ESSEX LEA PLEASE CHANGE THE 21 DAY LICENCE RULE!!!

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

mathsmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: ESSEX LEA PLEASE CHANGE THE 21 DAY LICENCE RULE!!!

Post by mathsmum »

allenli wrote:The other alternative is that we could all volunteer to do the licences for the council! I know it is just a case of stamping a form and checking records so can't take long and if everyone who has a DS/DD in the business and has some free hours volunteered, problem solved!
i would hope it also involves checking with the production company that they have everything set up appropriately for children working and that there is a responsible person on the production side (ie not just the chaperone) totally aware of the licencing rules
Life is complex - some of it is real, some of it is imaginary.
wissymo
GRAMMY Award

Post by wissymo »

I think there is much more to it than stamping a form.They do carry a lot of responsibility when they issue a licence to say that a child can work and im sure
it would come back to them at some point if anything were to go wrong.
I would think its a funding issue,its something that affects a small amount of people (unlike bins) so it wont be a council priority when money is tight.
Unless there is a lot of noise/petitions/pestering it may get swept under the carpet. ](*,)
Georgeoliver
GRAMMY Award

Post by Georgeoliver »

LETTER TO MY LOCAL MP..... please comment or let me know what I should change or add or even if it makes sense!! I'm really not good at putting my thoughts into writing but as I feel so strongly about this I wanted to try.... :oops:

My ds aged 7 has been signed to an agency for advertising and promotional work since he was aged 2 and has become very well known as a succesful child model. At age 6 he was signed by an agency for tv,film and theatre. Under the childrens and young persons Act I have to apply for a licence from Essex County Council for each assignment he is given, which sets out the number of hours he is allowed to work, the rest breaks he needs and is also the proof required to take him out of school if needed.The law currently states that you are required to apply for a licence a minimum of 21 days before it it required. Essex County Council turned arouned a licence wthin 10 days sometimes 7 but since May our agency was told that due to staff shortages they would now need 21 days untill further notice. It has become increasingly difficult to obtain the kind of work ds does because unless the client is able to give 21 days notice for a job the agency are not able to suggest him for work. The agency cannot act unprofessionaly to the client in suggesting a child who is not available for a job.
This is affecting all the children who come under Essex and I know there are lots of unhappy parents like myself. The jobs for modelling especially all seem to be very last minute and a licence is needed quickly. The clients are not prepared to wait 21 days so would choose another child who can produce a licence. It seems very unfair to the children under Essex and they are missing out on great opportunities and are being held back by this 21 day rule.
I find it very frustrating that all LEA'S have a different set of rules,some 21 days, some 10, some 7, some have an open licence and some will even produce a licence within an hour. Its just a postcode lottery that determines which children are put forward for work and I find it disgraceful.
All is needed is the government to instruct all the local authorities to one rule that they can work to and it would make it fair to all children. The poor children go through castings, then the excitement of call backs. They then if lucky get told they have the job only to be let down right at the end because the County Council will not produce a licence in time for them to shoot or film ect
With your experience as a marketing director together with your business acumen, I'm sure you will understand the impracticalities of this licensing rule. I would be very greatful if you would take it upon yourself to investigate the possibility of a change in the law to amend the 21 day rule to at least 7 days that is used by most councils. I know I speak for many others who have children in this line of work, not only in Essex but all over the Uk, where in these times of recession they need to plan for their childs future, and indeed my ds's earnings to date would help towards university when the time comes.
I do hope you will be able to help us and I thankyou for taking the time to read my letter. I await your reply with anticipation.
Que sera sera
pinky3
GRAMMY Award

Post by pinky3 »

Sounds great to me. (with grateful not greatful). All the important points are well made. Is there anyway other Essex based people can add their names - maybe by authorising you to do so? Not sure how that would work. :D
Georgeoliver
GRAMMY Award

Post by Georgeoliver »

thanks for pointing that out pinky3 :D Would be good to have others say they agree with me but I'm not sure how it would work!
Que sera sera