot, the shoot is free, there is also an interview. There are no fees to pay and no cost except actually getting to the photo studio. So I would say apply, they are not guaranteeing work or that they will promote you, as it does depend whether they feel they can represent you. I would say apply, you have nothing to lose, just be cautious before you actually sign up to them if successful xxx
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Honestly, I cannot see how an agent can operate properly if I (as an employer) can't find out how to CONTACT them.

The only telephone number is voicemail. If I am a CD I want to be able to talk to an agent. If I want to book a model, I want to know their availability - I don't want to have to fill in a form and wait for a response. Why do I have to write to them? Where exactly are their offices? Why can't I visit them? Where does the photo shoot take place? Where does the interview take place? I would suggest finding that out!

I would be very dubious about this. I expect they will try to sell you photographs.

If you want to find acting work, join an acting agency (Assets isn't one). If you want to be a model - go for a meeting with a modelling agency (you don't need a photo shoot for this). If you want to join a commercials agency - send your own photo and CV and see whether they will accept you.

Photoshoots needed for representation are a big red flag. Be very wary!

Also, do some internet research into this company - there are certainly enough people out there suggesting that this is a photoshoot scam (i.e. free test shoot and then offering to sell you the photographs - for lots of lovely money).

And welcome to NAPM by the way! It's always interesting to see what prompts someone to post on the forum. :D ;) Do report back, won't you?